D&D 5E Let's talk power words!

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
...is revealing the foes current Hit Points supposed to be the standard way to play?
This is a case of their not being a "standard way" of handling things.

However, I would note that the game rules are not being changed by interpretation going either way on this matter because the game does not outline a rule that information must be shared, nor that it must be concealed (and the DMG doesn't really suggest either course either). Which means it comes down to a preference: players being able to make informed decisions about when to use particular options, or players having to rely on guesswork to make some options work (whatever the reasoning behind either might be).

I personally lean towards letting the players know when their character's stuff is worth using, as I see nothing gained by trying to prevent the players from knowing the game-rule and how-stuff-works side of the game that we are playing - because it is a game, and I insist on treating it like a game (and in case I haven't said 'game' enough to make sure the implication that too many folks forget the 'game' portion of 'role-playing game' and try really hard, in vain, to make it serious business: game).

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
IMO the spells are crap if you don't share hp values (or at least reveal to the caster if the spell will affect a proposed target).

But if you do then they are fine. A single-target level 9 spell that deals 100 hp with no save is valid. It's about the same damage as a level 9 disintegrate, but of course disintegrate offers a save to avoid entirely.

CapnZapp

Legend
Nope. What I'm saying is this: You are wrong about the spell being "useless" or "utter sh***" for player characters - full stop.
*shrug*

You really can't live with the fact this edition isn't flawless, can you Aaron?

The number of threads where I have criticised a rule and you have defended the Holy Writ that is the PHB are by now countless.

So I know better than engaging in discussion with you.

At least there will be one player selecting PWK for their ninth level slot. You.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
You really can't live with the fact this edition isn't flawless, can you Aaron?
I've told you repeatedly that I don't think this edition is flawless. Are you incapable of experiencing someone having a differing opinion from you in a way other than to wildly misrepresent that differing opinion with a dreamed-up straw man?

The number of threads where I have criticised a rule and you have defended the Holy Writ that is the PHB are by now countless.
Only if by "countless" you mean having no number to count because there are literally zero threads in which I have "defended the Holy Writ that is the PHB".

Satyrn

First Post
Well I've heard there was a secret die
That Gary rolled and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for rollplay, do you?

jaelis

Well I've heard there was a secret die
That Gary rolled and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for rollplay, do you?

It goes like this
roll a 4, you miss!
The miner dwarf, a raging gith,
The baffled thief lock-picking, hallelujah!

S

Sunseeker

IMO the spells are crap if you don't share hp values (or at least reveal to the caster if the spell will affect a proposed target).

But if you do then they are fine. A single-target level 9 spell that deals 100 hp with no save is valid. It's about the same damage as a level 9 disintegrate, but of course disintegrate offers a save to avoid entirely.

Pretty much this.

The spells seem cool, and they do have cool effects, but without knowing the current HP of your enemies, they're rather useless, especially since there's no granularity to some of them. Either HP is low enough and it works, or it isn't and it doesn't.

If the opponent got say, Advantage on their save if their HP was over the threshold, I think that'd be a better way to handle it.

Gadget

Adventurer

Fair enough. But even so, has anyone done a breakdown on how many of what CR the spell will affect? I get that you have to whittle down the HP for same CR foes (iirc a moderate challenge?), but at what CR does it just stop being effective without some (or significant) whittling? CR8, CR9, CR10, 11? higher? I mean, HP totals will vary, of course, but it would be nice if it had some effect for those (many) foes a player is likely to face that are unlikely to to be vulnerable without a lot of set up and effort for your one ninth level slot of the day.

jaelis

Fair enough. But even so, has anyone done a breakdown on how many of what CR the spell will affect? I get that you have to whittle down the HP for same CR foes (iirc a moderate challenge?), but at what CR does it just stop being effective without some (or significant) whittling? CR8, CR9, CR10, 11? higher? I mean, HP totals will vary, of course, but it would be nice if it had some effect for those (many) foes a player is likely to face that are unlikely to to be vulnerable without a lot of set up and effort for your one ninth level slot of the day.
Don't think of it as a "I win" spell. Think of it as a "I do 100 hp damage for sure" spell. The utility of that doesn't really depend on CR.

It's not amazeballs. Doing plain damage is often not the best use of a caster's time. But it can be a useful option, and the amount of damage is, IMO, in line with what you should expect.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Don't think of it as a "I win" spell. Think of it as a "I do 100 hp damage for sure" spell. The utility of that doesn't really depend on CR.

It's not amazeballs. Doing plain damage is often not the best use of a caster's time. But it can be a useful option, and the amount of damage is, IMO, in line with what you should expect.

It's also very cheap, requiring no pricey (or any) components and can be cast without a spell focus. And unlike, say, Meteor Swarm or Prismatic Wall, it can be cast in a narrow space (the former) and while drawing considerably less attention (both), making it rather tactical*.

Sure, a combination of other spells, feats and skill sets can work together to bust out great chunks of damage, but these typically take either more effort/draw more attention/require more space to work with.

A single word to potentially drop a weaker target or finish a wounded one is rather convenient. And also, kinda cool. :cool:

*And with no save, the caster can at least rely on it, though to what extent does require how HPs are communicated - is a save better than damage tracking/meta gaming a monsters current hit point total? Eh.. pros and cons of both.

Remove ads