• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is my DM being fair?

cmad1977

Hero
The thing that stands out to me is, they can be surprised *inside the game world*, they just cannot be "surprised" in a gaming sense. They take their first turn as normal no matter how shocked, dismayed, etc they are by the ambush. They don't necessarily see an ambush or sucker punch coming, they just respond to it as if they were ready for it, because they are always ready for it.

Exactly! The guys are ambushed 'all the time' or turn a corner they didn't prepare for or...
It's just that the samurai and the hardened pirate captain react in time while the altar boy and the sorcerer scream in fear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasper

Rotten DM
Exactly! The guys are ambushed 'all the time' or turn a corner they didn't prepare for or...
It's just that the samurai and the hardened pirate captain react in time while the altar boy and the sorcerer scream in fear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I DID NOT SCREAM IN FEAR, I was sudden moved by the power of my god. And ignore that wet spot, my waterskin has developed a leak.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Again, I couldn't disagree more.

One of my DMs would frequently say 'ok, so if you are all entering the cavern I need you all to roll initiative'. He might then describe the cavern darkening, or the sound of tiny feet from somewhere, sometimes nothing - just an eerie silence.

We would then take turns in order until the attack came (with strictly no metagaming), maybe a Piercer would drop when a PC stood on a certain spot - and we would start combat from the point the attack began. If a PC with Alert was in any position to take an action (and was ahead of the enemy in the initiative order at this point) then they would get a chance to do so.

It just feels *better* that way imho.

You're describing a different thing, which is round by round exploration with no combat swoosh. It could be done entirely without rolling initiative ever -- just set an order and go, add monsters whenever. I don't really even see the point of the initiative roll -- as you say there's no metagaming, so I'm assuming that there are occasions that occur without any combat at all, just exploration round by round. And, again, this is no where near the only, or even best, way to get 'a real sense of tension.' But if you like it, have fun.

Harzel

Adventurer
It is pointed out, prior to the offer being made public, that the lot happens to contain three Bugattis and two McLarens, in addition to the fleet of old Camrys. The person removes the five cars, and sells off the rest.

Hey there now, wait just a second! Let's not be throwing shade on old Camrys. I have a 1991 Camry with 218K miles that is still going strong. Er, well, it's going at least.

Harzel

Adventurer
Your argument, in effect, is that if a DM limits anything for balance reasons, they will eventually get rid of everything, and the group will end up playing Monopoly instead. Which is ... not right.

What? First old Camry's and now Monopoly! Have you no shame, sir? :p

Harzel

Adventurer

Oh, geez! First old Camrys, then Monopoly, and now altar boys and sorcerers! Truly this thread is out of control.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
And when the DM stops enjoying a game, that is probably the single worst thing that can happen to a table. Without a DM who is invested in a system/setting a game is doomed. I would go as far as to say that the DM's enjoyment is considerably more important than everyone else's, as they are the ones who have to invest the most in terms of time (and usually money) into the game.

There is not much different between a DM who is not invested and a Player on his phone. DnD is different to games like Magic where your fun level corresponds to the amount of money you pay.

Satyrn

First Post
If your DM says he is going to take your alert feat from you...

Just say- "I'm not surprised."

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

YEEEEEAHHHHHH!

I'm lazy, but I prefer my emoticons to be animated

csimiamiyeah.gif

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads