D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Unless you want to use official material that involves goblinkin subsequent to this shift, especially if the newer material strongly emphasizes the new fey-centric approach. In which case you're faced with rewriting it to match the older version you still use - possibly significantly - or simply find that the new material is useless to you.

Sure, you can argue it isn't a big problem, but it's not a non-problem.
I agree that it can be a problem, but, yeah, it's not a big one. Just use the Volo's/Exandria/Eberron/Ravnica version if you don't like the new one. I get support for my preferred lore, they get to keep using previous versions if they want.
Same here! I honestly wasn't interested in the Nentir Vale when it replaced the default D&D assumptions that came before, but as a setting unto itself it's much more appealing. Perhaps the First World concept is laying the groundwork for a restored Nentir Vale...
I completely agree.

guachi

Hero
I can live with that or ignore it. But weren't goblinoids usually tied more towards being dwarven and human enemies and make more sense to give them abilities along those lines? Only race I see having a tie to elves are orcs which are humanoids. IDK I guess more light could be shed on this as people see the book as a whole.

Fey are cool and humans, dwarves, and halflings are boring. I think it's simply that.

Personally, I hate fey this and fey that. Wild Beyond the Witchlight was an easy pass. Making more and more things fey is just going to get me to pass on whatever WotC is pushing.

Maybe the idea WotC is trying to appeal to preteens is true and that's why? The latest survey had a number of questions on teaching young kids to play.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Maybe the idea WotC is trying to appeal to preteens is true and that's why? The latest survey had a number of questions on teaching young kids to play.
Why would that have anything to do with fey? There's plenty of scary fey in D&D 5e (Meenlocks, Hags, Redcaps/Madcaps, etc), and making goblinoids feyish in origin really doesn't make the game any more "childish" than before.

Last edited:

Near as I can tell, the optional Size only applies to some of the Anthropomorphic animal options, except the Aarocockra who are always Medium. The Owlin from Dtrixhaven can be Dmsll or Medium as well. It's not a general rule, it's Race by Race trait that can provideexceptionsto the rule..

It applies to Changelings, Aasimar, Genasi, Yuan Ti as well, which suggests Tieflings will get to pick either medium or small size as well in the 5.5e PHB.

ChaosOS

Legend
FWIW the Changeling change is the biggest thus far - Eberron lore has had various bits written to the idea that gnomes and halflings are off limits for changelings, requiring Disguise Self instead.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
What does it do though? Remove them from Gruumsh? I wonder if thats it?
. . . They were never Gruumsh's. They were/(are) Maglubiyet's. And making them Feyish in origin doesn't change that at all, because the lore states that they used to have an entirely different pantheon before Maglubiyet killed/overthrew all of them. Having them be Fey in origin just either makes them like Elves or means that their former pantheon were Archfey (which I really like, and is my personal headcanon).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I dont. I was quite open in my praise of Fizbans.
Hmm. I haven't seen that. I'm glad that you like some of the newer content. Did you like the Dragonborn races in it (besides lacking racial ASIs, that is)?
However I actively dislike the direction they have been going with on races, and I would rather they stop.

Fantasy races can be different. Its OK. Its not real Wizards.
And they still are. They just don't have the cultural mechanics anymore. They still have genetic/race-based mechanics.

Scribe

Legend
. . . They were never Gruumsh's. They were/(are) Maglubiyet's. And making them Feyish in origin doesn't change that at all, because the lore states that they used to have an entirely different pantheon before Maglubiyet killed/overthrew all of them. Having them be Fey in origin just either makes them like Elves or means that their former pantheon were Archfey (which I really like, and is my personal headcanon).
Oh this is just Goblins? I thought it was all the Goblinoid (and I just default to thinking Orcs as part of that for some reason...)

Brain cramp.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases