• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Even if they are the same entity I've got to admit that I like the name Takhisis better, and it seems like Dragonlance is where the entity that may or may not be the same as Tiamat had the most impact as the main force of evil in the setting.

dave2008

Legend
Even if they are the same entity I've got to admit that I like the name Takhisis better, and it seems like Dragonlance is where the entity that may or may not be the same as Tiamat had the most impact as the main force of evil in the setting.
I much prefer Tiamat, but maybe because she is a RL Sumerian / Babylonian primordial dragon goddess of chaos and feared by the whole pantheon. However, I also don't like the "hisis" sound either.

For what it's worth, I just watched the short video on YouTube from 2019 where Joe Manganiello (who created the character of Arkhan the Cruel featured as a paladin of Tiamat in both Critical Role and Descent into Avernus) states that, while he thinks Tiamat and Takhisis are the same, he also implies that he had discussions with WotC employees who disagreed and might be displeased with him saying they are the same being.

So apparently at least some people at WotC don't think Tiamat should be the same as Takhisis, but they're apparently in the minority.

darjr

I crit!
For what it's worth, I just watched the short video on YouTube from 2019 where Joe Manganiello (who created the character of Arkhan the Cruel featured as a paladin of Tiamat in both Critical Role and Descent into Avernus) states that, while he thinks Tiamat and Takhisis are the same, he also implies that he had discussions with WotC employees who disagreed and might be displeased with him saying they are the same being.

So apparently at least some people at WotC don't think Tiamat should be the same as Takhisis, but they're apparently in the minority.
Yea. My guess is this was a big ole conversation within WotC D&D.

Remove ads

Remove ads