Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Choosing to inflict non-lethal damage, and using Coup De Grace, it would simply be:

Automatic hit / automatic crit (4d6+16)
Save vs. Fort vs. K.O.: DC = 10+Damage dealt (Avg. dam: 30 pts.)
[Avg. DC = DC 40]

Correct?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mani has already proved that he is not helpless even though he is shackled and tied. Right now he has a -4 to Dexterity, so Tim hitting him with a normal attack using nonlethal damage won't be hard. However, he could use psionics to defend himself when it is his turn.

Right now, Mani can only move 5 feet as part of a normal move action. He can double move up to 10 feet and I think we agreed that he is tethered to Tim by 10 feet of rope that is tied around his torso.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Well, what I meant by helpless was the game definition, which I believe he satisfies. (He is bound.)

Helpless​

A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (-5 modifier). Melee attacks against a helpless target get a +4 bonus (equivalent to attacking a prone target). Ranged attacks gets no special bonus against helpless targets. Rogues can sneak attack helpless targets.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
By the way, not trying to rules lawyer you, just wanted to make my proposal clear. Being able to defend yourself psionically is different than being able to move physically out of the way of a blow. I will of course abide by your ruling, in any case. 🙂

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
FYI, if Mani was to try to escape both sets of manacles (around his wrists and ankles), he'd have to make two separate Open Lock checks or Escape Artist checks. (I'm not as sure about the Escape Artist checks.) Regardless, he would have to make a separate Escape Artist check for the ropes binding his arms to his torso and binding his legs at the knees.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
By the way, not trying to rules lawyer you, just wanted to make my proposal clear. Being able to defend yourself psionically is different than being able to move physically out of the way of a blow. I will of course abide by your ruling, in any case. 🙂
I did look at the rules for being Helpless after you posted your intention to Coup de Grace, but if he was truly helpless, he wouldn't have been able to oppose the grapple (which didn't actually occur) by the Rising Swords mercenary, and I had already decided he could have opposed that grapple.

I got the -4 to Dexterity from another rule. I have to figure out where that came from and make sure I'm interpreting it right.

What I might do is let you make the Coup De Grace attempt and let Mani make a physical AoO (not psionics). I'll figure it out.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Of course, that assumes one of the other PCs (or NPCs) doesn't decide to cut Mani's head off before Tim's action finishes on his turn. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here's a link to the post where Akos originally tied up Mani. There is no mention (that I can find) of chains/manacles until later on once the PCs go to get Mani from the guards. (Link)

So, that makes me think that the ropes around him are the initial ropes that Akos tied around him and the manacles were placed on him by the Regulars at the Red Arch guard post. So the manacles and chains are not under any ropes tied around Mani's torso and knees. The two sets of manacles are not masterwork but they are attached to each other by a chain.

@Neurotic, can you roll a Use Rope check for Akos initial tying up of Mani. (I can roll it for you if you prefer.)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ah, now I remember the rule I used... Entangled. So, instead of him only being able to move 5 feet per round it really should be half speed (which is 15 feet) but he is tethered with a rope to Tim so he can only move 10 feet away from the half-ogre knight. (He could try an opposed Strength check but he'd never win against Tim.)

The key thing is Mani's attack rolls are at a -2 penalty in addition to the -4 penalty to Dexterity. And it's why he has to make a Concentration check every time he tries to manifest a power.

Entangled​

The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases