D&D (2024) Lawful, Chaotic, and Neutral touched species.

Do you want a Lawful, Chaotic, and/or Neutral touched species.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted No on all three, because I'm opposed to alignment being fused to Ancestry. Tieflings and Aasimar don't have a "typical" alignment in my game, for example. Nobody does.

I'm marginally interested in alignment being fused to Background. I can maaaaaybe see how having a Soldier background might make someone inclined toward Law, or how someone with the Healer background might lean toward Good. If I squint and hold my mouth just right.

But nah, to me Alignment is a personality trait, not DNA.

Why would it need to be replaced by anything? Lots of other games don't have alignments.
You're right, a lot of other games don't have an official alignment system for the players to follow. But just because they don't have an alignment system, the player characters are still following some kind of moral/ethical code of their own making.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I voted No on all three, because I'm opposed to alignment being fused to Ancestry. Tieflings and Aasimar don't have a "typical" alignment in my game, for example. Nobody does.

I'm marginally interested in alignment being fused to Background. I can maaaaaybe see how having a Soldier background might make someone inclined toward Law, or how someone with the Healer background might lean toward Good. If I squint and hold my mouth just right.

But nah, to me Alignment is a personality trait, not DNA.
The suggestion was to the Lawful and Chaotic variants of the Tiefling who is powered by evil or lower forces and the Aasimar who can tap into good or upper forces.

Creatures with the power of Mechnuns, Arcardia, or Archeron OR Limbo, Ysgard, or Pandemonium or descendants of beings of Law or CHAOS!1!!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The suggestion was to the Lawful and Chaotic variants of the Tiefling who is powered by evil or lower forces and the Aasimar who can tap into good or upper forces.

Creatures with the power of Mechnuns, Arcardia, or Archeron OR Limbo, Ysgard, or Pandemonium or descendants of beings of Law or CHAOS!1!!
Sorry, I shouldn't have been vague. I understand the premise; I just don't use it. In my campaign, there are no specific races that are "powered by evil," and all races can "tap into good or upper forces" if they wish. I don't have a Mechanus or Arcadia or Acheron, and Ysgard is the realm of heroes of all alignment. (shrug) Alignment has been decoupled from race completely in my campaign.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sorry, I shouldn't have been vague. I understand the premise; I just don't use it. In my campaign, there are no specific races that are "powered by evil," and all races can "tap into good or upper forces" if they wish. I don't have a Mechanus or Arcadia or Acheron, and Ysgard is the realm of heroes of all alignment. (shrug) Alignment has been decoupled from race completely in my campaign.
So your campaign lacks Tieflings and Aasimar?
If it does have them, where do their powers come from?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So your campaign lacks Tieflings and Aasimar?
If it does have them, where do their powers come from?
I see the disconnect. I'll try to explain, but bear in mind: I'm not trying to change anyone's minds here. This is what I do in my games, and not everyone is going to like it.

Aasimar and Tieflings exist in my campaign. They are mortals who have been blessed by whatever entity, deity, or otherworldly force the player chose when they created their character. The details of how they got that blessing are also up to the player to decide. I've seen Tieflings who get their powers from the bloodlines of demons, sure... but also from the Elemental Plane of Air (their mother was struck by lightning while pregnant), from angels (twice actually... one tiefling got her powers from the Angel of Death, and another was the mortal embodiment of the wrath of God), and from an archfey. They all chose an alignment, sure, but none of them were "keyed" to favor, represent, or draw power from that alignment. Alignment is just another element of their personality, like their Trait, Ideal, Bond and Flaw.

I hope that helps explain my way of doing things.

EDIT: I should mention, I use the "Custom Origin" rules from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
You're right, a lot of other games don't have an official alignment system for the players to follow. But just because they don't have an alignment system, the player characters are still following some kind of moral/ethical code of their own making.
Omg you mean people are allowed to roleplay their characters how they want without the game defining morality for them! Thats total anarchy - chaos!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Omg you mean people are allowed to roleplay their characters how they want without the game defining morality for them! Thats total anarchy - chaos!
Climb that ladder!
something little finger GIF

Remove ads