• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(LHHS) OOC Thread II

Creamsteak

Explorer
I was analyzing other games, and I do imagine that we can turn this game into the most tactical and open-ended game given that we work on it a little. I'd like to do that, how do the rest of you see that concept?

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
It sounds very interesting.
What exactly are you thinking about?
Could you describe it a bit more?

I certainly like this game, but from the lack of responses (to this thread, and the adventure at times), I don't know how much interest there would be in dedicating anything but the minimal effort to it....?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Tactical: I'd like to see combat on all levels of planning and strategy. The group hasn't had the chance for this very often, but pending that you advance and get into a nice range of safety (and gear) I'd like to improve that. I'd like to see planning sessions (probably just a certain group of posts) where the group sits down and discusses all of the different leads and options I've presented the group with.

Open Ended: I don't pressure you into any one path. I give you as much detail, opportunity, and description as I can find in the world (I try to picture the DM as the guy looking through his campaign world of choice for things the players find interesting, rather than seeming like the motivator of the story.)

The problem (honestly) is character level. You don't have enough resources to really take advantage of all tactics possible. Basically, you’re forced to step into combat and take advantage of your individual abilities at this point. However, once spells and such become an option you should be able to expand tactically.

So, I'm going to try and rush you through the current encounter, and any others (you have 8 or 12 rolls of the dice left I think...) till you get to town. You'll finish (at least) the first part of this particular goal, and from there I hope you will all recap one-another on your current goals. From there, we move on into whatever endeavor you all choose, and we advance a little more.

If we can get to 6th level without too much death, we should be able to work on the tactical/open-ended part of the adventure. By tactical, I mean that the group will plan there next actions out to take advantage of every bit of information accrued together, and make the choices entirely independent.

In other words: you set the plot, and you make the plans of assault... and I do maps, tell information, reveal check results, and decide on outside influences. That's fun -to me. I started this thread to see where people's minds are about this. I know my style of play is not for everyone.

Last edited:

Darkwolf

First Post
[17:47] [creamsteak] We can fix that... it's bad design to have set DCs for character abilities...
[17:47] [Char] class level + cha?
[17:47] [creamsteak] Items it makes sense... wands, staves, poisons... not characters...
[17:48] [creamsteak] If that seems appropriate, yes.
[17:48] [creamsteak] I'm not sure, as I don't have the book with me as stated before...
[17:48] [Char] I think that is what the others use..I'll take a look
[17:48] [Char] I will type it up and mail it to you regardless
[17:49] [Char] but it wont matter until 6th-7th level depending on how you read requirements and if I can take the feat for level before advancing class level
[17:50] [creamsteak] I house-ruled that you can take feats when you level up before taking the class level (for 1/3/6 etc)
[17:50] [Char] k
[17:50] [creamsteak] So basically you can take the feat at level 6, and the class that needs it as a prereq
[17:50] [Char] k..I'll see if I can manouvre skill levels to get me in there at 6th..
[17:50] [creamsteak] What's your 3rd level feat?
[17:51] [Char] probably a meta magic unless I can find another one that fits better
[17:52] [Char] unless you have a suggestion from the DM department
[17:52] [creamsteak] I'm considering your skills as possible class-skills, but I'm trying to see how that works...
[17:52] [creamsteak] For instance, Listen/Search/Spot I have a home-brew feat that makes those class skills, as they are a group
[17:53] [creamsteak] Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate would be another one, of similar meaning...
[17:53] [Char] I would take that in a moment makes no sense that a class based on cha doesnt have any of those as class skills
[17:56] [creamsteak] Alright, propose it to me in OOC and I'll write it up in a second
[17:57] [Char] I'll just C&P this there..if that is alright with you
[17:58] [creamsteak] k
[17:58] [creamsteak] Well I'll list my skill-group related feats in OOC

Edit: CS asked me to post this..he has groups of skills that can become class skills for a feat..

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
What Darkwolf Said... Let's see if I can finally sit down and do these... I took some less popular (at least with my group) feats, and turned them around. You can still take the normal versions, and for Monster Manual entries that use them I use the normal context, but these are just my way of doing things...

Replaced Feats:

Alertness: Gain Listen/Search/Spot as class skills.
Endurance: Gain Climb/Concentration/Swim as class skills.
Mounted Combat: Gain Animal Empathy/Handle Animal/Ride as class skills.

Added Feats:

Charismatic: Gain Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate as class skills.
Stealthy: Gain Disguise/Hide/Move Silently as class skills.
Sensitive: Gain Gather Information/Read Lips/Sense Motive as class skills.
Evasive: Gains Balance/Escape Artist/Use rope as class skills.
Learned: Gains 3 Knowledge Skills as class skills.
Linguistic: Gains Decipher Script/Forgery/Speak Language as class skills.
Craftsmanship: Gains Appraise/Craft/Profession as class skills.
Student of Arcana: Gains Knowledge Arcana/Scry/Spellcraft as class skills.
Roguish: Gains Disable Device/Gains Open Lock/Tumble as class skills.
Survivalist: Gains Heal/Intuit Direction/Wilderness Lore as class skills.
Acrobatic: Gains Jump/Perform/Tumble as class skills.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Reminder to all players other than Reapersaurus, Darkwolf, Lichtenhart:

What's your update status?

Edit: I'm thinking of compromising the racial benefits just a tad.

Change Drow Fire Resistance to 7+Class Level instead of 11+Class Level.

Nord Cold Resistance to 9+Class Level and Electricity Resistance to 7+Class Level.

Orcs Gain Medium/Light Armor proficiency, but drop heavy.

Take away the free Weapon Focus for Wood Elves, and replace it with a +1 bonus to projectile weapons.

Take away the Redguard's Rage and Rage Related Abilities, Replace them with a +1 bonus when using bladed weapons, and add proficiency with Shortsword/Longsword.

Actually... I just noted that the ony race being played that would be edited is the drow, and they lose 4 Fire Resistance, which I hope isn't asking anything big of them. I'm finally convinced that having FR greater than most outsiders at 10th level is a bit much, lowering it by 4 delays it till 14th level ;).

Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads