D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

dave2008

Legend
Marduk's rivalry with Tiamat is explicitly mentioned in On Hallowed Ground (where Marduk is presented as being a separate deity from Bahamut). Insofar as the Forgotten Realms goes, Powers & Pantheons put Marduk as one of the members of the Untheric pantheon whose manifestation was destroyed (severing his connection to Realmspace) during the Battle of the Gods (against the orc gods) in -1071 DR (P&P, p. 95).

Dragons of Faerûn (p. 8), on the other hand, says that Marduk was always an alias of Bahamut (at least in the Realms), citing his being reduced in power as a result of the Battle of the Gods.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.
Marduk's battles with Tiamat are also mentioned in the 1e Deities and Demigods

dave2008

Legend
Fun fact: according to page 134 of Powers & Pantheons, while Tiamat's draconic avatar always has five heads, she can have the colors of those heads be any combination of blue, red, green, black, white, brown, or yellow.
In 4e she is hinted at having many avatars -some with only 1 head! And of course a dark-haired female humanoid mage

dave2008

Legend
Exactly. If I had my way, the worlds of DnD would stay an actual multi-verse, rather than a shared universe that gets called a multiverse even though all the worlds you make characters in are on the same plane of existence. Dragonlance should be in it's own cosmology, as should FR, and Greyhawk, and Athas, and Eberron, and whatever they come up with next. Let Planescape and the like present an alternate cosmology that combines all the worlds. No one in 2021 under the age of 50 is confused by AUs.
I just thought I would point out that the traditional many of "Multiverse" is not the same as the now commonly accepted definition of "Multiverse." I am sure you know this, but I thought it was an important distinction.

D&D Multiverse: multiple planes of existing. Each plane being different from the other (sometimes vastly so), but also connected.
Pulp Multiverse: alternate realities, separate from each, but typically all bearing some resemblance to our reality

Personally I prefer the D&D method to the pseudo-science pulp definition. But everyone is different!

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
[Here Be Spoilers for War of Souls]

As the War of Souls and Weis’s Mina trilogy further depicted things, I’ve gotten the sense that Dragonlance gods are (as always shown) a bit weird in their divinity. There’s always the notion of High God and his “calling from beyond” of beings to grant divine power to, then their divine children (all of course a bit of Jeff Grubb’s old Neoplatonist “original Toril” campaign document given a bit of a Mormon metaphysical spin by Tracy Hickman. Moreso than even with other gods in D&D, where the being and the power can be separated, it feels more like hypostases.

Paladine is and is not Bahamut is as much as the being who is now Valthonis is complete and the echoing divinity Bahamut is complete. The incorporated Draco Paladin is both. Similarly, the being that was Takhisis and the continuing echoing divinity Tiamat incorporated into something combined but unique in Draco Cerebrint. (We all know that somehow Astinius is Gilean, but Astinius as he likely exists until the end of Krynn and the Book as Highgod creates it at the beginning of Krynn from a different eternal perspective are hypostases) Even the fact that Takhisis can “steal the world” from Krynnspace to ‘Dragonspace’ likely involves the strings of that echo shared between her and Universal Tiamat, like a user following a network along to a different terminal.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
There’s always the notion of High God and his “calling from beyond” of beings to grant divine power to, then their divine children
I picked up a hardcopy of Dragons of a Vanished Moon recently despite having the softcover, because the hardcover was the only version that had the appendix describing how Chaos (from Dragons of Summer Flame) was actually "Ionthas," and wasn't really the equal of the High God (plus the extended explanation of how Takhisis stole the world from its timeline as well as through space).

Remove ads

Remove ads