LOTR and adventuring?

Okay, I give up. Where was the thread where someone posted all the mistakes that happened in LOTR, with regard to proper adventuring?

You know, "the world is in imminent danger, so let's stop in the Elvish realm for a couple weeks." That whole thing.

Or was that the Hobbit?

Anyway, anyone remember where it was? I tried the whole Search thing, but it didn't work. :(

Actually I would argue that this was not a mistake. The only way Frodo and Sam were able to sneak into Mordor was because so many of the Orcs and other troops were sent out to attack Gondor.

If they had not waited those armies would be less prepared. If those armies are less prepared and Saruman is not given his time to act then Saruman does not attack which results in Aragorn getting the Palantir. Once he gets that and wrestles control of it away from Sauron he causes Sauron to send forth his armies which with the extra time are ready.

This then leaves Mordor much more empty of orcs and allows Frodo and Sam the small opening to get in.

Storm Raven

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:
Okay, I give up. Where was the thread where someone posted all the mistakes that happened in LOTR, with regard to proper adventuring?

You know, "the world is in imminent danger, so let's stop in the Elvish realm for a couple weeks." That whole thing.

Those aren't mistakes, they are powergaming moves.

They stop in Rivendell for a few months. Why? During that time Aduril is reforged, which is pretty much one of the most pwoerful magical swords out there. Since item creation is limited to 1,000 gp per day, if it is a 80,000-100,000 gp enchantment to get Anduril back to speed, that explains the three or four months in Rivendell.

They stop in Lorien for a few weeks or so. Why? They get magic elven cloaks, a special anti-evil light box and some other goodies. Those things take time to enchant you know. ;)

Okaaayyyyyy.....

Now that it's been established that there are valid reasons why they did it, does anyone have a link to the thread where there was a humorous discussion as to how a REAL adventuring party would have handled the situation?

Remove ads