D&D 5E [Kobold Press] Vault of Magic is Live!!!

Marc Radle

Legend
Glad everyone is digging the book!!

I've always felt pretty strongly that the art should be done well enough that it's obvious what it's illustrating. If the art can't stand on its own, and you have to label in order to know what it is, especially if it's near the item's description ... then there's a problem with the art :)

Marc Radle

Legend
Mine came yesterday too. It is very nice I agree, though I only browsed it. My only criticism at first pass is that the illustrations dont have reference to which items they are, but its easy enough to figure out by glancing the entries, just a little more time consuming.

I've always felt pretty strongly that the art should be done well enough that it's obvious what it's illustrating. If the art can't stand on its own, and you have to label in order to know what it is, especially if it's near the item's description ... then there's a problem with the art :)

R_J_K75

Legend

Thats fair enough and the art is great. These are types of books I use as reference more than reading straight trough cover to cover so labels on the art would just make it easier for me. Just my personal preference and obviously you cant cater to everyone.

R_J_K75

Legend
By the way, I don't mean to bag on WotC. I love the official products. I just meant that Vault of Magic is really good.
The 2E AD&D (4) volume Encyclopedia of Magica by TSR was really good too. Some of the entries were extremely in depth, I still use it. I suppose Im not comparing apples to apples though.

Just got my copy and I cannot wait to hand out some of the magic items to the PCs. As expected, they are both flavorful and mechanically interesting (and I'm not just talking about the Butter of Disbelief...).

Remove ads