D&D 5E Is Shillelagh essential?

stuffnsuch

Explorer
Noob needs all your wisdom re: my wisdom and picking a new cantrip.
Lvl 4 Goliath moon druid with +2 Str and +4 Wis
Currently if I get stuck in melee in caster form I have Thornwhip (1d6; 2d6 from Lvl 5) and my QStaff (I have a shield so this is 1d6 +2). With Shillelagh my QStaff would be 1d8+4 but it would mean missing out on a more fun utility cantrip.
Do you think I need two damage-based cantrips or, seeing as my Str isn't exactly a dump stat is Shillelagh less of an auto-pick as it is for most casters? Is this a significant chance to hit/damage increase? Are magical weapons that handy vs. other great cantrips?
Thanks!

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
How often are you stuck in melee without wildshape? Ideally that should be uncommon, so spending two cantrips on it doesn't seem worthwhile.

Between thorn whip and shillelagh, though, I'd probably take shillelagh myself. I guess that you won't be set up usually to take much advantage of the pull from thornwhip. (And I'd say the +2 to hit from shillelagh is more significant than the +2 damage.)

jgsugden

Legend
It is not essential. Figure out what sounds like the most fun and just do it. Don't worry too much about whether it is optimal - the game allows for suboptimal fun options.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In D&D even things that are labeled "Essentials" turn out not to be essential, at all...
;P

Seriously, though it varies with other choices - weapon, feast etc - you make that synergize with it, it could be 'essential' to a specific build (IDK, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to 5e optimization, I'm sure you can find a 'guide' somewhere). More importantly, it will vary wildly with the style of your DM and the kinds of challenges he throws at you. Could be the best thing ever, could be worthless.

Take what fits your concept and trust your DM to make it all work.

Last edited:

stuffnsuch

Explorer
Ok, thanks all, settled my mind that I should just pick whatever suits the character...going to roll with the wildshape a.k.a Obsessed With Turning Things Into Other Things so Shape Water it is

stuffnsuch

Explorer
How often are you stuck in melee without wildshape?

Funnily enough I was thinking that I might be better off trading in Thornwhip for Frostbite. The CON save isn't ideal but 2d6 + disadvantage on next weapon attack role seems a great way for a soft caster to run away and maybe avoid an opportunity attack

ccs

41st lv DM
All things being equal? Always pick whatever you think best represents the character you want to play.

My group succeeded to play a reasonable campaign just fine without any of the main damaging cantrips for any of the wizards, sorcs, druids, or clerics, instead having them use melee and ranged weapons. The game is flexible like that.

Remove ads