• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D/D20 Childish and Immature?

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Just to take this thread back to the original topic...

Rel and SHARK were discussing RM.

Interestingly enough, my experience is almost opposite to both you guys.

I pretty much started with MERP/RM.

Appart from a few little asides, it's all been RM ever since.

Finally needing a serious break, I had a look at 3e, liked what I saw, and gave it a go.

Now, not quite 12 months later, I am desperate for a return to my beloved RM.

Oh, and SHARK - 8 hours for a character? Whoa. I can do 50th level, spending level by level in 2 and a half tops...:p

BTW, Rel, good job on Essence Companion. And I agree with you on overabundance of skills. The Herb one is the example I always use when making that point. Damn simple problem to fix, though.

....What's that? Oh, ok, this isn't the original topic. :D

SableWyvern

Adventurer
PS - Rel:

I seem to recall reading a post of yours quite some time ago where you made it clear you weren't too happy with ICE.

Does that extend to new ICE? If not, are you looking to possibly do any work for them in the future? Just wondering.

:)

Agglomérante

First Post
I think I'm on topic here. Sorry if i've misinterpreted the thread.

From what I understand of the theory of emotional intelligence, it's a mix of nature and nurture and can be improved with practice throughout life, and the earlier started the better.

The bummer about D&D (RPGs) is that it's easy to sink too much attention into the game, partly because the system implicitly demands it.

"Too much" time invested in the game is necessarily time not spent developing social skills in less predictable (i.e., more challenging), ordinary, social situations.

To put it in 3e terms, some people get fewer skill points than others, initially, but everybody acquires more in time and chooses where to put them.

Agglomérante

"Caution! This is the second supplement to the highly addictive game DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. Handle it at your own risk. Even a brief perusal can infect the reader with a the desire to do heroic deeds, cast mighty magical spells, and seek to wrest treasure from hideous monsters. The most insidious factor, however, is the secondary nature of this work. Any reader who becomes infected from this work will immediately develop a craving for the other parts, i.e., DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, GREYHAWK (supplement I), CHAINMAIL (medieval miniatures rules), polyhedra dice, and various and sundry other items. Anyone so completely exposed will certainly be hopelessly lost. In short, if you are not already an addict of fantasy adventure, put his booklet down quickly and flee!"
-- Gary Gygax, Foreword to Blackmoor, 1975

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
We should probably open up a tangent thread for this but I don't know how to do that...

I've read the first and third Borribles books. Does anyone have a copy of the middle one that it would be possible for me to read? I'm very curious as to how Knocker and the others escape from the Wendles.

Secondly, S'mon, I don't have your email address, so try emailing me ghost@funny.co.uk. We'll have a chat, I may well be free on sundays!

And lastly, I'm really finding it neat that you guys are actually quoting me on this thread! No one's ever quoted me before. Sniff. :D

D&D isn't inherently immature. But some gamers are. My $0.02

Re: Talking power (long-winded)

Feliath said:
Let's look at just one of the things in the the Iliad, shall we? OK, here's Ajax. He's invulnerable - with the exception of one heel. This would definitely be considered munchkin in an RPG, but I doubt that's what people see in the Iliad. The invulnerability is there to make a point, to help tell a story. (About hubris, BTW.)
I think you're referring to Achilles here, not Ajax. Darned good point, though. Although I don't know how well it applies to any games I've ever seen, more's the pity.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
SableWyvern said:
PS - Rel:

I seem to recall reading a post of yours quite some time ago where you made it clear you weren't too happy with ICE.

Does that extend to new ICE? If not, are you looking to possibly do any work for them in the future? Just wondering.

Greetings, SableWyvern. First, I hope you understand that earlier in this thread, I wasn't trying to bag on ICE or RM. I don't think the system is "bad" (I think it's been fairly well thrashed out how utterly subjective judging a roleplaying system can be).

Thanks for the compliments on the EC. I hope you got the errata. ;)

And you recall correctly that I wasn't too happy with ICE. There was a time when it seemed that they were reluctant to pay folks their royalties and anybody who had the gall to ask for them was considered greedy and impatient.

As it happens, Bruce, who is now president of the new ICE, was one of the people who we had a problem with because he was rude and dismissive when we tried to collect they monies they owed us. But I'm willing to chalk that up to him having a bad day and hold no animosity toward him over it now.

Ergo, I wish nothing but the best for the company now and hope they are able to prosper. That said, I have no further plans to do work for them since the system presently holds little interest for me. I would very much like to come to some agreement with them about repurchasing the rights to the Essence Companion so that it is again available to the people who play the game (available for less than $100 on e-bay). But so far, we have not been contacted regarding such an agreement.

Thanks for your inquiry and the compliment. Good gaming.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
SHARK said:

I hope Kaptain Kantrip, as well as others, can stop by and contribute.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Man, the things that happen when I'm gone. I leave both the Harn forum and ENWorld for a week or two (real life concerns intruded, unfortunately), and there are two huge threads on the issue I hold so near and dear to my heart, LOL.

Well, look, hopefully I can say a few things here without sparking a flame war or causing the thread to devolve into something uncivil... not that I've bothered to read more than a handful of posts in it yet, except SHARK's, Gygax's and a few others on page 1 and 2, so don't freak out if this has already been covered...

When I said D&D/d20 (after 1e) is obsessed with childish, immature concepts, I did not provide clear examples in my haste to post and inherent laziness. Here are a few examples:

#1: When Gygax left TSR, Lorraine Williams took over and started catering to the religious right and trying to curb "angry mother syndrome" (this was mentioned in a Dragon mag of the time). They removed all references to demons, devils, daemons and other classic staples of fantasy and turned them into "outsiders" (native races from another plane), a deplorable concept that continues in 3e, though in a compromised revision that doesn't work, IMO. Is anyone in their right mind going to stick up for Ms. Williams? I don't think so!

#2: In 2e under Ms. Williams, we saw a deliberate dumbing down of characters and concepts (such as in FR with Time of Troubles and power boosting everyone to retarded levels of omipotence). We also saw the destruction (out of spite) by Ms. William's of Gygax's beloved Greyhawk setting. Again, Ms. William's regime reduced the number of adventure modules (and the ones that were put out were vastly inferior in many cases to 1e ones such as Ravenloft or Tomb of Horrors, or Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth) in favor of endless sourcebooks of dubious quality and usefulness.

#3: Gone was the suggestive and lurid art of 1e, with naked girls and demonic sacrifice and gore, all fantasy genre staples.

#4: The increased rules of 2e restricted player and GM choice rather than enhanced it (though I did like 2.5e's Skills & Powers for giving me more freedom in character creation). 3e goes a long way toward fixing this problem, but not far enough. 3e is a half-measure mired in archaic rules and concepts. Even 3e's designers will tell you that they didn't go far enough in changing the rules!

#5: The world settings in 2e were childish or poorly conceived: Planescape, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, even Birthright. Greyhawk was quickly dropped (after being ruined by Wars) and FR spiralled out of control. The original 1e gray boxed set was good, but 2e's FR was when I lost interest.

#6: Guidelines for adventures and other products were restricted, keeping out certain "adult" subject matter. These 2e guidelines are still more or less in effect with 3e, though things are loosening up with the Book of Vile Darkness it seems, but the fact that such is relegated to a separate product instead of liberally mixed in with the core books clearly shows that political correctness and fear of angry moms/religious right still holds sway at WoTC.

#7: 1e was revolutionary for its time and reeked of an abiding love and respect for the genre, embracing all its staples. This was annihilated in 2e and only partially reintroduced in 3e... again, a half-measure to "play it safe". Playing it safe never satisfies either side you're trying to appeal to. Don't they teach that in marketing class? At any rate, all 2e was was a "paint by numbers" minor tweak to 1e with a few concepts ripped off from other systems (like having Skills, like Palldaium FRPG, GURPS, etc.). 3e was a major tweak and big improvement, but did not go far enough to bringing the rules set up to date and "state of the art", stubbornly clinging to the "old ways" for fear of aliennating the old school fans.

Look, I made it through the entire post without praising Harn! I don't want this to turn into a Harn vs. D&D thread, but I will point out that Harn has never changed its content policies and has always included demons, rape, torture, incest, human sacrifice, and other "adult" themes. That's one of the reasons I prefer Harn. It never "dumbed down" or succumbed to the iron fist of political correctness, and I have to respect and admire them for that. I wish I could say the same for D&D, I really do, and if Gygax were still running the show, I'm sure I could, because Gary would never have betrayed and disrespected his fans like Ms. Williams did, nor tried to placate both sides with half-measures like WoTC has done.

I want to make it clear that D&D was my first RPG, that I love the gift Gary gave us, and that Gary Gygax made me a better person through D&D. I played every edition of the game, and I love the game, I just don't love what it has become over the intervening decades since Gary left. I think Harn (the setting) has stayed true to the spirit of what Gary started without compromise, and that their HarnMaster rules are vastly superior to any version of D&D or d20 for running more realistic characters and combats.

PS: Hi, Gary! **waves** :D

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Tallarn said:
I've read the first and third Borribles books. Does anyone have a copy of the middle one that it would be possible for me to read? I'm very curious as to how Knocker and the others escape from the Wendles.
Amazon has a couple of copies for sale here. The Borribles Go For Broke. It's excellent, of course.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled nonsense

Psion

Adventurer
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Well, look, hopefully I can say a few things here without sparking a flame war or causing the thread to devolve into something uncivil...

Hope springs eternal.

When I said D&D/d20 (after 1e) is obsessed with childish, immature concepts, I did not provide clear examples in my haste to post and inherent laziness. Here are a few examples:

So, you really think that more attempts to objectivize your preferences is going to smooth things over? I think you should try to live and let live and learn that some people don't see value in the same things you do.

#1: When Gygax left TSR, Lorraine Williams took over

Which has precisely nothing to do with 3e.

Moving right along...

#2: In 2e under Ms. Williams,

ibid

#3: Gone was the suggestive and lurid art of 1e, with naked girls and demonic sacrifice and gore, all fantasy genre staples.

Seeking out that sort of material is a sign of juvenility, not maturity AFAIAC.

#4: The increased rules of 2e restricted player and GM choice rather than enhanced it (though I did like 2.5e's Skills & Powers for giving me more freedom in character creation).

This I agree with.

3e goes a long way toward fixing this problem, but not far enough.

This I do not. 3e is more flexible than anything that came before.

Even were it not, that is not a sign of immaturity. There are a flood of items on the market that have more flexibility that either Harnmaster or D&D. But here's the rub: the ultimate in flexibility is not an objectively desirable state. What someone prefers is a matter of personal preference.

And I see in no way how this relates to maturity.

#5: The world settings in 2e were childish or poorly conceived: Planescape, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, even Birthright.

So much for not being contentious. AFAIAC, all of those settings are more "adult" and sophisticated than what came before, and for you to imply otherwise makes me think you have no real in-depth knowledge about them.

Frex:

Planescape passes up simple hack-n-slash in exchange for a deeper focus on philosophy, politics, and moral quandry. Hardly "childish."

Ravenloft has themes of gothic horror and tragedy. Again, not what I would call childish.

And so on.

#6: Guidelines for adventures and other products were restricted, keeping out certain "adult" subject matter. These 2e guidelines are still more or less in effect with 3e, though things are loosening up with the Book of Vile Darkness it seems, but the fact that such is relegated to a separate product instead of liberally mixed in with the core books clearly shows that political correctness and fear of angry moms/religious right still holds sway at WoTC.

Once again, slathering on lots of racy subject matter would be a sign of going for baser values, which to me is another sign of childishness.

#7: 3e was a major tweak and big improvement, but did not go far enough to bringing the rules set up to date and "state of the art", stubbornly clinging to the "old ways" for fear of aliennating the old school fans.

So, not trying to alienate your faithful customers is a bad thing? :confused:

Look, I made it through the entire post without praising Harn!

I know you don't get this yet, but we shall try again (again, hope springs eternal) :

People aren't offended by you praising Harn. Really

What did before that raised peoples' hackles, and what you have spent this whole post doing, is passing judgement upon their preferences in an attempt to objectivize your own. When will you learn?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads