Leif's 4E Adventuring in Encastulum [IC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
In Samwelll's Tower -- Library

Rydan very quickly scans the index tome, slides a ladder into place, and retrieves a volume from near the top of the first level of books. This volume seems to be a collection of newspapers and broadsheets from fairly recent times. Looking on the page indicated, Rydan sees a warning to farmers of increased ogre activity given by a Ranger Cadre. This seems to be a likely lead, because Rangers do not ordinarily hunt their prey to extinction, since they believe in the supposed sanctity of all life, and all that rot. To most ranger nature organizations, ogres, orcs, and even dragons all have their proper roles to fill in the Great Nature Machine. Sheesh, they're almost as sickening as druids!

[No offense is intended to any PCs who are now or may later be members of either the ranger class or the druid class. This is just a case of taking an idea and spinning it out to its illogical limit.]

[Edit: 1/13/20015, FYI: What I meant by this post is that usual practices would seem to indicate that there are still some ogres around somewhere in this area because the rangers would likely not have killed them all.]

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Looking over Rydan shoulder, Firil spots the suggested terrain and decides to take that research further, it being one of the things he truly knows. He looks up the region and, together with his own scouting knowledge of the surrounding areas, tries to find any advantages they may use or the ogre may have.

Knowledge Nature Check with book bonus: 1D20+15 = [17]+15 = 32

Firil's hunch leads him to a volume of more specific natural reports and data that gives information regarding specific raid times, associated weather conditions, preferred prey, and so forth. All of this translates into a +3 bonus to initiative vs. these specific ogre opponents in this specific area for Firil and his allies, and a +1 bonus to initiative for Firil and allies against all ogres anywhere

OOC: RavenBlackthorne, the built-in ENWorld dice-roller is up and working again, so you really don't need coyotecode. The sometimes inconvenient thing about the ENWorld dice-roller is that you can't edit rolls once they are made, so you have to have everything just right before you click "roll," which is occasionally a pain for notorious mistake-makers like me.

CoyoteCode.net and/or InvisibleCastle.com are, of course, perfectly acceptable alternatives, except that the "Castle seems to be closed for the time being.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Having found the the crucial information needed, Rydan resists the urge to browse this impressive collection. "I see you have been productive as well. I guess maybe we need to go Ogre hunting then." The young wizard has a look of surprise on his face after he says this last as if maybe he never expected to utter those words.

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
Firil looks up, eyes bright, smiling at his companion.

An eager pup! I like it!

He slaps Rydan's shoulder in a friendly fashion.

But maybe we should find out a little more about the helm we seek, to be sure we obtain the correct object?

Scotley

Hero
"Oh, are we to hunt a particular Ogre? So often in my experience magical components need not be from a particular creature. One eye of newt or toe of frog is as good as another."

Leif

Adventurer
In The Tower -- Samwell

"No, no, no, I think you misunderstand me boy," he says to Firil. "I speak not of a certain ogre nor a certain helm. It is just an ingredient for a charm. Rydan has the right of it -- any helm from the head of any ogre will do, still containing the head or not, at your complete discretion, although, obviously I will have to dispose of the unneeded flesh before beginning the charm."

Last edited:

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
Ah! I see. I am thinking this through far too much!

He springs to his feet, his hands falling comfortably to his side, near his axes.

Then let us hunt!

The light gleams off of his canines as he smiles ferociously.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases