• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

OOC: Thanks, I got behind at the bar fight, and then never really got the chance to catch up until now. I'm getting ready to start a new job with great internet access, good hours and the best pay I've had in 25 years of being part of the workforce. Sounds like I'll be just in time for the mop up expedition though. /OOC

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Yes the current thread is coming to a close, but of course you may want to stick around and try to get uncursed...

Feel free to have Finn wake up and jump back into the action whenever you are ready.

Lou

Explorer
Scotley said:
"Permission granted Lady, please come aboard the Crestdancer." He turns to the cabin door and shouts an order, "Matie Hawser we have guests please fetch us some rum." An 'Aye Aye, Captain' comes from inside and soon another of the curious constructs arrives with a tray of glasses a large bottle and some sliced limes. This one is dressed as a seaman and seems to be made of ropes. A bench surrounds two-thirds of the upper deck and cusions are arrayed their. Seeing Gnurl's display of deck swabbing the Captain comments, "We only hire new crew on Tuesday and Thursday until noon. You can come then if you want a job, but I warn you I'm particular about the men I hire." Captain Swabby pulls a small table over and the Matie Hawser places the tray upon it and begins to pour rum over ice and add slice of lime. The Captain gestures for you to have a seat. "Now what can I do for you noble Lady and Gentlemen?"

Mingo responds, "Captain Swabby, you are too gracious. There has been some mischief at the port today, and we are securing the area. Have you had any other visitors recently? And if I may ask, who owns this fine vessel and is the owner on-board?"

Scotley

Hero
"I have had no visitors. Unfortnately, Magus Bonnar, the owner of this boat, my creator seems to have fallen prey to the scruvy dogs here. He was lured here under false pretences by a foul sorcerer. I felt his death two days ago. I fear my crew and I are at loose ends." He waggles a mop head hand and smiles at his own wit.

J. Alexander

First Post
Resolution

"Yes i am afraid many have perished" Geoffrey says.."Could you please tell us if your ship is secure and may we have permission to inspect if briefly in order to assess if any taint has attached itself to your vessel"

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

"Also, Captain Swabby, have you seen any of these 'foul sorcerers' around here lately? You can smell their foul magic, can't you?"

Scotley

Hero
The little mop Captain sniffs in derision. "You lot are the only taint on my ship and it is quite secure. Feel free to have a look around if you wish. Seaman Ballast show this insolent lubber about before I decide to cut him up for chum." With a great clanking the third and final crewman appears. This on seems to be make of lead ballast weights and gaff hooks. He looks considerably bigger and more formidable than the other two.

[sblock=Geoffrey if he follows the seaman]The clanking construct thuds along the deck and around the upper works. In addition to the quarterdeck, which is clearly better equipped for afternoon tea than war, there is narrow walkway around both sides of the enclosed main deck that leads to the small foredeck. There you find a small, almost toy catapult with a collection of wicked looking missles including lead balls and incendiaries. There is a ballista at the very front of the ship as well. The single mast rises from the upper cabin and the seaman leads you to a small hatch that drops into the cabin. The bulky construct moves with surprising ease and comments, "mind your head," as you enter the cabin. It is a well appointed room as is revealed as the indirect magical light source brightens upon your entry. There are thick glass windows covered by heavy canvas curtains on the inside and stout shutters on the outside all around this room, which seem to take up most of this deck. The room his lined with comfortable looking built in couches. The cushions are leather and expensive looking cloth. Cunningly made folding tables slip into slots behind the couches and can be pulled out to convert this room for meals. A good collection of charts in neat scroll like rolls is arrayed in one corner. A track in the ceiling allows for them to hung up and moved about the room. The lime-washed woodwork in the room is tastefully carved in nautical themes. In the corner opposite the maps is a small well stocked bar. A variety of glassware hangs from a leather upholstered rack in the ceiling. A nearby cabinet contains fine china and silver in flat drawers just thick enough for one plate in the velvet lined interior of each of 10 drawers other part of the place settings are in other drawers. A small highly ornamented cast-iron and brass stove is here and there is a small sliding door near the bar that proves to be a dumbwaiter. The seaman opens a small door into a tiny privy that must be simply a chute out to the sea below. It does have an overhead water tank that supplies a small sink, again with a drain that must lead outside. From the cabin there is hatch up and aft to the quarterdeck, a pair of doors leading aft and a stair leading down and forward. The seaman motions you forward to the doors each leads to a small Cabin with a comfortable looking bed, rugs on the floor, a sea chest, a small built in desk a desk chair, a more comfortable chair with a side table and a wardrobe. In one of the two there are a man's clothes, a glass fronted barristers' bookcase and personal items while the other has a few women's clothes in the wardrobe, but it doesn't look lived in the way the other does. The hulking seaman leads you back through the main cabin to the stairs. Below the foredeck is another pair of cabins. These are a little smaller than the ones aft, but still well appointed yet quite empty. A few more steps down takes one to narrow hall running the length of the ship. First stop is a tiny galley. A hatch in the floor leads to a small pantry. It seems likely that one of the smaller constructs staffs this galley as a normal sized human would find it rather cramped though just usable. The kitchen and pantry are well stocked with expensive foods--cheeses, hams, salt beef, dried fish, jars of preserved food, and baskets of onions, parsnips, potatoes, canisters of flour, sugar, yeast, coffee, decanters of tea and racks of spices. Next a supply room, which is very neat and likely again the domain of the little constructs. Here there are tools, rope, sailcloth, parts for repairs, tar, wooden planking and assorted hardware. The next room must be the hold, and it requires a few steps down and must be almost on the keel. There is a strange pump here with what look like large wooden clogs on top side by side. The space includes narrow areas that extend below the other rooms on this deck. There are water barrels here, a couple of chests, some more stored items, a pair of crossbows and a pair of rifles, some spears and boarding axes, they look brand new and likely have never been out of their wall mounts. A brick lined coal bin is full, presumably for the stoves. There is a little more food stored here and a locked wine cabinet with several bottles of fine vintage and a case of liquor for restocking the bar. More than half the available space here is unused. The next room seems to be a sort of mage's workshop. There is a small bookcase--locked, and a table with various magical and alchemical supplies in cabinets above it. It seems likely that the constructs were created and maintained here. Next is a small bath chamber with a chamber pot in a commode cabinet and a built in copper tub. An overhead water tank feeds into a series of coils that over another cast-iron and brass stove. The room is stocked with towels, robes and assorted soaps oils and toiletry supplies. The Seaman Ballast asks, "would you care for a bath?" He moves on where the hall turns and crosses the ship. Along this hall are four more cabins somewhat smaller cabins, again well appointed, but uninhabited. There is a ladder at the end of the hall leading back up to the quarterdeck where you started and the others are still talking with Captain Swabby. The construct motions you up, but does not follow. The Captain was true to his word there is no taint of evil, the ship is clean, scrupulously maintained and free of vermin. The tour only took a few minutes. [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Leif said:
"Also, Captain Swabby, have you seen any of these 'foul sorcerers' around here lately? You can smell their foul magic, can't you?"

After Geoffrey goes to inspect the ship the Captian addresses the Gnome's question. "Well, perhaps not smell them, but I saw the blackguard when he took my master away, and I can tell you I didn't like his look." He describes the fellow and it was almost certainly Sea Sorcerer--before his transformation.

J. Alexander

First Post
Resolution

Having completed the brief tour....Geoffrey returns to the mop captain "My sincerst thanks Captain, your ship is beautiful and you are lucky to Captain her...perhaps we can have lunch or dinner sometime and discuss it's construction...and I would love to have your opinion on "The Radiant Sun" I think you would find her very simliar in design and constrcuiton to yours though on a larger scale.

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Scotley said:
After Geoffrey goes to inspect the ship the Captian addresses the Gnome's question. "Well, perhaps not smell them, but I saw the blackguard when he took my master away, and I can tell you I didn't like his look." He describes the fellow and it was almost certainly Sea Sorcerer--before his transformation.
"Kindly tell me again, Cap'n, what is your master's name? And when was the last time that you saw him?" OOC: The master of this ship may still be around, somewhere, or, if not, his heirs may have a claim to her.... unless we can do something about that. I may have a plan....

Remove ads