• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kate Welch is WotC's New D&D Designer

WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

amVFPaW2_400x400.jpg

[video=youtube;fRsURJf4SjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRsURJf4SjQ[/video]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

gyor

Legend
The jobs don't have to be comparable. What's comparable is the fact that if you let Shelly go tomorrow nobody outside the company would know any better. That's how much of an impact on the business she would be. I get the feeling this person would be the same way.

I think those of us who listen to dragon talk would notice, and honestly I have no clue what impact she has on day to day operations at WotC to be honest, I don't remember seeing any D&D advertising campaigns to be honest.

Do you know in more detail what she does? Kind of curious.

As for Kate Welsh if she's being Iead designer on specific books, then yeah you'll notice the effect if she gets the book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The jobs don't have to be comparable. What's comparable is the fact that if you let Shelly go tomorrow nobody outside the company would know any better. That's how much of an impact on the business she would be. I get the feeling this person would be the same way.
On what basis do you claim the latter? I mean, she hasn't started work yet, so if she decided to decline the job, we wouldn't see a difference in the product line right now, but once she gets going, her impact is likely going to be noticable.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

hawkeyefan

Legend
Saying that there are enough white people or men at a company is equally sexist as way that their aren't enough blacks or woman working there.

Age, race, gender, religion, etc. should not be considered one way or another when hiring for any position not based on physical appearance (Harry Potter probably shouldn't be played by a ninety year old Asian women, for example, nor should Cho Chang be played by a three-month-old white, male baby). Anything less is discrimination.

If someone says that they’re worried about the hiring practices at a company being descriminatory toward white men, then I don’t think pointing toward the high number of white men that work there is at all discriminatory. It’s looking at the evidence for or against the concern.

We could discuss equal opportunity employment and affirmative action and employment demographics versus population demographics, but I don’t think we’d get anywhere....so I’ll just reiterate that as someone familiar with Kate, I’m excited for what she’ll bring.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think those of us who listen to dragon talk would notice, and honestly I have no clue what impact she has on day to day operations at WotC to be honest, I don't remember seeing any D&D advertising campaigns to be honest.

Do you know in more detail what she does? Kind of curious.

As for Kate Welsh if she's being Iead designer on specific books, then yeah you'll notice the effect if she gets the book.
She isn't on the D&D team anymore, actually. She still does the podcast, but works in Avalon Hill now: she appears to be partly responsible for "crossing the streams" and getting the "Betrayal in Baldurs Gate" board game made.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

G

Guest 6801328

This whole "women are taking jobs away from more qualified men" is such a load of horse#$%@. Yes, there are examples of diversity trumping qualifications, especially in government jobs where the diversity is mandated. But there are also (lots of) examples of white men getting jobs/promotions because they are...white men.

Basically if you're a white man and can't get a job it's because you suck. White men (of which I qualify, in spades) are just incredibly entitled, and any threat to that entitlement is interpreted as discrimination. It's hard to give up undeserved privilege. Lord knows I savor mine.

If someone says that they’re worried about the hiring practices at a company being descriminatory toward white men, then I don’t think pointing toward the high number of white men that work there is at all discriminatory. It’s looking at the evidence for or against the concern.

We could discuss equal opportunity employment and affirmative action and employment demographics versus population demographics, but I don’t think we’d get anywhere....so I’ll just reiterate that as someone familiar with Kate, I’m excited for what she’ll bring.

Which emphasizes one of the key issues with affirmative action; you can never know if a woman or minority actually got the job because s/he was the best candidate or because of some misguided attempt to minimize cosmic justice or social trends (or the possibility of true sexism). De-level the playing field and suddenly everyone starts pointing fingers at each other.

It doesn't even matter if Ms. Melch were hired because of a prevailing attitude in favor of affirmative action or not. The mere presence of the possibility is what is causing all the unrest seen on these forums. From what I've seen no one here is expressing actual sexist views. They're criticizing the policy, not the human.

gyor

Legend
This whole "women are taking jobs away from more qualified men" is such a load of horse#$%@. Yes, there are examples of diversity trumping qualifications, especially in government jobs where the diversity is mandated. But there are also (lots of) examples of white men getting jobs/promotions because they are...white men.

Basically if you're a white man and can't get a job it's because you suck. White men (of which I qualify, in spades) are just incredibly entitled, and any threat to that entitlement is interpreted as discrimination. It's hard to give up undeserved privilege. Lord knows I savor mine.

First off my job is not at risk being taken by a woman, ever, if one wants they can have it, they don't.

Secondly there are tons of white men in abject poverty, so HOW DARE YOU CALL THEM PRIVELEDGED BASED ON THE COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN AND GENDER, you feel priveledged so all white men MUST be priveledged, secondly there are men who have been told right to their face that they would never be able to climb any higher in their industry because they we're white and male and there for not what companies are looking for.

And you might enjoy yourself hating hate man schtick, but it's wearing thin on the rest of us.

Is the war vet with no legs priveledged? Is the homeless man on the streets priveldged, is the poor man living in a trailer his whole life who gets called white trash by guys like you priveledged, is the guy living in his car because his wife took everything privileged? It's easy to call other white guys priveledged, because you have absolutely no idea what millions of other white men are going through, because you never thought to ask, you sere told white men are priveledged, and YOU NEVER QUESTIONED IT, you thought to ask why are white male suicides increasing, why are men in general falling behind in education and millions struggling. You have neither sympathy or understanding for say Rust Belt workers who lost jobs thanks to automation and trade treaty designed for the rich, who struggle to keep their families fed and clothed, sacrificing daily, while watching their marriages suffer under the strain. There are white men who get sexually assaulted who call help lines only to be accused of being a rapist by the person on the other end. Are all the men who lost their jobs based on unproven #Metoo allegations that circumvent due process orividled. Are the fathers who are dying on the inside because they never get to see their children, which being squeezed for every red cent they make by ex wives priveledged?

Your ignorance is profound and utter.

And getting a job just because you white and male is just as wrong, I equally condemn such deplorable behavior. I believe and racial and gender equality, something my follow lefties used to believe in too before the curse of intersectional feminism.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
Which emphasizes one of the key issues with affirmative action; you can never know if a woman or minority actually got the job because s/he was the best candidate or because of some misguided attempt to minimize cosmic justice or social trends (or the possibility of true sexism). De-level the playing field and suddenly everyone starts pointing fingers at each other.

It doesn't even matter if Ms. Melch were hired because of a prevailing attitude in favor of affirmative action or not. The mere presence of the possibility is what is causing all the unrest seen on these forums. From what I've seen no one here is expressing actual sexist views. They're criticizing the policy, not the human.

Exactly I have no beef with Kate Welsh, none, I honestly wish her the best and I hope she is awesome. Hell I have a feeling she might be an improvement over whoever thought pages and pages of names in the back of XGTE was an actual good idea.

Basing hiring decisions on age, race, nationality, sex, religion, attractiveness etc. is a horrendous practice, which should be stamped out. Agreed. We only differ the methods of doing so.

If someone (legally qualified to work there) in the US cannot get a job, it's because they suck. Man, woman, bi sexual, Muslim, Buddhist, black, Latino, whatever. Doesn't matter. And if not, you can always drive snow mobiles in Antarctica. But calling a calling a white guy who grew up in a mining town trailer park more privileged than Malia Obama because of the color of their skin is total BS.

Yes, in some places skin color might mean something, but one parents' social-economic status means a h*** of a lot more.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Secondly there are tons of white men in abject poverty, so HOW DARE YOU CALL THEM PRIVELEDGED BASED ON THE COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN AND GENDER

You fundamentally misunderstand what "privilege" means in this context. It has absolutely nothing to do with an individual's circumstances or where they grew up. You need to understand what a word means before you start shouting at people for using it, and it doesn't mean what you think it means.

And also, calm down, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads