D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Oh, rule lawyers were already there in force in 1e. We just didn't have the arguments magnified by the Internet.
It's a related, but different, phenomenon. We had rules lawyers, too. But they didn't object to house rules or DIY or homebrew. They simply studied the house rules and incorporated them into their rules lawyering. I'm talking about the people who object to house rules, DIY, and homebrew.
Oh I have no issue with the rules as artificial structure. That's what basically all RPG rules are. I also dont have any issue with the idea that they are not a hard and fast ruleset (certainly not within the context of creature biologies).
Cool.
With that said, they also have almost nothing to do with verisimilitude.
Verisimilitude in the sense of a world with a consistent set of rules that people within can learn and make fairly reliable judgements and roughly extrapolate future events based on prior experience. Not in the sense of it resembling our real world. Here be dragons, etc.

I reject this argument. If "able to breed" is the criteria for being the same species in D&D, then trolls, demons, dragons, celestials, etc. are also all just different races of humanity. Somehow, a dragon is more human than an ape or giant under this definition.

Most of those creatures cheat by using magic like shapeshifting by Dragons, Elves and humans just have to have sex.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
You know, I shouldn't be surprised at the current discourse…

On a bit of a different note I am curious about the Yuan-ti (one of my favorite races). They are not called purebloods in the TOC, which I’m ok with as I always found it weird that a race that wished to become more snake-like would identify the least snaky of their kind as pure. I wonder if they will be keeping their immunity to poison and their magic resistance feature, and if not I wonder what they will receive instead.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I reject this argument. If "able to breed" is the criteria for being the same species in D&D, then trolls, demons, dragons, celestials, etc. are also all just different races of humanity. Somehow, a dragon is more human than an ape or giant under this definition.
Agreed. Clearly these were all created by sorcerers with loose ethics conducting experiments in hybridising, mutation and genetic modification in the witcher lab of Kaer Morhen.

Ixal

Hero

On a bit of a different note I am curious about the Yuan-ti (one of my favorite races). They are not called purebloods in the TOC, which I’m ok with as I always found it weird that a race that wished to become more snake-like would identify the least snaky of their kind as pure.
Oh yeah, I was confused as heck by that when first reading about that.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

On a bit of a different note I am curious about the Yuan-ti (one of my favorite races). They are not called purebloods in the TOC, which I’m ok with as I always found it weird that a race that wished to become more snake-like would identify the least snaky of their kind as pure. I wonder if they will be keeping their immunity to poison and their magic resistance feature, and if not I wonder what they will receive instead.
Yuan-ti are apparently the same except poison immunity is resistance now.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Most of those creatures cheat by using magic like shapeshifting by Dragons, Elves and humans just have to have sex.
Because apparently, humans are all that and a box of chocolates. Just look at our weak, bald, squishy, wingless, claw-less, fang-less bodies. No darkvision, no fiery breath, no magical powers at all. In a world of dragons and magic, who wouldn't want a piece of this?

Seriously: why would you choose human? They're a suboptimal choice even for the pitiful Sorcerer class, let alone the dating scene.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads