• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jemal's Anniversary Special!

D'Raven

First Post
I just read how power level actualy works... Every thing has a max equal to double the power level except for skills? And you limited uncapped powers to power level... So how does that work with deflection? It replaces the defend action but the bonus is equal to the power's rank. At max 5 it would be worse then most active defenses that cap at 10.

Mind you, maxing you defenses is a character concept on it's own and has costs similar.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Active defenses do not cap at 10. Active defenses(Dodge/pary) PLUS Toughness caps at 10. SO you could have 4 dodge/pary and 6 toughness, or 7 dodge/parry and 3 toughness, or 5 each.
The doubling is for things that are shared: defenses (See above) and offenses (Attack bonus + Effect rank=PL x 2)
The only other thing that has a hard cap is Skills, which is 10+PL (Or 15 for this example).

And I do not recall limiting anything beyond what the book limits.

As to deflection, it has whatever the cap is you decided on for your active defenses(Dodge/parry)

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, keep posting IC whether you have a sheet or not (Some of you take a bit longer to power up than others).
Your powers can and will manifest as soon as your sheet is done. Powers may change slightly as we go over said sheet and find any minor flaws, don't worry about that. For now, if your sheet is in the RG that means you can consider yourself charged up. :)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Character sheet as follows

Name: Juan Height 1,7 mts
Skin: tan Weight 90 kg
Hair: Black Shape Human
Eyes: Brown Age: 28

Complications
Prejudice : Latinamerican
Quirk : Odd remarks: Juan often makes odd remarks that make tense situations to be even worse.

Abilities ( 26 pp)
Strength 0 , Stamina 2 , Agility 2 , Dexterity 2 , Fighting 2 , Intellect

Powers ( 13 pp)
- Dimensional arsenal ( Create 3: Innate, Subtle 1, Increased duration (continuous), Precise, Limited (Achaic weapons and armors) ) · 9 point/s
- ? ( Unknown power 4: ? ) · 4 point/s

Advantages ( 10 pp)
Contacts 1 , Ranged attack 2 , Hide in plain sight 1 , Improved aim 1 , Improvised tools 1 , Jack of all trades 1 , Teamwork 1 , Well informed 1 , Equipment 3

Skills ( 16 pp)
Acrobatics 2 (+ 4 ), Deception 0 (+ -1 ), Athletics 0 (+ 0 ), Expertise( Player ) 5 (+ 7 ), Insight 4 (+ 6 ), Treatment 3 (+ 7 ), Persuacion 0 (+ -1 ), Technology 2 (+ 6 ), Close (unarmed) 0 (+ 2 ), 0 0 (+ 2 ), Vehicles 4 (+ 6 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 2 ), 0 0 (+ 2 ), 0 0 (+ 2 ), 0 0 (+ 2 ), Perception 4 (+ 6 ), Intimidation 0 (+ -1 ), Investigation 4 (+ 8 ), Stealth 4 (+ 6 ),

Offence
Initiative: 2

Throw + 4 Attack for DC: 15 Range: Ranged ( )
Unarmed + 2 Attack for DC: 15 Range: Melee ( )
Grab + 2 Attack for DC: 10 Range: 0 ( )

Defence ( 8 pp)
Dodge: 4 Parry: : 4
Toughness: 2
Fortitude: 4
Will: 4

Equipment[/size] Cost
Camera 1
Car ("It's a rental!") 8
Smart phone 2
Flashlight 1
Multitool 1

Wrahn

First Post
So, my original concept was a psychic, but as that has been taken (which is fine, I never said anything), I am thinking of something inspired by the sparking event. Perhaps I was standing a bit closer than everyone else, but I have the ability to draw forth dreams from myself and others, to cause them to exist in the world. So this is what I am thinking character wise, tell me if I am doing something wrong.

1 Str
5 Sta(0+5)
0 Agl
0 Dex
0 Fgt
2 Int
1 Awe
1 Pre

5 Dodge 0
5 Parry 0
5 Will 1
5 Fort
5 Tough

Deception 1
Insight 1
Tech 4
Vehicles 1
Player Expertise 5

10 Enhance trait 5 (Stamina)
35 Variable 5 (Dream Weaving)

10 Characteristics + 14 Saves + 6 Skills + 45 Powers = 75

Complication:

Motivation: Uphold the Good. Rob has a good moral center and knows right from wrong. He has these problems and seems to be one of the few that can stand against it. It is time to make a stand.

Dream Reality: The boundry between dreams and reality is a little blurry around Rob. Sometimes things take an unreal, dreamlike quality. Usually it is nothing more than seeing something duck behind a corner that isn't there or color are more surreal, but occasionally things go... weird and people begin to experience waking dreams.

"Did I see a gnome selling papers outside?"
"Is that a damn unicorn?!?"
"WHY AM I NAKED!"

As examples

Jemal

Adventurer
Before I go over any of the characters I would like to address Wrahn:
I love your idea for the dream power, but as a variable structure it's either going to be too diverse(If I let you decide what dreams you can use it's virtually infinite possibility) or too limited(Waiting for me to decide what you can do).

What exactly were you planning on doing with it? I think a Summon/Create Array would probably work better.

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, lets go over these characters a bit. Only D'raven has posted his character to the rogue's gallery so I'll do his before I head to bed.

OK, D'raven:
First thing, I'd appreciate it if your stats were a bit easier to read, they don't indicate which number means what nor what the total is. Now, I can figure that out, but it would be a lot easier to read if it were more outlined. (IE instead of "dodge 3+2", something like Dodge: 3 agility + 3 ranks=6)
defenses
Dodge 3+2
Fort 2 + 3
Parry 1 + 5
Tough 2 +2
Will 0 +5

Skills
Expertise driver 5
Expertise soldier 3
acrobatics 1 +3
Athletics 1 +2
close combat unarmed 3 +1
perception 3
sleight of hand 1 +1
Stealth 1 +3
tech 1
Vehicles 1

Secondly, technically you cant buy toughness under defenses, it can only be gained by increasing your stamina, purchasing the protection power, or buying the Defensive Roll Advantage.. but the standard 'protection' power is the same cost as just buying it as a defense would be anyways, so that doesn't matter.
HOWEVER, while we're in that area, your defenses say 18 points but I only count 17.. Dodge +2 Fort +3 Parry +5 Tough +2 Will +5= 17. I think you meant to put dodge+3 b/c at +2 it's only 5 which is 1 below your cap of 6 (matching parry). If thats the case then it would be 18.

Skills: Not sure if you read it earlier here, but the only expertise you need is 5 ranks in Expertise: Player Knowledge, to represent that your character is you and knows everything you do, and needing no rolls. Anything that requires a roll for non-'knowledge' stuff is usually done by other skills (Vehicles for driver, or combat/survival stuff for soldier).

Powers:
OK, stuff about your Deflect: First, just so everybody's clear:
What IS Deflect? It allows you to take the Defend action but A: Use your deflect rank instead of your attack bonus and B: apply it to other people's defenses.
What is the Defend Action: You use your standard action to defend rather than attack. Instead of using '10+defense rank' as your defense rating, you roll a d20 and add 10 if 10 or under (For a minimum of 11). So you're guaranteed at least a +1 defense, and maybe as much as +10.
What's the cap: The cap is whatever your active defense cap is.
*Note - I'm not sure on the official stance, but I will be running it as follows for usage with other players: they do not gain more from it than their normal defense would be. So if their defense is lower than your deflection you'd only be able to use ranks equal to their defense. Also that means CURRENT defense, no using it to compensate for an all-out attack etc.

Now, if you want it to affect the same reach as your chain, just take the Reduced Range flaw (-1 cost per rank). That would make it 'close' range, which means you could deflect anything targeting something you can touch. (Which with elongation 4 is 120 feet)

Now onto the chains: You have extra limbs 2 (Projection, sustained) with Elongation 4(Only extra limbs). So what this means is you have two chains that can extend up to 120 feet but 'go limp/retract' if you are unable to focus (Take actions).

Empathic healing + Regen is an interesting combination. Some would consider it exploitative but for this game I'll just allow it.

Now onto your complications: Complications don't need to be specific examples from the book, nor do they need to be buzzwords. Just pick something about you and/or your powers that could make your life complicated. It's just something the GM (Me) can use as a minor plot device, roleplaying gimmick, or to make a scene more fun/dramatic/interesting.
For example: Addicted to energy drinks/caffeine. I could use something like that and say that in an instance where you haven't been able to have any for a while, you start getting jittery and maybe you take some minor penalties for a bit, or perhaps I would remove your immunity to sleep because you're not hopped up on energy/caffeine any more, etc.

Also I noticed a couple people put Prejudice on their sheets. While prejudices are a large part of the world and can be a great complication that I would use in other games, I don't forsee it ever coming up in this more light-hearted/four color game.

Wrahn

First Post
Before I go over any of the characters I would like to address Wrahn:
I love your idea for the dream power, but as a variable structure it's either going to be too diverse(If I let you decide what dreams you can use it's virtually infinite possibility) or too limited(Waiting for me to decide what you can do).

What exactly were you planning on doing with it? I think a Summon/Create Array would probably work better.

Well, I had not anticipated having to restrict what I could do, looking at the variable structure as a variable power pool (from HERO system) If it has to be contained within a narrow set of powers, it probably won't work. As examples off the top of my head this is the kind of use I was thinking I could do:

1:

Dream of Flight (most common dream of all): Flight 5
and
Burning Dream (Dreams of being caught on fire): Damage 5 (Perception +2)

2:

Summon Nightmare: Summon 5 (Heroic +2, Controlled +1)

3:

Dream Door: (Allows a portal to be opened, must go from one sleeping target to another) Teleport 5 (+1 Accurate, +1 Easy, +1 Extended, +2 Portal, -1 limited to extended, -1 Medium)

4:

Various forms of Create (probably too many to list, from "I thought there was a door here" to "Holy crap, did that giant anvil just fall from the sky")

5:

Summon Hordes of Helpful Fairies: Summon 2 (+1 Active, +1 Horde, +8 Sixteen Minions, 1 Mindlink)

If these kind of things are too diverse, I will probably move on to different concept

Last edited:

D'Raven

First Post
As to my points I did screw up my math I've been moving 1 or 2 points around here and there trying to get to a satisfied start but I've discovered something harsh about the system. The way you have ruled deflect, and it is fair and balanced I'm not saying it isn't, is not useful to my concept or fair to the party, I can't use it to protect mooks, aka civilians, and I can not use it very effectively to help the party unless no one maxes their defenses/toughness. I left my defenses below my max so I would get some effect from it, but others shouldn't beforced to follow suite.

My plan was to play a buff Mage/healer but with power level caps the only way to do that is to have every one in on it, purposely leaving theirselves weaker in the areas that I want to buff. Now this is not fair to the party. I can not ask every one else to change their characters so that I can feel useful. The game gives options for using buffs but it comes down to the problem of over balancing the system has.

I'll leave it up up as it is, moding and clarifying the rest as you suggested.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads