It's official...

Ryujin

Legend
If the Courts of the Fey don't come off as a cross between Fëanor and Nyarlthotep covered in glitter, it's possible you're doing it wrong.

To that add in a little Dionysis, for the 'all night' parties they would invite (read as 'charm') mortals into attending, which actually lasted a lifetime. They might flay you alive or send you on your way with a pocket-full of gold, but the flaying was far more likely.

-Avalon-

First Post
To that add in a little Dionysis, for the 'all night' parties they would invite (read as 'charm') mortals into attending, which actually lasted a lifetime. They might flay you alive or send you on your way with a pocket-full of gold, but the flaying was far more likely.

And that was the Seelie Court... not even thinking of the Unseelies... Course I also remember something of Shadow Elves... or were they basically transformed into the Shadar Kai? No idea... But Fey != Happy/fun/Sing Alongs....

Ryujin

Legend
And that was the Seelie Court... not even thinking of the Unseelies... Course I also remember something of Shadow Elves... or were they basically transformed into the Shadar Kai? No idea... But Fey != Happy/fun/Sing Alongs....

Yup, there's a reason why the term "chaotic" was originally used in the alignment of old AD&D books, though where the "good" part crept in is beyond me; as changeable as the weather and as much fun as a flash flood at harvest time. The Seelie Court is D&D Drow, on "E" at a rave.

Estlor

Explorer
How come the rogue and ranger get to improve their extra damage dice and the 'lock doesn't?

Vicious Rod, anyone? And gee, I don't have to spend a feat I can use on getting a second pact (or Sacrifice to Caiphon) to do it, either.

Granted, if I was playing a Cha-lock I'd go Dark pact and second into fey to pick up Eyebite at paragon tier, not the other way around. Darkspiral Aura when coupled with Reaper's Touch and Shadow Walk is just too wicked. I move 3 squares into melee and whack you with eldritch blast. Next round I provoke the attack of opportunity (which since I have concealment and spent feats on Hide armor and Light Shield proficiency, will have a hard time hitting me), and when you miss, you eat my entire darkspiral aura. And, hey, if you're marked by my fighter friend, he'll whack you for attacking me.

Estlor

Explorer
Ah, you're right. I got confused between the "free action" and the "immediate interrupt" part.

Still, I'd rather have that big incentive not to hit me than a teleport.

LittleFuzzy

First Post
As for why the feylock sucks even worse than the other 'locks:
first level enounters: all do multiple dice of damage and have rider effects except for the feylock one which does one die of damage. The "bonus" you get for being fey pact is that the range is 10...but all the other powers have a range 10 for free.

Granted on this one

[
Level one dailies: the powers that use Cha are weaker then the ones that use con.

I actually think Decree of Khirad is the best power for the level. A close blast 3 hitting enemies only, allowing you to slide everyone you hit into position to make basic attacks against their allies. Fortune's Reversal is weak though.

daily 9: terrible damage for the fey powers with useless riders (ooh, i can end the damage and slide the target? really??)

Restrain in mid-air isn't a useless rider against quite a few mobs and you're neglecting that the mob will take falling damage after it makes its save. If the Feylock's been bumping Int, they should be able to make the target take 3d10 points of falling damage. That's not terrible damage.

daily 15: huh, there isn't even a new power here for the feylock. too bad

Uh, Plague of Frogs? Area burst 2, 2d8+Cha damage, movable zone of difficult terrain that continues to do 2d8+Cha damage to anyone entering or starting inside. More damage than you'll get out any of the other dailies of that level.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
My first 4ed character was a warlock. I loved his concept, but the mechanics felt extremely underpowered compared to other characters such as the rogue or mage. Both seemed to outdamage me handily, and the rogue's effects were better to boot.
Candfan said:
Our feylock plays by cursing people and running into melee reach, casting eyebite while flanking and provoking opportunity attacks from enemies who have been marked by our fighter.
This intrigues me. You are saying that your warlock intentionally takes damage from an OA, in order to give the fighter an extra attack. The Eyebite effect (presuming it hits) would protect you from your foe's regular turn attacks, but not the OA itself so I imagine you'd be taking a fair bit of damage...

On a related issue, one of my biggest disappointments with the class was that while the overview in the PH suggests "you can shift easily from ranged attacks to melee attacks" practically all of a warlock's powers provoke in melee range. :confused:

Ryujin

Legend
My first 4ed character was a warlock. I loved his concept, but the mechanics felt extremely underpowered compared to other characters such as the rogue or mage. Both seemed to outdamage me handily, and the rogue's effects were better to boot.This intrigues me. You are saying that your warlock intentionally takes damage from an OA, in order to give the fighter an extra attack. The Eyebite effect (presuming it hits) would protect you from your foe's regular turn attacks, but not the OA itself so I imagine you'd be taking a fair bit of damage...

You can generate a pretty good effective AC with a Warlock. When you move 3 or more squares, you're considered concealed. Use Ethereal Stride and you gain an effective 4 points of AC (power bonus to all defences of +2 from the power and a move of 3 squares, which gives you concealment). At level 9 I'm in the high 20s, when I really need to be.

On a related issue, one of my biggest disappointments with the class was that while the overview in the PH suggests "you can shift easily from ranged attacks to melee attacks" practically all of a warlock's powers provoke in melee range. :confused:

Well you can, but it takes some work. Take one of the melee basic attack stat swap feats (probably Melee Training - CHA) and make sure that you curse your enemy before hitting him. Suddenly your dagger is doing d4+d6+CHA Bonus. An Elardin Warlock could be swinging a longsword rather than a dagger, for the same hit bonuses.

Cadfan

First Post
This intrigues me. You are saying that your warlock intentionally takes damage from an OA, in order to give the fighter an extra attack. The Eyebite effect (presuming it hits) would protect you from your foe's regular turn attacks, but not the OA itself so I imagine you'd be taking a fair bit of damage...
That's the idea.

The damage isn't as high as you'd think. He's using combat mobility coupled with shadow walk, which means that his base armor class of 14 is functionally a base armor class of 18. And then he's provoking the enemy who has been marked by the fighter, which applies an additional -2 to that enemy's attack rolls.

Its a lot like having an AC of 20, and of course it also gives him +3 to attack (+1 prime shot, +2 flank).

Plus, its best if some of the damage the group takes is a bit spread out. In a way, if your character have your initial 7 healing surges while your allies are demanding a stop to the action because they're flat out, then you haven't done your part.

Meanwhile there's a power that's come out for warlocks that lets them replace eldritch blast with eldritch strike, a melee attack. I suspect he might take advantage of that one for stylistic reasons, even though it isn't strictly better. After all, he's got Eyebite, Eldritch Blast seems a little redundant.

Remove ads