• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ki Magician PrC, need input

A friend put together a custom PrC for a ninja that I am running in a DnD 3.5 homebrew campaign. The basic idea started with using the ki feats as spells and progressed to a 10 level class. I'd love opinions, suggestions, etc. Do you think it is strong, weak, just right?

Thanks in advance.

Ki Magician

Prereqs: Ki Power, Sudden Strike +3d6 or Ki Strike (Magic)
Feats: Expanded Ki Pool
Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Knowledge Arcana 1 rank

poor base attack, good will save,

4+int skill ranks/level
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Knowledge,
Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device

1st- Ki Power, Ki Familiar, Bonus Feat
2nd- Power Meditation
3rd- Ki Sudden Strike +1d6, Bonus Feat
4th- Ghost Step (ethereal)
5th- Bonus Feat
6th- Ghost Mind
7th- Ki Sudden Strike +2d6, Bonus Feat
8th- Ghost Walk
9th- Bonus Feat
10th- Clarity of Action

Ki Power: +1 ki use/level
Bonus Feats: ki related only
Power Meditation: Meditate 1 hour, DC 20 concentration check to regain (1/2 Ki Magician lvl) uses of ki. DC goes up
by +5 for every use of Power Mediation in last 24 hours.
Ki Sudden Strike: expend 1 ki use as a swift action to add +1d6 damage to a sudden strike. at 7th level you can
spend 2 ki uses to add +2d6.
Clarity of Action: expend one ki use as an immediate action to make a concentration check in place of any skill
check, attack roll, or saving throw.

Ki Familiar:
1st: Alertness, Improved Evasion, Share Ki, Empathic Link
3rd: Sudden Strike
5th: Telepathic Link
7th: Scry
9th: Distance Ki Sharing

-----
As an alternate progression, he suggested

2nd- ghost strike
4th- ghost step (ethereal)
6th- power meditation
8th- ghost mind
it's a slightly less powerful progression, and acutally if we made the familiar sudden strike (still borrowing your full sudden strike bonus) cost a ki use to activate he could see upping my skill points to 6+int/lvl with that progression. This would give me Ghost Strike, which I need for some of the ki feats.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my char has a pseudodragon that would be her familiar (she is the pdragon's pet, I think). Ki feats would be the ones found at crystalkeep.com plus

NEW FEATS:

Improved Ki Familiar: (requires; Ki Familiar) gain more powerful creature as ki familiar

Eyes of the Ghost: (requires; Ghost Mind) always see ethereal.

Skillful Ki: (requires: Ki Power) expend 1 ki use as a swift action to gain +(wis modifier) to any one skill roll.

Ki Flurry: (requires: Ghost Strike) expend 1 ki use as a swift action to gain additional attack at full base attack bonus (full attack only).

Distance Strike: (requires: Ghost Strike or Ki Strike (magic)) expend 1 ki use to extend reach by 5ft for one attack.

Meditative Focus: (requires: Concentration 8 ranks, ki power) gain +(remaining ki uses/day) to concentration checks.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads