Paizo Jessica Price (ex Paizo employee) spills the beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
It should absolutely come with no surprise, but with definitely a little sadness, the lengths people will bend over backwards to in order to distrust women. Misspeak and correct yourself once you are corrected? Sorry, you're a liar and everything you say is suspect. :rolleyes:

Everything being reported here is both terrible and entirely believable. The absurdly transphobic working conditions described by Crystal Frasier are, in particular, relatable.

While I've never been a fan of Pathfinder as a system (what if 3.5 were somehow more crunchy?) I've always appreciated what appeared to be good faith efforts at producing inclusive content. Also disappointing and not surprising, how the higher ups fought that every step of the way, but were glad to take the credit for the thing they tried to stop.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, they should've taken care of it, absolutely. I'm in management, and there's no way I would let something like that happen to my employees. I was just concerned that I was missing the rest of the story.
You where - I just read through it and that is a lot of...ugh. :(

Ringtail

World Traveller
I feel bad now that I bought the core rulebooks recently. I know Crystal and Price have not called for boycotts and they can be counter-productive but it's the only action I feel I can reasonably take.
I feel you, I purchased Secrets of Magic like 4-5 days ago and coerced my group into a one-shot last weekend.

I've never bought into the subscription model, so I can abstain from purchases for the time being. I already own the most of the core-books already, so I don't have to stop playing, just stop paying.

I feel bad now that I bought the core rulebooks recently. I know Crystal and Price have not called for boycotts and they can be counter-productive but it's the only action I feel I can reasonably take.

It's a complicated thing. A lot of good people put a lot of hard work into those books through bad conditions to make them really inclusive and progressive. There's a good post in one of the subthreads of that long one that the problem is harder than just abstaining from buying stuff, but rather forcing the change they were selling us to become real rather than illusory.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Is the POC the person fired, or their assistant?

Because from reading this, Sara Marie was fired. But is she the POC, or is the POC Diego Valdez (who resigned in protest)?
Her original tweet says they fired TWO of their top people, one woman, and one POC, so I inferred that to mean Diego was the PoC. Which as we know, isn't true. Also, why call out the gender and ethnicity of the people unless it was directly the reason why they were let go? Based on her reaction in the GW fiasco, she seems to have a history of immediately going to "it's because of sexism/bigotry" when there isn't anything to support that.

Note: I'm not saying that bigotry or sexism isn't a major issue; it absolutely is. Just that this ONE particular person has been dishonest in the past, and currently again, so I'm listening to others impacted rather than her to base my opinion on

Sacrosanct

Legend
It should absolutely come with no surprise, but with definitely a little sadness, the lengths people will bend over backwards to in order to distrust women. Misspeak and correct yourself once you are corrected? Sorry, you're a liar and everything you say is suspect. :rolleyes:

Everything being reported here is both terrible and entirely believable. The absurdly transphobic working conditions described by Crystal Frasier are, in particular, relatable.

While I've never been a fan of Pathfinder as a system (what if 3.5 were somehow more crunchy?) I've always appreciated what appeared to be good faith efforts at producing inclusive content. Also disappointing and not surprising, how the higher ups fought that every step of the way, but were glad to take the credit for the thing they tried to stop.
No one is bending over backwards to distrust her because she's a woman. She has a history of being dishonest with these sorts of accusations. That's all. No bending over backwards necessary. I believe all the other women, just not automatically believing one who has repeatedly made false accusations of sexism.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
*citation needed

e: Oh, I just realized you were referencing that time a bunch of Gamergate trolls yelled at ArenaNET about Jessica Price speaking up about sexism in the games industry which led to her being fired, an event most of the games community outside (I mean outside of r/KIA, so more accurately the reasonable gaming community) saw as an incredibly cowardly deferring to loud angry sexists and a loss for efforts at making the industry more inclusive.

Jessica has never said anything that wasn't patently obvious to anyone paying even a modicum of attention. The industry is sexist at basically every level, intentional or otherwise, and she has done nothing but speak truth to power and face the retaliatory consequences of same.

So yeah, you can miss me with the "history of lying about this kind of thing"

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases