D&D 5E L&L: New Packet Hits This Wednesday

galinskas

First Post
Thanks! It's 9am here in Brazil, and I've already read the Wizards' feeds for today, and they usually let them all out together. But I think the package isn't like an ordinary pre-scheduled article, so let's wait.
I'm curious because I run playtests almost every saturday (reports at arxfuria.com.br, for portuguese readers).

avin

First Post
Thanks! It's 9am here in Brazil, and I've already read the Wizards' feeds for today, and they usually let them all out together. But I think the package isn't like an ordinary pre-scheduled article, so let's wait.
I'm curious because I run playtests almost every saturday (reports at arxfuria.com.br, for portuguese readers).

What's "Brazil"? We use "Brasil" here :p

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
The experience at my table was a bit different. For those with the cleric/rogue progression is was very similar to what you said. But since AC didn't keep up with full BAB, the first hit usually needed a 2 or better, it wasn't until the third attack that it was less then even odds of hitting.
This varied dramatically between tables. This had a lot to do with the fact that at some tables you'd have fighters with 14 strength who took all roleplaying feats and their DM gave out almost no magic items. At other tables you'd have Strength 36 fighters with every magic item they could get a hold up.

Then you'd have the variation between enemies. One CR 16 monster might have an AC of 12 while another one would have 40(especially when your DM started applying templates and classes).

In some games, you'd be able to realistically hit with your 3rd iterative attack almost all the time. In others, the 2nd attack was all but impossible to hit with.

With the math being a little bit more under control in D&D Next, having multiple attacks with the same bonus seems the safest way to go. Though, I don't like the effect of adding extra attacks. It takes longer to complete turns and it essentially doubles your damage when you get an extra attack causing the damage curve to go up abruptly.

Even if you can only apply Expertise Dice every so often, it's still a doubling of your non-expertise dice turns.

FireLance

Legend
Still thinking that, despite of DDN, Wizards should support former editions with compendiuns, monster and character builders...
That's one sure-fire way to keep me as a paying customer, regardless of whether I decide to switch to 5e or not. However, the math will still need to work out on the WotC end, and I have no way of knowing what they expect the costs and benefits to be under the various scenarios. We will just have to wait and see.

Sigh. Still no package. I leave for work in 20 which means waiting until the end of the workday again since the WotC site is blocked at my work.

Darn. I was hoping to read it during my breaks and over lunch.

fjw70

Adventurer
Too bad the packet hasn't come out yet. I have been sitting in an auto repair shop all morning and would have had a lot of time to read it, but of well it will be out soon (by soon I mean today).

Bow_Seat

First Post
I've been trying to study for an exam that I have tomorrow, but I keep checking my email every five minutes to see whether or not the packet is out. I'm blaming WotC for whatever grade I get :p

Remove ads