D&D 5E Is the Default Playstyle of 5E "Monty Haul?"

5e doesn't seem to have those kind of experiences built into the game. It's assumed your party is going to win every fight without retreating. It's unnecessary to study a monster before facing it to develop tactics or to acquire special weapons or scrolls to win.
5e seems to me to be harder to TPK by mistake, but not harder to down or kill a PC. as a 2e 3e and 4e DM I never found my party to NEED to run but I also found many times that I could by mistake over do it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I agree completely, the fact that wotc made BA a design goal doesn't change the fact that it only works at lower levels & the cons quickly outweigh the pros as levels advance. BA is right there woven into the root cause for way too many of 5e's issues.
The cons include some things that really annoy me - what examples are you reacting to?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Honestly, retreating is a problem with a lot of games, because they don't really address ways to successfully do it, and the basic movement/combat mechanics don't really engage with it. Its why when people ask "Why don't people try to retreat more often", while there are multiple reasons that can apply, the easiest is "Because they think they'll fail, and a failed retreat is worse than just trying to fight to the bitter end."
I found skill challenges a wonderful way to enable chases (its even one of the more interesting type of SC)

dave2008

Legend
There's also the fact that people are saying CR sixteen monsters are good for a level six party. That makes for big problems when the party is eight twelve or thirteen with dramatically more HP dramatically better capabilities & almost certainly at least some better gear that all compounds together.
The real point is monsters whose XP = a CR 16 monster. It doesn't have to be one monster.

And for solo monster fights it actually works well with the system as we have monsters going up to CR 30. If you check out How to Create Epic Encounters by DMDave, a CR 30 monster is a challenge for a lvl 20 party of 4 PCS. It seems to work as intended.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Simple answer. They split the party and kick in both doors at the same time triggering what were supposed to be two separate encounters. Then Bob, the guy that triggered the second encounter, turns invisible and runs away leaving my PC as the sole front line fighter but I can't complain because we're just here to have fun, right? I mean Bob is allowed to have fun even if it means my PC gets the *** beaten out of them yet again. Because "it's what his character would do". :mad:
Sounds about like SOP around here... :)

dave2008

Legend
I agree completely, the fact that wotc made BA a design goal doesn't change the fact that it only works at lower levels & the cons quickly outweigh the pros as levels advance. BA is right there woven into the root cause for way too many of 5e's issues.
I like BA conceptually and it works for our group, but I think it could be improved. What do you see as the flaws/cons that need to be addressed?

My personal thought is that the implementation / execution needs to be improved, but the concept is fine.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Uh yeah... if you treat monsters with the same modicum of reality and sense that players treat their PCs.

If you are a orc band that got attacked by these interlopers and they then ran off after you defended yourself... you don't need to go chasing after them. You let them run off, and then you pack up your gear and head off for safer pastures. Why continue a fight that you don't need to get into?

The problem you bring up... to me is based upon a "gaming" mentality that many people have of not treating the monsters as actual thinking beings, but rather just mechanical doo-dads that act in accordance to the "game rules" and the "encounter". Our thinking of this being a "game" tells us that these monsters will keep attacking PCs until PCs are dead or they are... that they will continue following us like Jason Vorhees until we or they are dead, and that they will remain here in this spot even after the PCs have retreated in order to be "cleaned up" after the party rests and returns. The monsters aren't real... they are just gaming roadblocks the party has to get past.

If a DM wishes to run their game that way... that's cool, more power to them... but that's not a written part of the rules. Monsters do not have to chase you. And more often than not, probably shouldn't.
Often, I see DM's claim that monsters should always target downed PC's because they know that they can easily be healed and brought back into the fight (despite the fact that, if you think about it, most NPC's don't have access to magical healing, mind). Now, extending this line of logic, allowing a weak or weakened group of foes to simply retreat means that you'll probably face them again, and they'll be stronger when you do. Better to deal with the threat sooner than later, right?

Remove ads