DDAL Jasper DMs Icewind Dale and Season 10

jasper

Rotten DM
Fredrick of Hollywood Will
I divide my ownership into 100 shares of stock.
50 Shares to my son Rodeo of Hollywood.
40 Shares to the miners. Who are not the union leader.
4 shares to the widow of Bob who was eaten by the Grell.
4 Shares to the Speaker of the town.
2 shares to the union leader.
Done on this first day of Alturiak, 1489. Counter sign by Priest of Waukeen, Hugo Black.
Countersigned by Oarus Masthew.

Note the names are not given. Speaker and Union leader shares to the position.

jasper

Rotten DM
Mine Cost For Alturiak
Item Quality Cost Each Total
Mine Rations 210 5 sp 105
Cold Weather Gear 30 10 300
Miner Pick 20 2 40
Snow Shoes 21 2 42
Crampons 21 2 42
Sleeping Bags extreme 30 4 120
Sluice Rocker 1 120 120
Franklin Stove 1 300 300
Spice box 1 10 10
Mess Kit 20 2 SP 4
Chain 10 foot Section 14 5 70
Fine Clothes Sahnar 1 15 15
Oil for stove per day 30 1 30
Piton 100 5 CP 5
Healer’s Kit 3 5 15
Shovel 5 2 10
Signal whistle 2 5 CP Free
Perfume Sahnar 1 5 5
Door 3 10 30
Salary 10 6 60
Total 1,318
Taxes 0 Mine equipment not taxed.
Total Due 1,318

Gems brought in
500 10gp 500
7 1 gp 7
2 10 gp 20
1 100 gp 100
627gp
M8 is tapped out.
Lost 691 GP
Kobolds Dig a 5 by 5 by 5 per hour but only 5 are consider digging. . Half the staff is clearing, dumping, sorting,

Shoring 2 Gp per 5 cubic feet

jasper

Rotten DM
Icewind Dale Chapter 1 & 2 Session 8

Frozen Blacken ID

Days 64-78

Ches 7, 1489 7 A.M. To Ches 18, 7 A.M.

Day 798+ with no sun.

PC Killed 2 Monsters Killed 83 Villains Captured 23 Villains Escaped 4

Time Started 5:40 End Time 8:20 (Includes snack break and free time because you went to quickly.)

Remember people this was two sessions in one.

If this was your first, third, or fifth quest in Icewind Dale take a level. 10 downtime days. 40 GP.

We have entered Chapter 2. The quest will determine if you level. But I will stick with one, three, five level up. Chapter 2 are limited to leveling up to fifth level. The group has decided to repeat the fun from Chapter 1 and do all the missions. I will allow you to bring in additional first level characters to grow your season 10 bank of pcs. But beware, these quests can be deadly.

I had an average group Tuk’n Rol Wild magic Sorcerer 4. Astyral Bard 3 warlock 1 (Tasha’s rebuild). Smokey Cleric 4. Jill Ranger 1 Monk 1. Gold Fine Artificer 1. During the break. Sandoval Gloomstalker 5replaced Astryal.

The blizzard of 1489 will long be remembered by this group. No knucklehead trout for ten days. Stew for breakfast. Stew for lunch. Stew for dinner. No customers either as the Northern Light Inn and all of Icewind Dale had been frozen. Um more frozen in. The blizzard lasted ten days. Some changes had taken place. Astyral had acquired new abilities. The inn was missing ten chairs which had broken over Astyral’s head as his on again and off again relationship with Allie Shorard co-owner of the inn blew hot or cold. The weather breaks.

In walked a golden dragonborn being led by the silver dragonborn Trovus.

Trovus, “I take my regular. Hot chocolate. Two drops of whip cream. One shave of cinnamon bark. Sweety.”

Allie, “DON’T CALL ME SWEETY.” She glares at Astryal. “And if you want to get any closer. I want a ring. You made lots of promises the last ten days. When should we announce the wedding?”

Astryal thinking fast, “People remember the rumor of Caer-Dineval. The gawds have told me, should check this out. Foul deeds are a foot. We discuss wedding plans when I get back. Sweety.”

Gold Fine, “Sweety. I will take some stew…” Another chair is reduced to firewood, as the owner breaks it over the new person’s head.

Astryal, “Bring him. He will be useful.”

Gold Fine, “Ouch. But I just called her Sweety.”

Astryal, “That is my nickname for her. She loves it till she hates it. Get on the polar bear sled before she finds another chair.”

The trip to the keep at Caer-Dineval is quick but silent. The keep was the first real structure build four hundred years ago. Four towers. One moat gate which is no longer needed because the moat is frozen over. And about twenty rooms. The guards on the towers give them the eye but ignore them. The group talks about how to enter the keep, over the wall. Shatter the drawbridge. At night.

Gold Fine, “How about just knock.”

Astryal, “That never works.’

Gold Fine, “it will be fine.”

Astryal, “If it doesn’t work. I shooting you in the face with a hand crossbow bolt.” He knocks.

Karl, “Who is it.”

Astryal, “Astryal.”

Karl, “Astryal who.”

Astryal, “Astryal speaker of Termalaine. With Smokey union official. And…”

Karl, “Oh good. You coming has been foretold by the soothsayer. Auntie is this way.” Karl opens the small door and invites the company in. Everyone is not sure on what is up. Tuk’n Rol reads Karl’s mind. Karl is happy more allies of Levistus Archdevil of the sixth level of hell. Strangely when Tuk’n tries to mentally speak with Gold Fine he gets static which dampens the distress call in his head. They arrive at the soothsayer room. Smokey is uncomfortable.

Smokey, “Auntie Hethyl? I have not seen you in decades.”

Auntie Hethyl, “I have seen you either.” She turns her milk white eyes to her grand cousin once removed. “Sit. Sit. Someone stirs up the fire. But will both of you Gold Fine and Tuk’n please start the fire. I don’t want to hear both of you gripe of who does first. Gold Fine. Cut that mattress, now that all of you are here, I will no longer need it. Oh yes questions.”

Astryal, “We need to know.”

Auntie Hethyl, “You need to shut up and listen to your elders. Please hello Soothsayer. I have fore seen. I will fore told. I will put my cane upside your pretty face, if you don’t shut up. I swear now days I get no respect. Question. Yes, Levistus told me you were coming. And not even breathing hard. Yes. You will ally with the cult here in the keep. Yes, they are mostly human. Short lived buggers but useful. Yes, the speaker of the town is still alive. Yes, you do have enemies are you surprised. Harrumph. One of your group who is not here, is being hunted by bald head woman. One of you who is not here will be hit in the face with a hand crossbow. One of you will die. No any telling. Because I hate young people. You let one of your enemies escaped Durth Sunblight a duergar. Duergar can go invisible you fools. “

Auntie continues, “His brother Nildar and his father Xardorok have delicious evil plans. Xardorok will conquer Icewind Dale unless you stop him. He has a fortress in the Spine of the World.” The image appears in all their heads. (Yes, the DM will put on the map.)

Auntie Hethyl, “Xardorok has a forge driven by a red dragon’s heart. Xardorok has plans in his keep. See the vision in your heads. The plans are well hidden. Now don’t be stupid and rush out to the fortress today. Level up for a while. I will not finish my tea. But will get a kiss today.”

Auntie stares at Smokey, “Come give your auntie a big kiss on the lips for old timer stakes.”

Smokey approaches as he leads in to kiss her, she grabs his face. He quickly turns so she can only reach his cheek. “You are still a lousy kisser. I am done. I…” Auntie slumps in her chair dead.

Mere a servant arrives with tea. “Rats now I get to dry the tea. Should we burn her or…”

Smokey, “Nope. Just wrap her up in her cloths. Find some rocks and tie them to her feet. We will break open the ice and dump her in a lake. The knucklehead trout got to feed on something.”

Mere, “Speaker. The false speaker will like to speak with you alone.”

Astryal and the tiefling Kadroth discuss evil plans. The cult has taken over Caer-Dineval. The Zhent have an alliance. The cult will take over the various religious houses, while the Zhent take over the cities. Don’t discuss plans with Avarice due to her connections to the Arcana Brotherhood. The brotherhood has plans for Icewind Dale.

The group stays the night. Smokey is able to con two members of cult to get rid of Auntie’s body for him. This is after he loot her. The group heads out to the Spine of the World. To see about the distress call.

It takes about a day and half to get nearer where the airship landed. To strange tentacle creatures try to eat or drag the party toward the airship. But Sandoval kills one in the first round. (WOW. Gloomstalker at fifth level doing 68 points.) It is strange airship. No rigging. No sails. Purple. They enter the cargo hold. Dim lights flicker on. Lighting a frozen solid door and ballista. Between create bonfire, and fire bolt the ice on the door melts. Gold Fine opens the door. Three gnome with purple faces and tentacles scream in a foreign language. A tin man rushes to the door. The group fires on the tin man. The tin man crushes Gold Fine skull. (Nat 20.) The gnomes shoot laser beams at the party. (Yes, I said laser beams.) The rest of the party returns fire. A gnome mind layer comes down with a beeping box.

Dredavex, “Which ones of you have brought us a mind crystal. We must have it.”

Tuk’n Rol, “I like the bump it gives me to my abilities. You can’t have it. “

Dredavex mind blasts Jill dropping her. “Pretty please. I won’t even eat you companions brains. Even the escapee on. Gold Dust I think it name is.”

Tuk’n Rol, “No even by the hair of your chinny chin chin.”

Dredavex, “Now that is just rude.” He blasts Tuk’n stunning him. “This will be a brief pain.” Sandoval shoots him in the face with a hand crossbow bolt. Killing Dredavex.

After a brief short rest, Jill and Tuk’n figure out the lase rifles. Sandoval is not happy when he presses the wrong button and the rifle blows up in his face. After yelling some insults to Captain Vorryn they leave. A day away from the alien airship it blows up.

Psi Crystal is no longer a story item. Laser Rifle is a story item. 30 charges. Two handed. 7 lbs. Range 100/300. Can not and will not be recharge. Use your dex bonus to hit.

Rest in Peace Auntie Hethyl Arkorran, Dredavex Brain Gnome. Rin, Rix, and Zglarrd Gnome squidlings.

Bryn Shander 1187. Bremen 132. Caer-Dineval 89. Caer-Konig 140. Dougan’s Hole 40. Easthaven 705. Good Mead 76. Lonely Wood 90. Targos 975. Termalaine 607.

Psi Crystal is no longer a story item. Laser Rifle is a story item. 30 charges. Two handed. 7 lbs. Range 100/300. Can not and will not be recharge. Use your dex bonus to hit.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
DDAL10-01 Session

The Frozen North

Day 1 -2

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 25 Villains Captured 0 Villains Escaped 1

Gain a level. 10 Downtime Days. 80 GP.

Magic Items Potion of Growth. Potion of Healing. Potion of Comprehension. Illuminator’s tattoo. Googles of Night. Auntie Moses cookies. Pink Knitted cap.

I allowed some high Tier 1 pcs in the module which is set for level 1 or 2. This threw off the combat and suspense. I also had a strong group of six. Ettelig Abpa Warlock 1. Gold Fine Artificer 3. Gox Bard 2. Breena Falker Monk 1. Varock Wizard 1. Jill Rogue 2 Bard 1.

Some of the group are heading to Ice Wind Dale to go home. Others are fleeing from lovers who have hand crossbows. Others are just hired hands. They are entering valley when Adam Horse the caravan guard leader wakes up from his drunken stupor.

Adam, “Eleven O’clock and it all well. You people know who to prevent avalanches. You sing. To show the snow gawds you not afraid of them. YOU CAN’T TAKE THE SKY FROM ME. AURIL IS A WHIMPY GAWD. YOU CAN’T TAKE THE SKY FROM ME. Does someone hear an ominous rumble?”

Three fourths of the valley snow wall fall on the caravan taking them down into the valley. Jill tries swimming through the avalanche. Gold Fine grabs his steel defender which drags him deep into the waterfall of snow. Adam is surprise when his wagon flips. Crushing and tearing off his legs. He tries scream but is silenced when a fork in a tree rips his head off. The snow dust settles. (And the dm makes adjustments since there are no new people playing.)

Jill and Gold Fine are buried deep in the snow. Sidekick Spellcaster is pinned under the only mostly intact wagon. It will take them six rounds before they start to suffocate. Sidekick Expert, Ettelig, and Breena are buried up to their waist. The expert is whining about her daddy’s silver flask. It will take three rounds to free themselves. Sidekick Warrior has strapped his shield on and trying to don the rest of his armour while keeping an eye on the three wolves who appear wanting to dine on frozen heroes. Gox and Varock are free.

The heroes did out themselves out, taking pop shots at the wolves. Sidekick Warrior looks silly trying to don his chain shirt over his shield arm and swinging at the wolves. Breena lies to Sidekick expert about her daddy’s flask and gets the expert to concentrate on digging herself out. After the fight is over and everyone is checked for damage the looting begins. The loot is the payroll. A potion. A special delivery package with letter. A GP Small tent. And just enough fire wood to last a long rest.

In the morning the resident of Ten Towns Gox is the only one with frostbite which gives him a level of exhaustion. They continue toward Icewind Dale. Jill is saying a blizzard is approaching. Gox has his nose in the air and saying he is from around these parts and knows no such thing is going to happen. So, keep walking you snow birds.

Gold Fine, “Is Snow Birds an insult or those three huge snow owls diving out the sky.”

Gox, “Both. And those are elemental birds of Auril. But are really not elementals but….”

Ettelig, “Enough with the monster description. Initiative.”

After a brief combat, they survive. During the fight, the snow birds did uncover an entrance to a cave. Gox proving once again being wrong, is the first to dash into the cave when the blizzard hits. They set up watches. Sidekick Warrior takes the first watch.

The first watch ends with the scream of Sidekick Warrior. Only his one red shoe is left behind. They follow the blood trail into the blizzard. Finding only his arms and legs placed like a bloody “X” on the ground. As they enter the cave again, they find a huge owl-like footprint. Strangely it is not being blown away during the blizzard.

Varock and Sidekick Expert start a fire. Which illuminates a huge ancient door, and the remains of former adventurer. The door is covered with drawing from ancient Netheril. No one can translate it until Sidekick Expert remembers she has a potion of comprehension which she gives to Varock. The former adventure loot contains a needle, a journal, and a potion. The door is locked but has a riddle about four stones.

Varock, “I only have no stones. The riddle says I need six stones. Poke around for the stones.” Poking around the cave reveals some hard packed snow was hiding two side tunnels. The group explores the side caves. They fight some gazers and piercers and recover the stones. Varock drops the stones in order down a slot. The door grinds open. A message appears in the air above the door.

DEATH TO SIDEKICK EXPERT WHICH THE DM HAS NOT NAME!

Sidekick Expert runs backwards out in to the blizzard being followed by half the group. They hear scream as a huge owlbear tucks her under its arm and flees. The monk and wizard follow occasionally losing sight of the owlbear due to the thirty-foot restriction. Seconds later they hear bone snapping crunches. And find Sidekick Expert twisted into a bloody circle. They return to the cave.

Their dim and bright light illuminates a stone bridge with the hint of a door just outside the limit of their light. The bridge is well worn and has no railings. Before the bridge are various dungeon dressing depicting necromancers missing their right hands. The wizard announces they gave up their right hands for death magic. They cross the bridge.

Gox, “What is that scratching sound. It sounds like”

Varock, “Like the crawling hands of 9000 necromancers.”

Players, “We ain’t fighting that many!”

DM, “Ok. Let me read the module. Rats they didn’t include a number or a stat block. Let me get the monster manual. Ok. Fourteen. Two each for the pcs and steel defender. They start thirty feet down and initiative.”

After a brief battle where Varock gets his nose picked and a wet Willie from the crawling claws, the group makes across the bridge. The hallway is short about thirty foot high. As they are pushing on the door to open it, a huge icicle falls from the ceiling killing Sidekick Spellcaster.

Ettelig pushing the door open, “Well. That’s all for the hired help. I going to read the letter. Hmm. Hey cookies are in the lock box. I going to eat them.”

A huge crash is heard from the roof of the chamber, a huge owlbears drops in.

Frostclaw, “Frostclaw is the name. Eating is my game. Those are my cookies now second breakfast. And you will be dinner snack!” He points a claw to Breena and smacks her down to the floor leaving her in a pool of her own blood. He then names the adventurers after meals.

They fight. Even with their legendary lair reactions the fight is soon over.

Frostclaw, “TIME OUT. TIME OUT. I just remember I left some elves in the oven. I will continue this next module. Bye now.”

Players, “That a dirty move.”

“Yes. Yes, it is.” Says Suuk One-Feather Thuunlakalaga, “I am Suuk, I will be your contact for the next module. See me next adventure.”

DM Notes. This is great module for new dms and new players. The module explains a lot about various ability checks. It also has some great suggestions. But it only for level 1 and 2 PCs. The players thought the railroad of losing the Sidekicks was stupid. But did find the Sidekicks interesting.

jasper

Rotten DM
Icewind Dale Chapter 2 Session 9

Whale of a Haul or

Bell Weather Friends

Days 79-84

Ches 18, 1489 7 A.M. To Ches 22, 7 A.M.

Day 809+ with no sun.

PC Killed 2 Monsters Killed 93 Villains Captured 23 Villains Escaped 11

Time Started 5:55 End Time 8:13

Magic Items. Gray Bag of Tricks, Figurine of Remove Curse, Driftglobe, Quiver of Ehlonna, Mithral Chain Armour, Wand of Orcus fake but has continual Light on it.

Mundane loot. 3 antitoxin, healer’s kit, vial of holy water, Captain Rudolph (with nose so blue) Bluemoon Journal, 7 empty bottles of Sweetberry Wine.

Story Award Ally of Angajuk. Angajuk will help you fight Auril. And is looking for Auril’s headquarters.

If this was your first, third, or fifth quest in Icewind Dale take a level. IF Tier 1 take 10 downtime days and 80 GP. If Tier 2 take 20 downtime days and 240 GP.

Christmas Dice love the PCs.

I had a weak group of three but made not changes to the encounters. I would have adjusted on the fly. Jill Rogue 3 Swashbuckler Monk 1. Smokey Cleric 4. Tuk’n Rol Artificer 4 Sorcerer 1.

Our group leaves Caer-Konig and takes two days to reach Angajuk’s Bell. We will not comment on Jill getting the group lost. Twice. (Note. Overland travel is 1 mile per hour with the sled bear. DC 15 survival or get lost for an hour. Plus, whatever evil the DM wants.) Angajuk is an awaken sperm whale. A druid Anga awaken Angajuk two hundred years ago. He has various encounters with Auril’s roc and the whale and roc dislike each other. To ensure safe transport and to partake in undersea research, Anga designed a boat and strapped it to Angajuk’s back. As the whale submerges, a bubble appears around the boat, enabling its passengers to breathe comfortably underwater. Creatures in the boat can exit the bubble whenever they want, but nothing can pass through the bubble from outside it. The bubble is magical but can’t be dispelled. Once the group arrives at the pier, they notice some one has tried to make the rowboat an ice runner. It mostly works. They pole the boat across the ice and ring the bell. And wait. And wait. And wait. Until Smokey rings the bell again. Which summons three super large vultures which try to eat the party. The party wins.

A half hour Angajuk breeches the water. He is interested in talking to the party for a fee. Fresh squid. Angajuk, “Ring the bell again when you have my snackage.” So, the party pulls out their fishing tackle. And fish for nothing. And fish for nothing and fish for.

Smokey, “Is that a bite?”

Jill, “Feels like. I wonder if we should land whatever it is or worry about the five guys with harpoons who are trying to sneak up on us?”

Jendren Uruth, “You can’t hunt whale with fishing rods. You need live bait like that polar bear pulling that sled. Help us hunt the whale for ambergris and we cut you into the share.” Allies of Angajuk and whale hunters have fought over this for decades. And some times it turns deadly. Like this time. Five rounds later. The group tosses the bodies into the breech and let them sink.

Angajuk returns for his snackage. Jill and Smokey really impress him. He is not impressed by Tuk’n Rol Jedi mind. (ALERT ALERT EVIL MOUSE SAYS NO.) Angajuk is slightly impresses by Tuk’n Rol Termalaine Telepathy mind tricks. He will look for Auril’s island and would mine having people ride his ship again.

Smokey, “You have a ship on you back. A ship in an air bubble. Have you heard of the Dark Duchess? It should be only four hours by sea. It will save us overland travel and getting lost.”

DM, “Tuk’n Rol take the wandering monster encounter slip and put it back into the draw box. You have avoided that encounter. You are the one who rolled it.”

Four hours later, it is dark. Angajuk is still going on how he first met Anga which you need know before he gets to story about the ship. Angajuk drops the group off on the ice flow which has incased the Dark Duchess. A three masted schooner. A small frost rimed ladder leads from the ship to ice flow. With the moving ice, the ship has about three months before the ice crushes it.

The ship decks from the main deck, through the cabin deck down to the hold have been destroyed. The holes are roughly eighteen by twenty-eight feet wide. The howl of an ice troll can be heard from the hold deck.

Tuk’n Rol, “Hey guys do stealth. I think there is an ice troll down at the bottom. Because the DM said so!’ (DM pounds head on table.)

The group does not successfully sneak down to hold. (Yeah Ice Troll passive is higher than the pcs sneak rolls.) Smokey stays on the cabin deck while Tuk’n and Jill try to murder the poor troll. Jill nearly dies but between acid damage and fire damage the troll is taken care of. (Note reduced the hit points and dropped one of the multiattack due to weak group.) The group finds the hold has four or more layers of ice hiding loot. As they clear the first layer, three Icewind Kobolds try to stop the group from looting their god’s lair. The great gawd Arveiaturace will be displeased. Especially after they killed Fred the leader of the kobolds. We going to run away now and tell on you.

The locals of the group know that Arveiaturace is the local red no white adult plus dragon. But this is the first time they have heard of kobolds worshipping him. Arveiaturace is allied with a Red Wizard of Thay who rides Arveiaturace into battle. Smokey chases the kobolds away, and starts looting the cabin and main deck rooms while the DM is cussing his new dice as they are rolling higher and higher as each hour passes.

Three hours later for a total of four hours where the DM rolled not less than four times and roll above 80 each time, the group clears the treasure out the Dark Duchess and heads back to Bremen. While reloading the sled for a better balance, Tuk’n Rol turns into Fredrick of Hollywood and lurks in some alleyways. They make it back to Caer-Konig with no problem.

The news the next morning is.

Extra. Five fishers go missing from Bremen.

Extra. The Ghost of Fredrick of Hollywood seen haunting Bremen, Caer-Konig, and Termalaine.

Extra. Seven new kobolds hired on at the mine in Termalaine.

Extra. The White Lady of Lac Dinneshere seen walking the streets of Easthaven. Five more people have gone missing having walked out their houses at night.

Extra snow demon erupts of the ground in Dougan’s Hole a family of five is missing.

RIP Jendren Uruth.

Bryn Shander 1187. Bremen 128. Caer-Dineval 89. Caer-Konig 140. Dougan’s Hole 35. Easthaven 700. Good Mead 76. Lonely Wood 90. Targos 975. Termalaine 614.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Icewind Dale Session 10

Chapter 2

Cabin Fever

Days 84-89

Ches 23, 1489 7 A.M. To Ches 29, 7 A.M.

Day 813+ with no sun.

Time Started 5:32 End Time 8:57

PC Killed 4 Monsters Killed 96 Villains Captured 23 Villains Escaped 11

Story Award Big Peace Makers. All Goliaths treat you as friendly.

Blessing of Morninglord 10 Temporary hit points at dawn for Tuk’n Rol, Astyral, Jill.

Story Award Warden Friends. Jill, Sandavol, and Smokey.

Magic Items Amulet of Health, Cloak of Protection, Yellow Diamond Elemental Gem, Potion of Gaseous Form, Summer Star,

Andy take a level, 80 gp, and 10 downtime days. Everyone else take 100 GP. No advancement until end of Chapter 3.

I had an average group of four with people swapping out pcs between missions. Tuk’n Rol Sorcerer 1 Artificer 4. Astryal Druid 5. Jill Scout 4 Monk 1. For Black Cabin. Tuk’n Rol, Jill, Sandavol Ranger 5, Smokey Cleric 5 for Revel’s End. Skytower Shelter and Wyrmdoom Tuk’n Rol, Jill, Sandavol, Andy Fighter 4.

Copper asked the party to deliver supplies to his friend Macreadus. Macreadus has some crazy plan of using an artificer device to bring back the sun. Copper thinks Macreadus is crazy. The group heads out to the black cabin going pass Kelvin’s Cairn. About three quarters of the way, three crag cats jump the party. The group come away with three skins. Arriving at cabin, it is quiet. The cabin is up on stills about twenty feet in the air. Part of the cabin overhangs a chasm. No smoke is seen from both chimneys.

The group slowing and carefully takes the rotten steps up to cabin. The walkway is missing planks. Looking in the main window, they see part of burnt body and it looks like a fireball has went off in the cabin. Jill advances to the front door, only to put her foot through two rotten planks. The rest hold up while Jill opens the door. Skipping the dead body, she goes to pick up a strange gyroscope off the floor. Only her quick reflexes prevent her from falling through the floor as about twenty feet of flooring disappears from the cabin. The flooring drops to the ground below and slowly slides off the cliff.

Jill, “Watch the second and third steps too.” Astryal and Tuk’n Rol break a window to get access. The explore the cabin. Macreadus is dead. Tuk’n Rol starts a bonfire in the main room. And explores the main bedroom. Some notes but they down make sense. He tosses the bed linen on to fire so he does not have maintain the spell. Astryal tosses some lab tables in the second fireplace and sets them on fire. The group finds some more notes. Tuk’n Rol goes down and moves the sled underneath the hole in floor. Jill and Astryal will loot. Um Clean up and take the research notes and items back to Ten-Towns.

Jill, “Four Kegs of wine for research. I wonder what that was use for. “

Astryal, “I only count three wines. Tuk’n check out that other room. We got this.” Tuk’n is not happy. The other is just another workshop and the winter squirrels have gotten into the books. Suddenly the cabin shakes and groans.

“CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW.” Yells Macreadus, “Finally. I have some one to talk to. What in the nine hells are you doing in my cabin.

Astryal, “What. Why is my body up there? Why are my ears ringing?”

Jill, “Why is my body laying over the four kegs of wine.”

Macreadus, “WHY. Because you fumbled fingers the Sunshine Star. It looks like it is still unstable. Did you bring anybody with you? Because you are both dead.”

Tuk’n Rol has dashed from the extra work room and did a Kirk shoulder roll through the broken window. He has a buzzing in his ears.

After a few minutes of cussing, trying to kill Macreadus, threating death on Copper, and staring daggers at the dm, Astryal calms down. Once he calms down, the dead members of the group discover they can communicate with Tuk’n Rol by telepathy. Why it works. Only the gawds know. Tuk’n Rol agrees to fix the Summer Star. He gets ticked with Macreadus mumbling do step 3 before step 2. After step 2 go on to step 4. He fixes the Star. And Macreadus starts to disappear. But he asks Lathander to raise the dead and bless the group as long as they don’t kill Copper. The gawd does so. Macreadus whispers into Tuk’n Rol ear, “GOOBER, you got it out of alignment. Now you only have one Control Weather spell. Use it well.” As they leave the cabin, they are met by the arrogant goliath werebear Oyaminartok. She mentions she was friends with Macreadus. And is amused the group is burning down the cabin, and pushing it off into the chasm. She does mention any members of Skytower or Wyrmdoom goliath clans should visit home more often. (Player notes. Death by box text sucks.)

The group gets back to Caer-Dineval. After giving Cooper a big wedgie and other things, which will not be mention, they keep the Sunshine Star and the wine. The next day Duvessa Shane, the speaker of Bryn Shander, is worried about rumors that the Arcane Brotherhood has sent operatives to Ten-Towns. She suspects that Vaelish Gant, an Arcane Brotherhood wizard incarcerated at Revel’s End, might have information to share. Duvessa asks the characters to question Gant and find out what he knows about Arcane Brotherhood activity in Ten-Towns, offering a reward of 250 gp if they obtain useful information. She also gives the party a signed letter notifying Gant that, in exchange for his cooperation, Duvessa will petition the Lords’ Alliance for a reduction in Gant’s sentence. The group of Tuk’n Rol, Jill, Smokey, and Sandoval decide to take the assignment. Astryal has ducked out as his former lover has brought out the wedding planner book.

The trip to Revel’s End is uneventful. Except for the detour they took so Sandoval could do his business on the ashes of the cabin. The prison is 160 feet above the dock. The road up to the prison is steep and has been clear cut for a quarter of mile. With the paper work, they gain access to prison and Gant Prisoner 237. Gant lets drop the cells have anti magic over them. He then tries to cast Sleep on them.

Warden Marta, “Gant you know most of us are high enough level for than spell to work. Plus, we made sure your visitors have no focus or material components either.

Tuk’n Rol the artificer, “Yes she is right. But come on a give us some information on the Arcana Brotherhood.” He then establishes mental contact with Gant and the rest of party. The party works on a jail break mentally while asking bogus questions to Gant out loud. Gant gives up Vellynne Harpell as member of the Arcana Brotherhood to the warden. The warden will put out a warrant for her arrest. The group is given a chit for one-week lodging at a Lord’s Alliance house. The group also mentally tells Gant to feed them information about the prison when he is out of his cell and the antimagic zone. (Players who have the book, feel free to read the pages to come up with a plan. Say at least 10 days go by before you have enough information on the keep.)

The group returns to Caer-Dineval. Andy has gotten the message to return home to his clan. He takes Jill, Tuk’n Rol, and Sandoval. The group has no encounters to Skytower due to the dm getting sick. Andy means with his great uncle Arn Rockfist. Arn agrees to let Andy and his friends fly Wyrmdoom Crag to start peace talks. He asks the group to pray for wisdom in front of the tribe’s wisdom stone. Andy falls asleep during this prayer session and is cussed out by Arn. Who then puts Andy in front on the strength runestone, and puts rocks in Andy shoes so he stays awake during the ritual. The rituals work and the group gains a blessing of inspiration for one act in the next twenty-four hours.

The next morning, they fly to Wyrmdoom. The elder has the young members of clan challenge the group to a dodgeball fight. The dodgeballs are four feet across. Due to the blessings. (NO NO DUE TO DM ONLY ROLLING ONCE ABOVE 12). Due to the blessing the group wins the dodgeball fight. Peace talks have open. And will be finished on Tarsakh 8, 1489.

RIP Macreadus.

Bryn Shander 1187. Bremen 128. Caer-Dineval 89. Caer-Konig 140. Dougan’s Hole 29. Easthaven 694. Good Mead 76. Lonely Wood 90. Targos 975. Termalaine 614.

Next series of quests. Cackling Chasm is gnolls with about 10 rooms. Cave of Berserkers has 7 rooms. Jarlmoot 7 challenges. Karkolohk 15 encounters. Lost Spire 4 challenges. Ghost of Easthaven. Ghost of Fredrick. Hungry monster of Dougan’s Hole.

jasper

Rotten DM
Icewind Dale Session 11

Chapter 2

Ice Iced Polar Berserkers

Days 90-98

Ches 29, 1489 7 A.M. To Tarsakh, 9 P.M.

Day 820+ with no sun.

Time Started 5:52 PM End Time 11:23 PM

PC Killed 6 Monsters Killed 110 Villains Captured 23 Villains Escaped 16

Magic Items Potion of Acid, Cold, Fire, Force Resistance, Shield Guardian Amulet, Scroll of Invisibility. Scroll of knock.

Loot. Thieves Tools. Chest 2 by 2 by 2 keeps things at 68 F.

If you started at 4 promote to 5th level. 10 downtime days. 80 GP. Everyone else was 5 so only 80 GP and it counts against your total gold. Tuk’n Rol your fur line My Little Pony Briefs are not worth anything.

I had a strong group of six so most monsters had near max hit points and I sometimes add 1 monster. Tuk’n Rol Aberrant Mind 1, Artificer 4. Midoria the Frozen one Cleric 4. Sandavol Ranger 5. Jimmy Ranger 2 Rogue 2. Gold Fine Artificer 4. Andy Goliath Fighter 5.

The group leaves out early on the Ches 29 about 4 hours later they see three kobolds in a winter coat. It waves at them but does not answer any questions. It looks like it sick, as it approaches the group, its face shoots out a beam of light. Freezing the polar bear pulling the sled instantly. It is coldlight walker. Three Ice mephits attack Tuk’n Rol. They whisper “Auril sends you regards.” They win the fight but Gold Fine remembers the body will be frozen for nine days before it thaws. Then you could raise dead on it. The party pushes on wearing snowshoes.

(DM. Okay if you die from them, do you want me just advance the calendar 10 days and you deal with the death penalty, or thirteen days.)

(DM. Travel time overland is ½ mile in shoes, ¼ near mountains. Please remember this. After 16 hours of travel, you must take a long rest. I would prefer you only travel 12 hours.)

The group gets to the Lost Spire of Netheril. Thousands of years ago this was the site of a wizard school. Some time after that, the glacier rolled it upside down. The group raids the school. Finding lots of interesting stuff. See books. The group helps Dzann the simulacrum of Dzann who Andy put the torch to in the first session. The group agrees to help Dzann the snowman. After defeating the basilisk, Jimmy is charge of the lab. He pushes the green button first.

Dzann is alive. The group takes a long rest and push on toward the cave of the berserkers. Dzann mentions Vellynne Harpell is a human necromancer, as cold and uncaring as the corpses she animates. She’s a withered old fool whose greatest asset—her family name—does her no good in Icewind Dale.” As they travel on toward to cave around 3 AM.

Dzann, “Jimmy did you push the green button first. OR the red button?”

Jimmy, “Green.”

Dzann, “SH….” He turns to snow and is blown away. His bodyguard flees.

A day later a blizzard blows in and the group constructs an igloo. It breaks after three hours; the only excitement were the three crag cats trying to enter to get warm. After two hours on trial, Sandoval breaks left when he sees a guy trying to use the bathroom on a small hill. Midoria moves forward to speak to him.

Sandoval, “It is another Coldlight Walker! FIRE. Shoot. IT!” He pumps three hand crossbow bolts into the guys back. The guy does not flinch.

Tuk’n Rol, “Guys I have a bad feeling about this.”

Arveiaturace an Ancient White Dragon speaks, “Meltharond are you okay. I could hear crossbolts flying. Now I hear a firebolt going by.” He raises himself from the snow drifts which cover him. Jimmy flees North. Sandoval flees west. Gold Fines flees North by West. Andy flees East. Tuk’n Rol flees North by East. Midoria just not flee as they are grabbed and questioned by Arveiaturace. Midoria tries to trick Arveiaturace but as he sees his party fleeing to all points of the compass, he changes his mind.

Arveiaturace, “Meltharond is wounded. Be a dear and go heal him. Or be snackage!” Midoria climbs the tail and back of the ancient white dragon. He finds Meltharond frozen to a dragon rider saddle. Meltharond has been frozen for a long time. Also, the dragon has cataracts, limiting the range of her vision to 60 feet. But her other abilities are unchanged. Midoria cast healing and bluffs her, telling Meltharond is now okay.

Arveiaturace, “Meltharond wants to know every thing about the person who shot him in the buttocks with a hand cross bow bolt. I want to know where were you going?” She grabs the cleric again and takes flight. Seeing the party still fleeing.

Midoria, “We were going to check out the cave of berserkers to the south. His name is Sandoval. He is originally from Ten Towns. He and his buddies took over the gem mine at Termalaine a few months ago. He likes spicy hot girls. His eggs over easy.” An hour later after spilling all the facts on Sandoval, the dragon drops him off about 500 yards from the cave.

Arveiaturace, “Good cleric. Nice cleric.” She pads the cleric on the head not noticing she is pushing him chest deep into the snow drifts. She flies off toward Ten-towns.

Tuk’n Rol telepathically, “Are you alive? Where are you? Did the dragon eat you?”

Midoria, “Yes. About a couple hundred yards from the cave. No, the dragon did not eat me.”

Tuk’n Rol, “Okay stay where you are. We come to you. It will be about four hours. Stay put.” Midoria sighs. “Sure. Whatever!” and starts digging themselves out. After getting the gang back together, the group advances to the cave. The cave berserkers have built a wooden wall and door but the beam which holds the door is heavy and thieves’ tools are no help. So, they throw Jimmy over the wall. He lands in a snow bank and gets the door open quietly. The group quietly moves into the caves. They find a dragon hatchery. Two or three eggshells. Andy slips on the ice. Waking the wyrmlings off the main hatchery.

Gelym, “Tyzar the hunters are back. Hopefully, they brought food.” Jimmy tosses three iron rations toward the cave opening of their second den. Tuk’n Rol throws an artificer’s device which smells like roast beef. Tyzar runs out and scoops up the beef.

Tyzar, “This is not beef. And they are not hunters. Gelym, Lunch on the hoof.” Gelym charges around the corner and uses it breath weapon hurting the three front rankers. Combat starts and end quickly. The group explores the caves. One of the south caves holds a glowing blue flame which warms the cave to 32 F but can’t be blown out. The group explores the north passage. Andy is in lead when he sees a dead owlbear body. He kicks it. Once.

Andy, “Why is always a dead owlbear. I can talk with them. I wish it was alive. So, I could kill it.”

Dead owlbear, “That is not nice. How would you like it if I wore your skin?”

Andy, “How could you? You don’t know skinning or leather working. And how can a dead owlbear talk?”

Dead owlbear, “You will make a loving skin. And your brains will cure it. Plus, I not a dead owlbear but nameless.” A frost-bitten berserker arises from the guts of the owlbear. The party pumps fire, cross bolts, and melee weapons into the berserker. The berserker is force back into the kitchen. He goes to one knee.

Nameless, “That does not hurt anymore.” Andy hits in the face. “You can’t hurt me anymore!” Sandoval pumps four bolts into him. “I said that is not going to work. Time to die. And my friends have snuck behind you!”

(DM notes. Ok. I did draw the map badly. I can not do justice to fight. But smart move on shoving the enemy down the fissures. Good move on the sanctuary spell.) The fight is long. The group flees but both Andy and Gold Fine do not escape. They are killed. The rest of gang flees to Caer-Dineval. Andy and Gold Fine bodies are recovered by the Adventure League Body Snatchers team. The Group goes to the house of Morninglord in Bryn Shander to raise them.

EXTRA DOUGAN’ HOLE is no more. From the bodies most were eaten by Bulette. However, six had their brains eaten. Three of them had strange burn holes in them. Where will the bulette strike next?

Extra Sandoval’s Raiders kill two evil white dragons. Skin and parts are available.

Extra the Easthaven Ghost is wandering the town of Easthaven, who can put a stop to it.

Books. Magical Wonders of Netheril. This book is a collection of interviews with Netherese archmages, who discuss their studies of ancient elven magic and the creation of mythallars. The book includes sketches of such devices.

Mysteries of the Phaerimm. This book sheds light on the phaerimm—telepathic, funnel-shaped monsters of malevolent intellect that lurk in the Underdark—and includes disturbing sketches of them.

Wizards in the Hollow. The birth of the Netherese empire is chronicled in this otherwise dull, plodding story about the lives of three Netherese wizards.

Ajamar’s Guide to the Phantastic. This breezy, lighthearted treatise on illusion magic was required reading in many Netherese classrooms. It describes clever ways to use common illusion spells.

The Unfettered Mind. This lunatic text discusses how one might exist solely as a disembodied brain, preserved for eons in a magical suspension fluid. It includes sketches of brains in jars.

Lost Scrolls of Sabreyl. Written in Elvish, this scholarly tome copies and analyzes fragments of eight ancient scrolls left behind by a sun elf wizard who taught magic to the cloud giants of Ostoria, a bygone empire that collapsed 40,000 years ago.

From Shadow, Substance. This speculative work discusses how one might harness the Weave to turn an illusory object or creature into its real counterpart, with commentary and criticism from noteworthy Netherese illusionists.

Here Lies the King. This elaborately plotted novel features an illusionist who uses magic to impersonate a prince, supplant a king, rule a fictional kingdom for sixty-one years, and fake his own death.

Ventatost. This book uses testimonials and conspiracy theories to piece together events leading up to the destruction of a Netherese city called Ventatost, which disintegrated as it flew over the forest of Cormanthor nearly two thousand years ago, before the fall of Ythryn.

RIP Coke the Polar Bear, Dzann the Snowman, Andy, Gold Fine, Gelym, Tyzar.

Population. Bryn Shander 1180. Bremen 121. Caer-Dineval 82. Caer-Konig 133. Dougan’s Hole 0. Easthaven 683. Good Mead 69. Lonely Wood 83. Targos 968. Termalaine 607.

jasper

Rotten DM
Icewind Dale Session 12

Chapter 2

Beware the Bulette or Chasm Chase

Days 99-107

Tarsakh 9 7 AM to Tarsakh 17 7 AM.

Day 831+ with no sun.

Time Started 5:58 PM End Time 8:48 PM

PC Killed 6 Monsters Killed 129 Villains Captured 23 Villains Escaped 16

Magic Items Boots of the Winterlands. Ruby Monocle of Minute Seeing. Space coif of Telepathy. Hook of Fisher’s Delight.

No leveling as you are all fifth level but you can swap out the magic items.

Again, you avoided the New Moon. Extra Dougan’s Hole Bremen joins the humanoid sacrifice. Bryn Shander, Bremen, Easthaven, Targos, and Termalaine are now practicing humanoid sacrifice.

Extra Ghost of Lake still haunts Easthaven.

Extra Dougan’s Hole is ghost town. Towns people found eaten.

Extra Towns people of Termalaine has petition to recall speaker Astryal. Mine Unions members are calling a vote next week to vote in new union leader. Where there is graft there is Smokey.

Remember travel times is ½ mile over land and ¼ mile per hour in the mountains.

I had a strong group of six. Tuk’n Rol Aberrant Sorcerer 1 Artificer 4. Sandavol ranger 5. (Astryal was played for the first encounter.) Midi Cleric 5. Andy Goliath Fighter 5. Gold Fine Artificer 5. Jimmy Rogue 2 Ranger 3. Special guest stars Mr. Snuffy and Mammoth Mafia.

As my group wants me to play close to homebrew. Early during the game, they visited a spaceship. They did not leave peacefully. Captain Vorryn a space gnome ceremorph was forced to set the destruct sequence on his space ship. Since Tuk’n Rol had a special crystal in his head which would have helped. The good captain has vowed revenge and he has a little dog to help him.

The town speakers have ordered Astryal to investigate while Dougan’s Hole has gone silent. As his bride to be is making him look over china patterns and curtain patterns, he has agreed. (HEY Astryal how about giving a girl and the dm an OFFICAL WEDDING DATE). The group arrives in Dougan’s Hole. All the houses are damaged. As if something erupted out the floor and attack the households. The group is trying to find any one living.

Midi, “Hey I got something. You need to come see this.” (The scary music begins.)

Astryal, “You got a left boot, with a yellow spa sock, and a shin. So what?”

Midi shaking the contents out and brush off the boot, “WELL ACTUALLY. It is the left boot of a boot of Winterlands. You people spread out and look for the right foot one.” (DM NOTE. Oops, I forgot to run the group through the Dougan’s Hole adventure. But just move the magic item and monsters elsewhere.)

The group scatters. Tuk’n Rol hears the faint clicking like a Geiger counter. The clicking goes from raw bacon to burnt bacon in under a minute. Out of the floor a dog bursts. Did I say dog. No, a Bulette. Around its neck is a space tracker. On it back is a saddle. The Bulette leaps at Tuk’n Rol. A small brown fog appears behind him. He screams telepathically. Andy screams out loud as Captain Vorryn has dropped from the ceiling and is trying to eat his brain. Vorryn is also trying to insert a space laser into his ear. The fight goes on for a while. Houses collapse. Houses are set on fire. Tuk’n Rol is nearly eaten and his psi crystal is taken away. (DUMB DM. I should move the monster 40 feet away from the party.) But after nearly dying, Tuk’n Rol is rescued by the party. The group finds the right boot in the bulette’s mouth. A broken space laser pistol. Ruby Monocle of Minute Seeing. Space coif of Telepathy. As they are taking a long rest Sandoval arrives and swaps out with Astryal who now has to decide blue frosting or pink frosting on the wedding and groom’s cakes.

They held out to Crackling Chasm only 20 miles away. They will be they in a day. Or two. Okay it will be three. (See travel time reminders.) On the first day just before a long rest a band of gnolls try to sneak up on them while a blizzard has fallen on them. Too bad for the gnolls.

On the morning of the second day, Midi wakes the group five minutes early.

Midi, “Guys. Six mammoths are approaching. One of the is awaken.”

Gold Fine, “How do you know they awaken? Did you see in their eyes from sixty feet away?”

Jimmy, “I was killed by a moose. A moose. ARRGH!”

Tuk’n Rol, “Maybe he saw them low crawling up to the camp fire.”

Midi, “Guys, I hear…”

Sandoval, “A mammoth is a CR 6 creature. There are six of them. I am leaving.” He dashes outside and toward Ten-Towns.

Snuffy, “Call me Mr. Snuffy. And if you had not been stuffing your faces with Georgia’s Chicken Wings, the cold cuts, and.”

Gold Fine interrupts, “The wings were full wings. Andy could you get me a soda?”

Andy, “Sure as soon as my pc cuts a hole in the back of the igloo. Next time people all our emergency igloos have two exits!”

Mr. Snuffy from Sesame street, “Actually, I started the conversion with Midi. I need so lettuce. That is a cool igloo you got. Me and my boys.”

Gold Fine, “Actually, you have two girls in your group.”

After the dm puts his head down, Mr. Snuffy, “You have cold cash. I have big feet. It would be a shame if a small accident happens. Like a small gnome get squash under some careless feet?” In the end the group is shaken down by the Snuffy Sesame Street Mafia for 20 GP. (Thanks, Marcus, for the wandering monster roll.)

The group sneaks up on the Crackling Chasm and interrupts the morning prayer to Yeenoghu of gnolls. They murder everyone in the chasm including a certain berserker they met last session.

RIP Chyzke head Gnoll who only speaks Gnoll, Nameless Berserker.

Population. Bryn Shander 1179. Bremen 119. Caer-Dineval 82. Caer-Konig 133. Easthaven 675. Good Mead 69. Lonely Wood 83. Targos 968. Termalaine 606.

DM Questions. Is Astryal going to set a wedding date. Is the group going to track down the Bulette? Is the group going to handle the Ghost of the Lake in Easthaven? Is the group going to try to contact the duergar’s? What is going to happen to Dougan’s Hole?

jasper

Rotten DM
Weddings Upcoming. Day 110 Groom Astyral Broussard Speaker of Termalaine and Allie Shorard Inn keeper of Northern Light in Caer-Dineval will be wed in a PRIVATE ceremony. A few close friends and family are invited. NOTE not all party members are invited.
Son of a snowman. This leaves me two in game days to plan something. Hmm Can't do Drunken Mammoth due to travel time. ideas. Ideas. I need slightly evil ideas.

jasper

Rotten DM
Icewind Dale Session 13

Chapter 2

Goblin Honeymoon

Days 108-119

Tarsakh 17 7 AM to Tarsakh 29 7AM.

Day 838+ with no sun.

Time Started 5:28 PM End Time 9:10 PM

PC Killed 6 Monsters Killed 151 Villains Captured 23 Villains Escaped 16

Magic Item Horn of Blasting. Shield Guardian (Story Award) Is fully functioning with 80 HP.

I had an average group of four. Astryal Brossard Speaker of Termalaine Druid 5. Andy Fighter 5. Gold Fine Artificer 5. Jimmy Rogue 2. Ranger 3.

DM Answer. Boots of Winterlands does not change your travel time. It ignores difficult terrain for combat. You can debate me on the phone messenger line.

DM Answer. The Snowy Owlbear uses Owlbear stats. It cost 9 GP to feed it per day. Less if you have the cauldron with you.

DM Warning. If someone says words to the effect, “What if I do x?” On the third What if I going to assume you are doing it. Either declare the action or whisper the question to the player next to you.

We will skip over the wedding which was crashed by Auril’s minions. We will skip over the airship crashing on Gold Fine’s head.

Extra Ghost of Easthaven is still claiming victims.

Extra Good Mean Declares Mr. Snuffy and Mammoth Mafia for stomping out the Bulette menace.

After Astyral’s wedding, he is given a mission by the other nine, Um eight speakers. Chief Yarb-Gnock is asking for a peace treaty with ten um nine towns. Astyral was not impress with Speaker’s Duvessa Shane comment at the end of note of adventuring life. The trip to the fortress of Karkolohk was mostly combat free. But as they got closer Gold Fine was getting a psychic distress call. The shield Guardian amulet was also beeping. As they arrive after meal time, the chief would not meet with them. But they were given a hasty tour of the fort showing off how well defended it was. The throne rooms. The Chasm of power. The healer huts. The amulet pointed out the shield guardian was at the bottom. Something in the chieftain’s room was sending out the psychic call.

PLAYERS, “WE NOT FALLING FOR IT. You want us to sneak around in the middle of the night and murder us. We will wait till morning.”

Andy, “All man I was going to go drinking with the healers with my mug which lets me not get drunk! Ok. I put my away.”

Astryal and the goblin boss discuss terms. The terms are no raiding on either side. Wergild to either side. Goblins can shop during daylight at the towns. But the goblins must give up that old robot in the chasm. The chief agrees as rumors of the party has made it back to him.

While the group is trying to figure out how to recover the guardian, they come up with plan to let Gold Fine get into the chief’s room. (DM NOTE. Ok I allowed the artificer to give advantage to Jimmy to figure out the pulley system.) The group recovers the shield guardian and goes to the party. While Andy the Goliath is break dancing with the goblin healers and only breaking a few of them, Jimmy and Gold Fine slip away and break into the chief’s room. Gold Fine sees a spaceship zoo pod similar to the one he was captured in. A little bit smaller but the nine-number key pad is still there. The chief has written on a yellow sticky note pad the combinations he has tried. Gold Fine gives it a go. (Ok. The book says only a knock spell but talking with my players we came up with. DC 15 intelligence check due artificer, Gold Fine being on the ship, and it made sense.) Gold fine punches in 666 and out drops a gibbering mouther. Which the two of them defeat because the dm had bad dice rolls. They shove the corpse of the mouther into the space cage and lock up behind them.

The group wakes up and leaves the fort. Jimmy takes note they could check out the Jarlmoot if they push the pace as it only opens on the full moon. Except for the party laughing and yelling encouragement to the snowy owlbear which Andy was trying to tame. Nothing much happens on the way to Jarlmoot.

Every fool moon, the ghosts of the seven frost giants Jarls meet at the moot. It is said if you defeat the ghosts’ champion you be richly rewarded. The group gets to the moot just in time. Andy salutes the Jarl and the fight is on. (HEY DM remember which monsters have damage resistance before the fight and not halfway.) After a tough fight due to space limitations, the champions are defeated and the Jarl gets off the throne.

(DM ANDY ONE MORE POTTY JOKE AND ALL GIANTS GET ADVANTAGE.)

The throne rises revealing a small hallway which leads to a medium size chamber. A riddle is on wall just before the chamber. To the left is stone doors with no handles. To the right, iron bars about two inches apart. In the chamber are six braziers with dwarven runs. (RUINS. RUINS. ANDY.) Why frost giants are guarding a dwarven tomb the dm does not know. The group solves the riddle unlock the iron gate. Andy decides to check out the stone doors. With Jimmy’s help the doors are open. Inspecting the room, they find the items they needed to solve the riddle were already here.

(The whole table laugh at this.)

The group goes through the right passageway and has to get through a door. Taking all their might. (Everyone failed the athletics roll at least once.) Inside the is a chest with a gold key in it. (And we had lots of miscommunication here. So, Skip.)

Jimmy picks the lock and out pops a flying battle axe for each thing present. (Andy what do mean you never encounters a flying sword trap?) They group quickly defeats the trap and gets a horn of blasting.

Population. Bryn Shander 1179. Bremen 119. Caer-Dineval 82. Caer-Konig 133. Easthaven 663. Good Mead 69. Lonely Wood 83. Targos 968. Termalaine 606.

DM Note. Would someone please work out the pull weight of both an owlbear and shield guardian. I have dropped the Chardalyn items at your request.

Next session is Chapter 3. You should be level four or five. You can bring in a lower-level pc if you want. This is a possible location the duergar’s big fort. Remember you have killed and release some Duergar. The leader is Xardorok Sunblight. Will you ally with them or not?

Last edited:

Remove ads