• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a standard 3.5 games

DarkMaster

First Post
rangerjohn said:
Pharos will probably be neutral good, but it still might be a problem. Unless the current goverment is evil.
I am good, I just don't beleive that the current governement fits my lifestyle.

Anarchist are not evil, they just don't beleive in a central governement and have a slightly different lifestyle. But my character would never hurt innocent for pleasure, he would actually try to protect them.

DarkMaster

First Post
DarkMaster said:
I am good, I just don't beleive that the current governement fits my lifestyle.

Anarchist are not evil, they just don't beleive in a central governement and have a slightly different lifestyle. But my character would never hurt innocent for pleasure, he would actually try to protect them.
Obviously I am talking about my character here.

Voadam

Legend
I changed quickdraw to improved unarmed strike. I'm thinking of a swashbuckler locking blades with an opponent and then punching him in the face with his off hand.

So its not a monkish martial art style but a swashbuckler combat savviness and adaptability form of fighting.

Jemal

Adventurer
I'll be playing another LG character - Human Monk 10.

Kurita, the leader of the local 'Way of the Staff' temple, it's a style devised by him to incorporate Staff-wielding with unarmed fighting in a fluid motion.

Speaking of which, Will you allow Staff's to be used for Tripping?

Also, I love the thought of wielding a staff, b/c it's basically the coolest weapon there is, but for a Monk it's pretty much useless because it's less powerful than your unarmed strike.. especially at higher lvls. Would you allow me to use my monk damage when attacking with my staff? It would be the exact same as if I were attacking unarmed, it's just that I'm using a staff. I'ld even be willing to give up one or more of the monk's other ability's for this.

DarkMaster

First Post
Jemal said:
I'll be playing another LG character - Human Monk 10.

Kurita, the leader of the local 'Way of the Staff' temple, it's a style devised by him to incorporate Staff-wielding with unarmed fighting in a fluid motion.

Speaking of which, Will you allow Staff's to be used for Tripping?

Also, I love the thought of wielding a staff, b/c it's basically the coolest weapon there is, but for a Monk it's pretty much useless because it's less powerful than your unarmed strike.. especially at higher lvls. Would you allow me to use my monk damage when attacking with my staff? It would be the exact same as if I were attacking unarmed, it's just that I'm using a staff. I'ld even be willing to give up one or more of the monk's other ability's for this.
Be careful with that If I was your DM I would allow it but you would lose your unarmed combat ability. That would equal ==> you lost your staff then all your unarmed ability are lost until you get a new one.
BUT I am not the DM and I should shut up because I can give him some idea. (Bad habits).

Jemal

Adventurer
DarkMaster said:
Be careful with that If I was your DM I would allow it but you would lose your unarmed combat ability. That would equal ==> you lost your staff then all your unarmed ability are lost until you get a new one.
BUT I am not the DM and I should shut up because I can give him some idea. (Bad habits).

Even if he did that I'ld be in the same boat as a fighter.. don't loose your weapon, and you've got no problem. But I was thinking more along the lines of what you see whenever you're at a martial arts tournament, or watching tv/movie, etc, when you see a guy/girl with a staff. Kick, staf staff, punch, twirling trip, etc. And the staff usually does as much damage as the rest of the attacks. It does make sense, too. I'ld be willing to give up the monk 'bonus beats' that give the choice of 2 feats, or something like that.

Zerth

First Post
Jemal said:
Also, I love the thought of wielding a staff, b/c it's basically the coolest weapon there is, but for a Monk it's pretty much useless because it's less powerful than your unarmed strike.. especially at higher lvls.
I wouldn't say it's useless for a monk to use a weapon instead of unarmed strike. It's way cheaper to enchant a weapon than get items, that improve your unarmed ability (items boosting unarmed combat cost three times the normal amount!). It's cheaper even with a double weapon, since you don't need to spend anything above +1 on the "off hand part" because you can hit with the "main hand part" with all attacks using flurry of blows if you so desire. And that's what you really should do, because TWF and flurry cannot be used together. The cheaper alternative is all the more appealing in a low-budget game like this.

You can trip by using unarmed attacks and can mix them with staff attacks any way you want so there's really no problem not being able to trip with the staff. However, I do find it quite strange, that quarterstaffs aren't trip weapons by the rules.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Jemal said:
Even if he did that I'ld be in the same boat as a fighter.. don't loose your weapon, and you've got no problem. But I was thinking more along the lines of what you see whenever you're at a martial arts tournament, or watching tv/movie, etc, when you see a guy/girl with a staff. Kick, staf staff, punch, twirling trip, etc. And the staff usually does as much damage as the rest of the attacks. It does make sense, too. I'ld be willing to give up the monk 'bonus beats' that give the choice of 2 feats, or something like that.

How about two new feats?

Armed Trip
Prereqs: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Trip, proficiency with selected weapon
Benefit: Choose one melee weapon. You may now use it to make trip attempts.

Weapon Kata
Prereqs: Monk level 8+, Weapon Focus (selected weapon)
Benefit: Choose one monk weapon (any weapon that can be used for a flurry of blows). You may now deal damage with this weapon as though you were a monk of four levels lower fighting unarmed.

Which, at tenth level, would mean a d8 with a quarterstaff instead of a d10 -- mainly for balance reasons, to offset the availability of enhancement bonuses to weapons, as well as the way this compares to the abilities of other classes -- at 10th level, it's statistically a +1 to damage for virtually all monk weapons; this compares unfavorably to Weapon Specialization, as it should, because that's the Fighter's unique privilege for a reason. It catches up with Weapon Spec at 12th level, which by no coincidence is when the fighter becomes eligible for GWF...

On the other hand, if you want a quarterstaff strictly for style points, I'm open to the idea of a "bonded weapon," specially hewn and crafted... It would have to be at least masterwork, and could be used (in a given round) either as a quarterstaff normally would or as an "extension of the body"... In the latter case, it would function mechanically identical to your unarmed strikes (you'd lose enhancement bonuses, no 1.5x str to damage if you're only making one attack, et cetera -- basically you're considered to be fighting unarmed, it just happens to be that you're holding your special quarterstaff in the process.). In terms of functionality it would be liked getting a limited quickdraw feat for free -- since this is still a benefit, I'd say you'd have to trade in proficiency with one other monk weapon (kama, siangham, et cetera... not much of a penalty, but it would come up mechanically about as often as the quarterstaff change would..)

You can go either route, and I'll consider both of those feats open and available to all. If neither option works for you, feel free to suggest another.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads