D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Last edited:

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
It's actually pop culture, not D&D that uses races wrong from a scientific point of view. Humans don't really have races biologically. I was surprised to learn that too. Exceptions like Thrikreen and Lizardfolk that really are different species exist, but Elves, Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, Gith, Tieflings, Aasimar, Genasi all different races of humanity. They even can interbreed creating stuff like Half Elves, Muls, and Half Orcs.
You do not have to be the same race to breed. For example, humans and Neanderthal could breed, yet they are different species. Horses and donkeys can breed, but they too are different species.

I get it. If someone wants to tell me it's because "Fantasy!" then that's fine. It's been a while since I took physical anthropology but let's take a look at a 5th edition halfling.

View attachment 149752

Okay, so what do we have here? We have what appears to be a small primate that walks upright, has opposable thumbs, and judging by that huge melon (scientific term) sitting on her head is quite intelligent. Given the length of her forearms, it's quite clear brachiation isn't her primary means of locomotion nor does it appear as though she walks on all four. At just 36 freedom units tall, she has walking stride of approximately 14.86 freedom units. The stride for a human female who is 66 freedom units tall is approximately 27 freedom units.

"But, Mgibster," you might say, "She is a halfling and not a human." Fair enough. But when it comes to physiology the halfling if very, very similar to a human. Even accounting for both individual variation within and without the species, halflings aren't going to move as fast as humans. Unless you want them to I guess.
Analysis based on character art. It's basically science. It's a wonder actual scientists aren't doing this already.

But I thought moving forward WotC removed ASIs from all races. So in one book, all the races have ASIs but in another book it says those ASIs no longer apply.

So this is on page 9 of what is now a fast growing 20 pages, but I am not going to sift through all that before replying. lol

The thing is that anything outside of the core three books is optional content, so until WotC gives us the info that makes the PHB match this, you can modify the core races to match, ignore them, ignore these, mix them together, etc, until we get to 2024 and have everything match up.

It simply feels very silly to me if all the dozens of completely differently shaped and sized fantasy species just happen to have physiology that results them having identical capabilities.
That's fair. And to be clear I don't think there is any real need for that to be the case. But basing any conclusions on fictional anatomical analysis is darned silly.

Weiley31

Legend
Is it switched for all Small races, or just for the Small races in it? Aren't regular Halflings, Gnomes, and (non small) Dwarves still at 25'?
I mean, it's a simple enough houserule to change it.

Unless for some reason somebody is against it. So your probably nerfed until 2024 or an errata: whichever comes first.

I mean, they don't, I pay them quite a bit: since 2014 they have been making a game that feels perfectly tailored to me, which is admittedly delightful. Prior to that, I had stopped playing RPGs entirely.
Regardless of system, it is always nice when you find one of those. I've found 2 in my life, and consider myself very very lucky.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases