• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kate Welch is WotC's New D&D Designer

WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

amVFPaW2_400x400.jpg

[video=youtube;fRsURJf4SjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRsURJf4SjQ[/video]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

G

Guest 6801328

Secondly there are tons of white men in abject poverty, so HOW DARE YOU CALL THEM PRIVELEDGED BASED ON THE COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN AND GENDER,

Oh, please. Enough of the false outrage. For every white man living in abject poverty there are far more non-white men living in abject poverty. Why? Because even the least educated, stupidest, laziest white man has privilege over a non-white man or woman with the same profile.
EDIT: What Morrus said.

secondly there are men who have been told right to their face that they would never be able to climb any higher in their industry because they we're white and male and there for not what companies are looking for.

Sucks for them. And for each one of those rare examples there are orders of magnitude more examples of women/minorities suffering the same thing, although not being told as much to their face.

This whole "woe is me, poor white man" thing is just pathetic.

You fundamentally misunderstand what "privilege" means in this context. It has absolutely nothing to do with an individual's circumstances or where they grew up. You need to understand what a word means before you start shouting at people for using it, and it doesn't mean what you think it means.

And also, calm down, please.

Looked it up.

Privilege: "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group."

I could argue that the term does apply to individuals, but I won't. That would be too easy. Instead, please explain what special right, advantage, or immunity is only available to white males that does not take an individual's circumstances into account.

G

Guest 6801328

Are all the men who lost their jobs based on unproven #Metoo allegations that circumvent due process orividled.

Oh, yeah, no denying that has gotten completely out of control. And I'm sure you love being able to use that as evidence that white men are discriminated against in general. But that's about as logically sounds as pointing to the recent cold snap in the northeast (United States) and saying, "See? No global warming!" (Hmmm...some of our politicians did exactly that, didn't they?)

Your ignorance is profound and utter.

Dunning-Kruger.

gyor

Legend
You fundamentally misunderstand what "privilege" means in this context. It has absolutely nothing to do with an individual's circumstances or where they grew up. You need to understand what a word means before you start shouting at people for using it, and it doesn't mean what you think it means.

And also, calm down, please.

I apologize for getting so frustrated, and I'm familiar with what it's said to mean, like being less likely to get the snot beaten out of you by cops, and how it is used in practice and there is a really be difference.

Look I've made my points, I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall uselessly at this point, so I'll just congratulate Kate Welsh, wish her the best, hope she can get them to do a proper FRCG (or something similar) and bow out of this thread before I say something I regret.

Oh, please. Enough of the false outrage. For every white man living in abject poverty there are far more non-white men living in abject poverty. Why? Because even the least educated, stupidest, laziest white man has privilege over a non-white man or woman with the same profile.
EDIT: What Morrus said.

Sucks for them. And for each one of those rare examples there are orders of magnitude more examples of women/minorities suffering the same thing, although not being told as much to their face.

This whole "woe is me, poor white man" thing is just pathetic.

I think you're trying to put words in [MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION]'s mouth and interpret his argument in the worst way possible.

He is at least acknowledging you're debating in good (though misguided) faith. It might help to try and see your discussion partner's side from a perspective that doesn't axiomatically define his position as incorrect/evil.

G

Guest 6801328

Looked it up.

Privilege: "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group."

I could argue that the term does apply to individuals, but I won't. That would be too easy. Instead, please explain what special right, advantage, or immunity is only available to white males that does not take an individual's circumstances into account.

It's not codified, legal privilege. (Maybe that's what you've been misunderstanding?) It's that a white man, when compared to a woman or minority of otherwise identical appearance, background, etc., will in general be assumed to be more competent, smarter, less dangerous, more honest, harder-working, etc. Demonstrated repeatedly in countless studies.

That's their privilege. An undeserved assumption of superiority. It's measurable.

redrick

First Post
Bigotry and discrimination under the guise of polite discourse is still bigotry and discrimination.

Claiming to "have nothing wrong" with an individual, while simultaneously dismissing them based entirely on their gender is disgusting. I don't dismiss anybody for being a white man. I dismiss them for making misogynist statements, and I'm not going to pretend that "I have nothing wrong" with them.

Enjoying the benefit of decades of official, legal discrimination against women and people of color, not to mention unofficial discrimination that persists to this day, and then turning around and claiming foul the moment the game isn't specifically rigged in your benefit is pretty weak, and it's because of that attitude, among others, that we are still having to fight so hard to undo the longstanding discrimination in our world.

I know I'm not gonna change any minds with the above. I am heartened that, overall, this community seems to be one that cherishes diversity and equality and is interested in moving forward.

G

Guest 6801328

I think you're trying to put words in @gyor's mouth and interpret his argument in the worst way possible.

He is at least acknowledging you're debating in good (though misguided) faith. It might help to try and see your discussion partner's side from a perspective that doesn't axiomatically define his position as incorrect/evil.

Yes, it would appear that he had genuine, not false, outrage born of a misunderstanding of what privilege means in this context.

G

Guest 6801328

You know, I get enough of this sick feeling in my stomach reading the news these days. I'm not going to persuade anybody here, so I'm going to bow out. Peace.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This whole "women are taking jobs away from more qualified men" is such a load of horse#$%@. Yes, there are examples of diversity trumping qualifications, especially in government jobs where the diversity is mandated. But there are also (lots of) examples of white men getting jobs/promotions because they are...white men.

Basically if you're a white man and can't get a job it's because you suck. White men (of which I qualify, in spades) are just incredibly entitled, and any threat to that entitlement is interpreted as discrimination. It's hard to give up undeserved privilege. Lord knows I savor mine.

This is true. I'll also note that Affirmative action doesn't mean you give the job to a less skilled minority over a white person. It's if every other qualification is the same, you go with the candidate that brings your workforce to represent the demographic of your area. It doesn't mean hire all minorities. I've probably interviewed thousands of people and hired hundreds for a large corporation that has an Affirmative Action policy. Assumptions and accusations made in this thread are complete nonsense. And the level of entitlement going on in this thread is quite frankly, sickening, as I'll explain:

First off my job is not at risk being taken by a woman, ever, if one wants they can have it, they don't.

Secondly there are tons of white men in abject poverty, so HOW DARE YOU CALL THEM PRIVELEDGED BASED ON THE COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN AND GENDER, secondly there are men who have been told right to their face that they would never be able to climb any higher in their industry because they we're white and male and there for not what companies are looking for.

And you might enjoy yourself hating hate man schtick, but it's wearing thin on the rest of us.

And getting a job just because you white and male is just as wrong, I equally condemn such deplorable behavior. I believe and racial and gender equality.

You clearly have no idea what privilege is, if you think it's limited to just that. Just in this thread, the very act of questioning the hire based on her sex (or someone being a minority) when no one does that for white men IS privilege.

Secondly, just because white men are in poverty does not mean white men don't gain the benefits of privilage. I've actually given presentations in corporate meets about what privilege, so I know what I'm talking about. But i don't blame you, because I had no idea just how much privilege I had as a white man in this country until I lived overseas where I was one of the only white people around. Then it really hit home.

Thirdly, you think it's outrageous that someone would dare tell a man they couldn't rise higher because it's so rare of that happening so it stands out (give me a couple examples, by the way). But that happens every day to minorities. To put it in D&D terms, you sound like those 4e fans who complained they were being treated unfairly and forsaken by WoTC when 5e came out, and fans of every edition prior just rolled their eyes because they all had been through it themselves when their edition got shelved.

Fourthly, privilege is a lot of things, including but not limited to:

*you are assured that when you find a gaming group, there will be several people part of that group like you (same gender and ethnicity)
* every time you turn on the TV, or open a newspaper, you are assured someone like you is on the front cover or plays the major role in the show
* minorities convicted of the same offenses (from traffic tickets to murder) as a white person suffer much harsher penalties than white people do. This is a a fact.
* you are assured that you can enter pretty much any town in America and find a church of your faith (for those who are religious)
* You have never done something right and immediately had someone say you're a credit to your race/gender
* no one questions a promotion you may have gotten
* you've never had people stare at you or follow you around because they think you're gonna steal something
* you've never had people cross the street just to avoid you on a daily basis
* you're probably able to walk down a busy street without people harassing you on a daily basis

The list goes on and on. Just open your eyes. If you want a huge example of white privilege, it's why Obama had to be perfect or people lost their minds in outrage (one of his biggest scandals was saluting with a coffee cup for Christ's sake), but Trump, as a white man, has been able to do all of these outrageous things and yet the same people who lambasted Obama are all "eh, no big deal, nothing to see here." That's not just a republican vs democrat thing, that's a black vs white thing. Every woman and every minority who has had to work harder because of their race or gender knows exactly what I'm talking about because they do it every day.

Look man, I grew up poor white trash in poverty. But you know what? All it takes is for me to have one nice set of clothes and carry myself professionally and no one knew my background and I got to enjoy all the great benefits of being a white guy. Women and minorities don't have to ability to put on a suit and have people forget they are a woman or a minority. And if you think widespread discrimination doesn't exist to this day, you must be living under a rock.

Ugh. This entitlement literally makes me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads