Killing your best friend for treasure

Numion

First Post
Iron_Chef said:
The really (unintentionally) funny part about that was when the NPC said "You shot me! Have you lost your mind?" and the PC 'hero' replied: "Don't worry about it; they're poisoned! They'll just make you go to sleep for a little while..." LOL :p

Thats just great! LOL! :D

Tsyr

Explorer
Telperion said:
Hm...I remember this one NPC who was like the walking library, as far as the world around the PC's went. The party listened to him for a moment, took him to their room in an inn and cut him to pieces. Just like that. They thought him a spy or some such, although I don't quite remember anymore. The point is that this NPC wouldn't have posed no threat what-so-ever to the party, and could have been a major asset. It's just that the DM didn't get the message trough before the party slaughtered him.

NPC's are dime a'dozen, if you don't bother with proper introductions, skillful portrayel and loads of character. In other words to make an NPC memorable and important enough to keep around the DM had better do his background work and NPC creation well. The best of ideas go down the tube when a party of suspicious / greedy PC's get their hands on an NPC.

Actually...

When I used to play under this one specific DM, our entire group was in the habbit of dragging any NPCs that joined our group up to an Inn room and killing them, then burnin the bodies.

All said NPCs were virtual founts of knowledge. Or well known by all. Or crack shots with a bow.

Basicly we hated our DM NPCs, who were always 'better' than us somehow, and our DM wanted us to use them as a crutch (and a hammer to help drive railroad spikes).

Yes, we started off as mostly NG with one LG. Yes, we ended up as CE.

It was still worth it.

Even the Paladin agreed.

We finally got the message through to the DM after the first dozen or so NPCs died that way.

Thresher

First Post
Tsyr said:
Actually...
Basicly we hated our DM NPCs, who were always 'better' than us somehow, and our DM wanted us to use them as a crutch (and a hammer to help drive railroad spikes).

Actually it reminds me of a game many years ago where this one GM just loved his Knight Errant sourcebook for Shadowrun and made a point of having each and every one of these a-holes being a combination of SAS mixed in with the prophet of Delphi and it got pretty fuggen annoying.
So he railroads us 'runners into being rent-a-cops to the rental cops which is somewhere on the food chain slightly above plankton and it was this one time where our rigger got ahold of one of their mysterious 'black boxes'. That did everything from being a radio to one of the motion sensors out of aliens.
So he cracks it open in the back of our citymaster and finds out its a hollow black box.

This got us cranky.
Real cranky, so we roll up with the citymaster to work (which defeats the purpose of being a shadowrunner in the first place) and pull into the motorpool. Set some charges around the fuel tanks there and start killing KE like grass under a mower.
Despite his best efforts we lived and scarpered back into the shadows and left him in a distressed state semi-bawling in his sourcebook wondering what to do next.
Well he couldnt do anything really because they where all DEAD!

He didnt run after that and we where very thankfull because of it.

Crothian

First Post
After you kill a DM's favorite NPC make sure you demand the XP for him as well. DM's love that.

I've never been involved in anything remotely close to that. Sure, we've killed NPCs, but for a little better reasons then being selfish and ignoring past histories. Sure, I've seenn favorite NPCs of DMs, but that's the type of thing that gets solved out of game because doing it in game is meta gaming and we frown on that.

Ace

Adventurer
UGH!

I have a tendenacy to come down hard on characters who do that sort of thing

If I like the RP enough I send the "Law" after them where appropriate otherwise I just say this

Your character is now Chaotic Evil (or Neutral Evil if appropriate) I don't allow Evil PC's other than Lawful Evil. Since it was your own free will, well you are an NPC now. Roll up a new character

Hard -- but I let people know this in advance

No Sociopaths

Remove ads