D&D 5E Lightning Bolt should be better.

I think for a 3rd level spell dealing 8d6 average 28 damage to a 20’ radius is much too powerful. After nearly TPKing (5) 4th level characters yesterday, I might house rule using 3rd level slot is 6d6, and 2d6 each slot after that… dunno, need to think about the path of that, but adding average 7 damage seems about right for each slot.

It's worth noting that spells are balanced with PC use in mind rather than monster use against PCs. It's because there's a significant amount in difference in how PCs and monsters are built. This is why spell damage should be tweaked when a monster uses it, to fit in line with the guidelines in the DMG for designing monsters.

Lazvon

Adventurer
It's worth noting that spells are balanced with PC use in mind rather than monster use against PCs. It's because there's a significant amount in difference in how PCs and monsters are built. This is why spell damage should be tweaked when a monster uses it, to fit in line with the guidelines in the DMG for designing monsters.
Thanks. Will see if I can find that.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I think for a 3rd level spell dealing 8d6 average 28 damage to a 20’ radius is much too powerful. After nearly TPKing (5) 4th level characters yesterday, I might house rule using 3rd level slot is 6d6, and 2d6 each slot after that… dunno, need to think about the path of that, but adding average 7 damage seems about right for each slot.

This is a fair point. In a recent adventure I played in, IIRC we had our party of 7th level PCs get ambushed by several Flameskulls, and we took a LOT of damage. It was a rough one.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A5e made the standard fireball a 6d6 (with a variant 8d6)

Remove ads