D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Oh this is just Goblins? I thought it was all the Goblinoid (and I just default to thinking Orcs as part of that for some reason...)

Brain cramp.
Yep. Just Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears. Orcs don't get Fey Ancestry in this book. Maglubiyet is in charge of the Goblinoids, and Gruumsh is in charge of Orcs (in a few worlds, at least).

No problem. Was just confused.

Scribe

Legend
Hmm. I haven't seen that. I'm glad that you like some of the newer content. Did you like the Dragonborn races in it (besides lacking racial ASIs, that is)?
I didnt like the space that they took up, but otherwise the Dragonborn update was fine.

The whole of the book though, I really enjoyed, the only real miss was not having the Chromatics/Metallics in there for completeness.

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA

If you say so.

Removal of Speed/Light Sensitivity is just 2 more things removed in an effort to generalize the game. This all WILL hit the PHB eventually, and I dont think I've been wrong yet on the path they are on.

Certainly not one I'll be riding.

I'm sympathetic, although I will note that some races are improved in this book, Genasi had previously been horrible except Fire Genasi, they now worth playing now and seem really, really fun.

Kenku appear to have been fixed, which is good because they previously had almost pure ribbon abilities before and the no talking thing was a horrible retcon and by RAW meant they could cast spells with verbal components.

A couple of races get nerfs (Aasimar and Yuan Ti), but they do get something in compensation at least.

Scribe

Legend
I'm sympathetic, although I will note that some races are improved in this book, Genasi had previously been horrible except Fire Genasi, they now worth playing now and seem really, really fun.

Kenku appear to have been fixed, which is good because they previously had almost pure ribbon abilities before and the no talking thing was a horrible retcon and by RAW meant they could cast spells with verbal components.

A couple of races get nerfs (Aasimar and Yuan Ti), but they do get something in compensation at least.

Maybe the fixes are great.

Nothing needed to be removed though, to fix those races. Small could still matter. Size could still be a thing. Alignment....ASI....blah blah blah.

You get it, and I know its not going to change, so I'll just move on.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I honestly wasn't interested in the Nentir Vale when it replaced the default D&D assumptions that came before, but as a setting unto itself it's much more appealing. Perhaps the First World concept is laying the groundwork for a restored Nentir Vale...
I absolutely love the Nentir Vale and the points of light setting. Same with the cosmological changes they made to make anywhere in the multiverse actually playable rather than mythic instant death realms. I don't care where the Vale comes back, or the Dawn War pantheon, or the World Tree cosmology...only that it does.

And bring back Mystara while you're at it, Wizards.

guachi

Hero
Why would that have anything to do with fey? There's plenty of scary fey in D&D 5e (Meenlocks, Hags, Redcaps/Madcaps, etc), and making goblinoids feyish in origin really doesn't make the game any more "childish" than before.

It's why I used a question mark. Maybe it's just coincidental. I don't have kids and have no idea what a modern 12-year old would like. I know what 12-year old me would like, but that was a few decades ago.

Gobliniods have increasingly been tied to the Feywild since 4th edition, with Goblin Kingdoms in the Feywild.

I think Fey Ancestory is intended to be more additive then subtractive, they aren't getting rid of the Gobliniod Pantheon or changing every Gobliniod tribe in every setting, it means they will likely add some good and neutral Gobliniod tribes/nations, especially in the Feywild.

For me the weird stuff is the extreme size differences in Tabaxi, Haregon, Tortles, Kenku, Owlin, and Yuan Ti, in most of these cases its a very odd retcon to lore and there doesn't appear to be a good explanation as to why in the lore or what it means in practice for races.

I will say this book appears to be a preview of sorts as to what we can expect for the 5.5e core books.

And I think it hints at what can be expected for the next Forgotten Realms Campaign book (adding new "monster" race cultures that aren't evil, such as tribes/nations of good Orcs/Yuan Ti/Gobliniods/Kobolds/Etc...), but like I said I think it will be more additive then subtractive.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think you're mostly right. But once sales fall off, WotC will make a proper "big shift" edition again.
My feeling is that business model is one of a bygone era. It seems that future revenue will be mostly from licensing IP, movies, video games, and applying the 5e system to other settings and games.

A lot of this depends on how successful Hasbro is in building the D&D brand--how successful the movie is, how successful the various video games are, can they get some successful series on Netflix and Amazon, etc.

As for the game itself, I think that the Monopoly analogy is apt. Other than tweaks here and there the core of the system is unlikely to change much. Monopoly doesn't make money by drastically changing the rules of the game, but they release many versions of the game that tie into popular franchises or areas of interest.

It will be interesting how things continue to develop with digital tools and online play. None of the VTTs I've used are optimal and fall short of possibilities in my opinion. A bespoke VTT developed specifically for D&D that "just works" for official content would be welcome. I'd hate for that to mean not licensing content for other VTT systems. While they can't support every VTT out there, the current model of licensing content and letting the VTT devs make it work in their systems works well enough. While that would mean competing against themselves somewhat, I think it would be short sighted completely reverse their current licensing model. They can put provisions into their licenses and have a review process to ensure a certain level of quality, but there are a lot of people that are going to want to stick with their preferred platform.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think the biggest issue for our groups have been if the rules are available. DriveThruRpg makes that easy for a lot of long ago things.
This. But, increasingly, whether the system is supported in the VTT of choice is driving my choice of games to run.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases