List of NPC Stat Blocks in VOLO'S GUIDE TO MONSTERS

One of the great things about the D&D 5E Monster Manual (a concept which I blatantly copied when creating the Bestiaries for WOIN) is the standardised NPC stat blocks which can be referenced by an adventure simply by bolding it. Volo's Guide to Monsters expands on that with a whole new bunch of NPC stat blocks, which I have listed below (thanks to @JohnnyZemo for kindly providing the list!)

Volos_Header_0.jpg

Abjurer
Apprentice Wizard
Archdruid
Archer
Bard
Blackguard
Champion
Conjurer
Diviner
Enchanter
Evoker
Illusionist
Kraken Priest
Martial Arts Adept
Master Thief
Necromancer
Swashbuckler
Transmuter
War Priest
Warlock of the Archfey
Warlock of the Fiend
Warlock of the Great Old One
Warlord​
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

We seem to be missing an honorable paladin type. Looks like most other things are fairly well covered (assuming archer and scout cover ranger to some extent).

Archer is surprisingly good to see. I once tried the Mass Battle rules thing from UA, but it was noticably a problem when I put down loads of Veterans to serve as archers; they were crap at shooting but really tough, undermining the intended narrative a little.

Something that I was wondering; do you think that future adventures will make use of these and the other VGtM statblocks? I'm just wondering, because it seems quite a tough situation; do the adventure writers assume that the reader has possession of it, and make use of the new and interesting stuff, or do they assume the opposite, and we never get to see Nilbog and whatnot in a published adventure? Both seem troublesome in their own way. I guess that they can do a certain amount of wiggling (sidebars saying "if you own VGtM, make these substitutions")...

Archer is surprisingly good to see. I once tried the Mass Battle rules thing from UA, but it was noticably a problem when I put down loads of Veterans to serve as archers; they were crap at shooting but really tough, undermining the intended narrative a little.

Something that I was wondering; do you think that future adventures will make use of these and the other VGtM statblocks? I'm just wondering, because it seems quite a tough situation; do the adventure writers assume that the reader has possession of it, and make use of the new and interesting stuff, or do they assume the opposite, and we never get to see Nilbog and whatnot in a published adventure? Both seem troublesome in their own way. I guess that they can do a certain amount of wiggling (sidebars saying "if you own VGtM, make these substitutions")...

I'm guessing they will be used, with a disclaimer at the start saying something like "If you don't own Volo's Guide to Monsters, you can substitute the creature from the Monster Manual which follows in parentheses", and then have a substitute monster each time a Volo's monster is used...

dave2008

Legend
What I want to know is: are the Volo monsters going to be added to the basic rules / srd. How does that work or how will it work? If they are added to the free docs by the time they appear in an adventure then no need for disclaimers.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases