Knights of the Daystorm

Jeremy

Explorer
Speed Demons

"Shhhhh.. You hear that?" Tylette asked. One of the things that her meditations and far reaching senses had brought to her was a superhuman sense of hearing. Faintly in the distance she could hear scrapings, and the clanking of heavy chains, hard impacts and shiftings of stone. "What is that?" She asked.

Frederick shrugged, but being invisible the effect was lost. Over the mindlink he said, "Back up, this might get messy." Concentrating on the staff Frederick began turning the now granite-filled cavern in maleable mud. When he was finished he began concentrating on the softened earth through the staff. I washed away from him in waves and Tylette mentioned she thought she heard screams.

When the way before them was finally reopened they saw much of the excavation gear that had originally been being used to keep the collapsing entrance of Terraj's Breath open. Well, they saw some of it anyways. Most of it was buried in mud with the odd booted or clawed foot sticking out here and there. But Collin and company did not stop to investigate, in a blast of wind from the chimes, their air walking, invisible forms were blown past the confused scene and up the massive central column of Terraj's Breath.

All the way up they saw giaks and gourgaz lazing about, whereas before the cavern had rung with the sounds of metal upon metal and wood and muck, now only the gutteral grunts of the giaks filled the air. They sat about on now stone steps encircling the massive hollow column, they sat in mined caves dug straight into the walls of the earth, they sat on mining gear, scaffoldings, and supports. They sat confused and inactive.

The huge gust of wind out of Terraj's Breath didn't seem to help their confusion as many jumped up terrified and looking around. But still, Collin's Illusion protected them from sight and they exited the huge cylinder without event. When they navigated the last few twists and turns and emerged stunned into daylight it took them awhile to accustom themselves to the surface world once more.

When they finally could see, the images their eyes showed them brought them joy, triumph, startlement, confusion, and laughter.

Instead of emerging from a massive collapsing wound in the mud and muck, they had stepped out into the air aside a mighty mountain of titanic proportions. The immensity of it was astounding but the sounds of battle quickly drew all attention.

Far below the party, all up and down the slopes of the mountain were scattered giaks and gourgaz fighting with huge massive worms of immense size that burrowed through the earth and errupted in fountains of stone and dirt around the giaks' feet. Additionally there were several scorched craters where the charred remains of other giaks lay scattered in pieces. These were quite distant from the worm battles, much further up the mountain but they apparently had the same effect. Many dead giaks.

Freed from the confines of the earth and out in the open air with no twists or turns or ceilings or rock formations or even kraan riders, strangely enough, Collin let loose with the Wind Key and blasted them through air so fast it began to hurt. In almost no time at all the party stepped down from the air onto the deck of their tropical island and stood about staring at each other stunned as the the invisibility faded.

Still young and wide-eyed at the world it still amazed them what they were capable of sometimes. Out of Terraj's Breath from its deepest bowels in a little over an hour.

Then they rocketed through the water to arrive back in New Galdomond in less than ten minutes.

Last edited:

Velenne

Explorer
*That insufferable Collin "I'm-being-clever" grin.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

Now all you have left is where we leave Terraj's Breath, go to New Galdomond, go to Crecent Lake, go to Galearon, go back to Crecent Lake again, and finally go back to Galearon again and you'll be caught up for tomorrow game. Good luck! I can't wait to read it!

Jeremy

Explorer
That's easy.

Triumphant PC's, Embarassed PC's, Conniving PC's, Convincing PC's, Encumbered PC's, Miniature PC's, Teleporting PC's, Speed Boat PC's, Pleasure Cruise PC's, Nosey PC's, Heroic PC's, Crazy PC's, TOTALLY INSANE-LOST-IT-LOO-LOO PC's, Bleeding Heart PC's, and hopefully tomorrow afternoon, just plain Bleeding PC's.

That about sum it up? I already updated once today, what d'ya want from me? :)

Jeremy

Explorer
Back in town Collin went for supplies while Frederick checked out the inn. Sure enough, Durchek was sitting there bland and bored as ever.

"Where be everyone else?"

"Huh? Oh, Collin is getting supplies and Tylette is resting. We haven't figured out how to rescue Zerin yet." Frederick supplied.

"Nah. Where be Lilly, Lisara, and the rest? They went ta rescue ya. They was waiting out back b'hind the Mountain with th' scroll ta fix yer mess."

Frederick managed a remarkably bland expression. "Oh them? I'm not sure. Hang on a minute."

About 25 minutes later having regrouped, slapped foreheads, "sailed" back to the cape south of Terraj's Breath, invisibly circumvented it, and looking up the backside of the Mountain Frederick said to Tylette and Collin, "Just one second."

He sent a helping hand up the mountain to guide the other group to them.

As Imver, Valhallet, Lisara, and Lilly got to them the hand winked out of existance and Frederick smiled at them. Lilly bounded up to Collin and flourished two wound up scrolls which she handed over. "Took you guys long enough. Have any difficulty getting out?"

The group collectively mumbled in negative and Lilly nodded and hopped back over to where Lisara and the warriors were already linking hands. "Actually, I can probably take care of this faster on my own. Lilly, can you take Tylette and Frederick with you as well?"

"Are you sure Collin, that could be extremely dangerous," Tylette warned. But Collin just waved her off and grinned with a flourish of his acid shredded clothes.

"I am a powerful sorcerer," he winked, "I'll be fine. You guys head back. Frederick, can I borrow the chimes and bother you for an air walk?"

Collin winked out of site and zipped off in a rush of wind as Frederick and Tylette teleported directly back into the inn in New Galdomond. Durcheck looked up, then went back to drumming his thick fingers.

Meanwhile, Collin shot through Terraj's Breath invisibly though heralded by great gusts of wind. In any other place that might be considerably out of the ordinary, but deep in the now once more sighing depths of the mountain, it was just another gust for which the mountain was named.

Activity was light and he found Zerin still lying where he had fallen, though supported by a soft bed of thick green grass. The Earth Anchor's chamber felt so alive and clashed terribly with the still form of Zerin. Bending over him and unfurling the scrolls Collin shrunk Zerin to 1/12th of his size and slipped him into his bag before taking one last look around.

Then he read the second scroll and teleported directly back to the Sara Ardon. He summoned an earth ape to winch up the anchor as he headed below decks and set the Water Key in the place he had made for it.

The Sara Ardon lifted gently from the water and streaked off to the east.

Around half an hour later Collin rode into town on a summoned horse and finally began to marvel at the restoration they had accomplished.

Green fields and trees gave New Galdomond a peaceful feel. The cool air of the month of Chillwind still blew, but the land that had laid rotten now burst forth with so much life as to appear in springtime. Collin smiled so wide his chapped lips cracked and he dismounted and walked the rest of the way towards the inn.

The fearful cry from inside one of the shops he passed completely spoiled his mood.

"Guards!! Help me!"

Velenne

Explorer
"Oh great!? What now, more vampires? Can't they take a hint?! Or is it Giants now? For crying out loud can I get one peaceful day without having to kill something?"

Jeremy

Explorer
Pouring out of the inn comes Phillip Tearlin (one of the last remaining guardsman) as well as Frederick and his band of would-be swordsman. They charge into the shop to find the shopkeep with both hands high above his head in plain sight standing fearfully before--

Tylette.

Everyone stops and stares for a moment and Tylette calmly walks out, "I was just trying to get a fair deal."

Collin, standing outside sees Tylette come out and walk to the inn. Scratching his head he follows, undecided as to whether he wants to know what happened or not.

Back inside the shop stands Frederick and company as he's still trying to figure out what happened. "What happened here?"

The shopkeep, still shaking somewhat after being held up at spell-point stammers out, "I think she tried to mind control me.. I offered her the same price I offered Collin Allysar.. 1000 gp discount seeing as you've done so much for me.. Next thing I know I'm hearing bells in my head and I feel my will draining away. I don't think I was supposed to have resisted..."

Frederick finds himself in a familiar situation; morally and spiritually torn between two seemingly impossible options. He turns to Phillip, who although is not as powerful as Frederick, is still the ranking official law in town with the Sheriff dead. "You know what I have to do."

Phillip shrugs, "Go ahead, clap her in irons. Don't expect me to back you up though. This is bad, but throwing one of the saviors of the town in prison after what we've been through, that's just suicide."

Frederick thought he was torn before.

Back in the inn Collin speaks to Tylette and ascertains what happened. To her mind the fact that she could not get full market value for her used items was preposterous, especially when she was simply exchanging them for goods and not gold. Collin sighs exasperated as he puts the rest of it together for himself. He stands and walks out.

He steps past Phillip and Frederick who are now standing outside the shop saying nothing. Frederick with guilt, pain, indecision in his dilemma written all over his face; Phillip with a simpler resigned look. Not saying a word to either he walks into the shop and offers an apologetic smile to the shopkeep who is in the process of tacking up something on the wall.

Collin apologizes eloquently and offers 200 gold pieces in reparations. He is so persuasive that the shopkeep nods though he does mention that he requests she refrain from entering his store further. As he steps away from his flyer it is a magical sketch of Tylette, complete with charges of Attempted Robbery and Magickal Assault on Lawful Persons.

Collin wants to hang his head but instead he agrees graciously to the terms, bows, and leaves. But he can see the familiar look on Frederick's face outside and as he approaches, he steels himself for a more difficult encounter.

Collin assures Frederick that all is made well and everything is taken care of and asks him to come to the inn.

Frederick is silent but he does follow. Once inside the inn, things are no better as Tylette sits totally unruffled and even slightly smug, Collin sits exasperated, and Frederick sits with a tortured look on his face.

The situation does not improve when townsfolk begin to peer through a window and point and whisper.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
"Well so much for a little rest," mutters Collin irritably.

"I was just trying to--" the rest of the party tunes out the rest of Tylette's by now familiar reasoning. Frederick twists in his seat uncomfortably at every mention. The whispers and pointing he feels are directed solely at him.

Tylette changed the subject. "Well in any case, where do we take Zerin? I don't know anyone capable of the spell we need. Can Argus do it, Frederick?"

Frederick shrugged. "I don't believe so," he said with a sigh, "He's powerful, but I don't believe he's that powerful. And I have yet to pay him back for the sendings he performed for us."

"Well if he can't, perhaps the Circle of Oaks can," Collin offered. He looked around and received grim nods. Everyone remembered the price they paid the last time they stepped into the mists. "We don't have much choice."

"Yer mind if I come too? I'd like ta see this here Circle of yers." Clanking footsteps accompanied the monotone voice from behind them.

Frederick turned around, astounded that Durcheck could show interest in anything at all. He nodded, dumbfounded. Collin grinned figuring his unabounded curiosity was rubbing off on the desensitized dwarf.

"We should get going. I'll summon mounts for us. Come on."

The party boarded the Sara Ardon and carefully navigated the still dangerous harbor* before rocketing to the south and blasting away to the east.

Durcheck was unimpressed.

Frederick steeled himself and went to go have a talk with Tylette. He had two spells prepared and he meant to use both. Five minutes later a further conflicted Frederick left Tylette having only cast one of the two spells. He went back to his room and sat confused for the other 100-odd minutes it took to get to the other side of the known world.

The party air walked over the raucous jungle surrounding the lake which gave Crescent Lake it's name, it never seemed to die down. Indeed, it appeared to have grown worse. Frederick thought he saw something on the horizon but the party was busy.

As the way to the Circle would only come with the morning mists, the party split up to rest and relax in the inn while Frederick and Collin went to take care of personal business. Frederick payed Argus in full and chatted with him a little about the area. Frederick's eyes went wide when he heard accounts of gorgons mixing it up with the trolls, minotaurs, hydra, huge centipedes, huge scorpions, and giants in the rowdy jungles but Argus smiled and told him that they would survive. They always had, for longer than they could remember.

Collin went to visit Atilly but was met with a familiar note.

Out investigating. Be back later. -- A

He muttered and went back to the inn to study his own books and work over his notes some more.

* When New Galdomond was initially attacked, there were 7 ships in harbor that were scuttled by the powerful undead lieutenant. To a ship without the precise control of the Sara Ardon or a very shallow keel, the harbor is impossible to navigate because of all the debris and ships on the bottom of the harbor.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
I put up a couple character sheets for PC's in my webspace. So far I've got a first draft of Collin (he hasn't double checked it) and a sheet up for Frederick.

I'll post Zerin's and Tylette's when I get them..

Here's the link: Character Sheets

Special thanks to PC Gen and all involved for the format.

Jeremy

Explorer
Short update to keep things rolling. Maybe more later..

In the morning Durchek stood alongside Zerin's corpse on the small cultivated green looking out into the rising mists on the lake. The mists rose and swallowed the two whole.

[Note: I'd like to tell you what happened here, but the players read this and this is personal to one of them, the Circle of Oaks has a personal challenge for all who seek them. So I'll leave it to him to reveal if he wants.]

Zerin found himself standing, alive, on a small rocky shoal surrounded by ocean as far as he could see in every direction. At least, it seemed like ocean by the way it crashed upon the jagged black rocks he stood upon. But the water was foul, black, and turgid. It was corrupted, thick, and putrid. He stood surrounded by thirteen stone statues of men and merfolk that besides being barnacle encrusted and smoothed by the sea, were also now rotting and cracked. Chunks of stone fell off them as voices began to issue united from them.

"You know what you have to do Dragon Slave. Go now, we can hold open the bridge between our realms no longer. Go. Quickly."

Zerin looked around confused at the ocean surrounding him as Durchek appeared next to him. Zerin looked to Durcheck confused as Durchek shrugged and walked right off the southern tip of the rock onto the water. Zerin had just enough time to blink before he too ran out onto the water. Their belief held them up as they ran and the mists rose once more and swallowed them.

When the mists cleared and Zerin found himself standing on the small green in Crescent Lake he became even more confused.

Durchek looked thoroughly unimpressed.

Collin and Frederick smiled broadly at Zerin's return and welcomed him back. Tylette as well hailed him, though he flinched at her prescence. Zerin made a noticeable effort to be personable, but at the moment he needed time to think.

Remove ads