D&D (2024) Lawful, Chaotic, and Neutral touched species.

Do you want a Lawful, Chaotic, and/or Neutral touched species.

Scribe

Legend
Omg you mean people are allowed to roleplay their characters how they want without the game defining morality for them! Thats total anarchy - chaos!

"Listen, whats mine is mine, whats yours is mine, and anyone that disagrees gets a knife in the guts, whats good is good for me, ya hear?" - Sl'ip Gutz, the Good Rogue.

Right? Because who's to define morality but the players themselves? lol

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
"Listen, whats mine is mine, whats yours is mine, and anyone that disagrees gets a knife in the guts, whats good is good for me, ya hear?" - Sl'ip Gutz, the Good Rogue.

Right? Because who's to define morality but the players themselves? lol

Yeah? Afterall this is DnD! we’ve already established that breaking into old buildings, killing the inhabitants and taking their stuff is okay as long as we’re the heroes

Scribe

Legend
Yeah? Afterall this is DnD! we’ve already established that breaking into old buildings, killing the inhabitants and taking their stuff is okay as long as we’re the heroes

Have we? :D

Because no, I dont think walking through a peaceful town and killing the inhabitants to loot their stuff is OK. Context matters I suppose in these things but those are trivial details in such a scenario I'm sure.

And why would we need to replace it with anything? curioser and curioser
Well we could replace it with something similar to what Pathfinder 2nd edition is doing. Instead of alignments, they're using Edicts and Anathemas (which atm sounds like the name of a new RPG than actual replacement for alignment) for Pathfinder Remaster 😋

Besides Alignment has been a part of D&D since it's inception 50 years ago, it would be naked without it. 😋

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I see the disconnect. I'll try to explain, but bear in mind: I'm not trying to change anyone's minds here. This is what I do in my games, and not everyone is going to like it.

Aasimar and Tieflings exist in my campaign. They are mortals who have been blessed by whatever entity, deity, or otherworldly force the player chose when they created their character. The details of how they got that blessing are also up to the player to decide. I've seen Tieflings who get their powers from the bloodlines of demons, sure... but also from the Elemental Plane of Air (their mother was struck by lightning while pregnant), from angels (twice actually... one tiefling got her powers from the Angel of Death, and another was the mortal embodiment of the wrath of God), and from an archfey. They all chose an alignment, sure, but none of them were "keyed" to favor, represent, or draw power from that alignment. Alignment is just another element of their personality, like their Trait, Ideal, Bond and Flaw.

I hope that helps explain my way of doing things.

EDIT: I should mention, I use the "Custom Origin" rules from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

And what if I wanted to play a creature who what bound to an Inevitable's contract before birth and tied to the concept of Contracts and Order,

Or a creature whose noble family was touch for a being of Storms and Chaos via a magical pledge or chance encounter.

Neither would be be an Tiefling or Aasimar.

One might look like the fantasy version of aa cyborg with inorganic limbs and vital organs andhave the ability to force conformity and obedience to a rule.

Another might have a body parts that doesn't match each other in shape and color and be able to free body, mind, and objects from the laws of nature.

That's my proposal.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The Slaad-Touched are the Chaonds. The Shadow planetouched are the Shadowswyfts and/or the Gloamings.
Chaonds seem alright. Their connection with the slaadi is clear enough, if somewhat overly specific. The others, from what I could find on the Internet, seem to lack those sorts of details. It's not clear what "ancestry from the Plane of Shadow" means. Who are you supposed to be descended from?

Chaonds seem alright. Their connection with the slaadi is clear enough, if somewhat overly specific. The others, from what I could find on the Internet, seem to lack those sorts of details. It's not clear what "ancestry from the Plane of Shadow" means. Who are you supposed to be descended from?
Khayal I did find these guys. But there is no official mention of them producing any Planetouched descendants. If they did, I could see them siring Shadow Genasi. ;)

Vaalingrade

Legend
This is why I feel like D&D's good and evil are based on the age old misunderstanding of 'protagonist and antagonist' with 'hero and villain'.

Remove ads