D&D General Looking for fantastical ideas: The Moon

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In my Masks of the Imperium D&D 5e campaign, the earth is the body of a decapitated, murdered god in an otherwise pretty empty and magic-less plane. That long departed deity is the source of all life and magic, it's bones literally are magic (and it's getting used up). The skull has formed the moon. Now, by the time fo the camapign people are like 'yeah, the moon liiks a little like a skull, that's why we call it that", in the same way that the earth beneath their feet isn't generally known as the body of a god.

The 9th level band I run has managed to, through line-of-sight transportation magic from before the high elven civil wars, have gotten onto the moon.

And I looking for more ideas to make fantastical.

Things we know:
  • It has a breathable but indescribable atmosphere.
  • The surface has dinosaurs on it.
  • It is chock full of magic - to the point that all spells are automatically upcast one level, and various other features are supercharged (e.g. the moon druid counts as a level higher for CR and access to elemental forms).
  • There is a minor house of High Elves on the moon who have escaped and been cut off, but they have been mutating in the high magic.
  • There are aberrations on the moon, including a Elder Brain from a broken colony that no longer has access to any living mindflayers or a tadpole pool and as such can't procreate.

But what I'm looking for are fantastical elements to add. Things that they would never have a chance to see elsewhere. And they have been through the feywild, where I already pulled out a lot of oddness and illusions.

What whimsical and wonderful elements should I include? Don't worry about adventures and hooks (though you can mention them), think about instilling a sense of wonder in the players.

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
The god’s hair has become a primeval, lush, jungle which is enriched by the inherent magic.
Instill whatever tribes of conflicting interests you’d like to add combats and drama.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In my old homebrew the craters on the moon were not caused by crashed meteors, but by the burrowing of the colony of purple worms living at its center.
I was just thinking about giant whales that "swam" through the moon "dust", and the idea of an adventure location inside of one. I think I can combine these two to be even better.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
There’s a psychic field affecting the entire moon which houses the last traces of the dead god’s consciousness (and is the patron of a unique group of warlocks), random bouts of telepathy and psychic visions/powers affect everyone, any psychic damage automatically has advantage

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
does it look like this?
1658252406714.png

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Try to summon a creature and you get an up-powered version. Giant, or dire, or (for instance) a mummy instead of a skeleton.

Larry Niven's "The Magic Goes Away" has the opposite situation, but might inspire ideas from scenes when a spellcaster goes all-out. "The Burning City" is a riff on the same idea.

Remove ads