• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Low Level Wizards Really Do Suck in 5E

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
You really have to spend time reading spell descriptions in 5E. I used to gloss over Planar Binding because it was expensive and not particularly powerful compared to simpler summon spells or gate. Now Planar Binding is one of the most powerful wizard spells in the game. Planar Binding is how you summon an elemental or similar creature and bind it to service without using your concentration slot. You can even use gate to bind a more powerful creature to service for a long time. Wizard still has some serious power and is probably still the top of the mountain in power, though that mountain isn't quite as high.

With planar binding and simulacrum, you can have a small army of minions to add to your direct arcane power. It seems the wizard is less about the big hits or save or suck control and more about damage layering. You can layer on damage from multiple sources to equal what other classes are doing.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I did look at the spell description. Suggestion does not allow you to impose any other conditions on the subject such as frightened, incapacitated, or anything of the like.

Not sure why Phantasmal Force would be able to create the Restrained condition based on an intelligence check. I would as a DM allow a strength check at best as the dragon deals with any impediment to its wings in a manner that it is accustomed to doing. You cannot create unbreakable wings. You have no way of convincing a dragon that the chains are unbreakable or something it can't still fly with it on their wings using their strength. I would not allow you to ground a dragon with an intelligence save unless it also missed its strength check to free itself from the restrained condition. I would allow you to force the check, which would cause it to use an action to do so. It would have to do that on a round by round basis to stay flying while the phantasmal force was active. You could not stop it from flying away to figure out how to break the chains.

That's how I would run it.
I was not talking about imposing the frightened condition with Suggestion. I was talking about forcing the victim to take the ACTION of cowering...aka to sit in a corner, refrain from attacking, and try to seem like one is not a threat. This is considerably worse than the frightened condition. Similarly I would not expect Phantasmal Force to impose any negative -conditions- on the victim. So the dragon would not attack with disadvantage nor would attacks against them have advantage (or at least not unless the illusory sensations are somehow hiding combatants from the victim). However a victim who believes themselves to be trapped in a cage, manacles, or behind a wall will NOT simply try to step through or leave the area, though they might attempt to break free from or through such an impediment. Since this latter usage limits movement, it also limits the victim's ability to kite and/or direct melee attacks at various PCs.

Last edited:

I'd like to hear how different dms have managed the spell planar binding in their games....

It hasn't come up in my game yet--but isn't it quite expensive? Reading over the description didn't make it seem game-breaking to me. It's basically just a way of turning gold into medium-term combat power, which is perfectly in keeping with the wizardly idiom ("deadly when prepared for a threat; squishy when surprised") as far as I'm concerned.

DaveDash

Explorer
My group is very close to 15 now. They will be next session.

Wizards power comes from their versatility. They are the Rogue of the casters. They cannot win encounters with "save or die" effects as much (there's still a few spells in there), but they can effect the outcome of every battle significantly.

My Wizard player does like to complain from time to time that he doesn't do the damage a Paladin (or monsters) can do, but he doesn't realize he is ALWAYS effective and his spells have saved the parties bacon time and time again. Whether it be detect magic finding that harm trap, or leomunds hut protecting them from a night time ambush, wall of force allowing them to escape when badly hurt, or sunbeam blinding tough enemies in a BBEG fight.

Last edited:

Kikuras

First Post
For what it's worth, I am very excited about playing a wizard in 5e, specifically a low-level wizard. My experiences suggest that low-level wizards have never been more powerful (I didn't bother with 4e).

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
For what it's worth, I am very excited about playing a wizard in 5e, specifically a low-level wizard. My experiences suggest that low-level wizards have never been more powerful (I didn't bother with 4e).

Now that I'm not fighting dragons 7 or 8 CR higher than my level, higher level wizards are starting to seem powerful again. I'm thinking the combination of fighting one of the most powerful creatures in the game too low a level was the problem rather than concentration or Legendary Resistance.

Rhenny

Adventurer
My group is very close to 15 now. They will be next session.

Wizards power comes from their versatility. They are the Rogue of the casters. They cannot win encounters with "save or die" effects as much (there's still a few spells in there), but they can effect the outcome of every battle significantly.

My Wizard player does like to complain from time to time that he doesn't do the damage a Paladin (or monsters) can do, but he doesn't realize he is ALWAYS effective and his spells have saved the parties bacon time and time again. Whether it be detect magic finding that harm trap, or leomunds hut protecting them from a night time ambush, wall of force allowing them to escape when badly hurt, or sunbeam blinding tough enemies in a BBEG fight.
To me, this is what makes the wizard fun to play. Utility and contingencies give the party depth and inspire more imaginative narrative. I love spells that can't be easily reproduced in a video game. That's real magic to me.

To me, this is what makes the wizard fun to play. Utility and contingencies give the party depth and inspire more imaginative narrative. I love spells that can't be easily reproduced in a video game. That's real magic to me.

That's why my wizards always take Prestidigitation even at the cost of a combat cantrip: you can warm your clothes on chilly days, clean off mud, flavor your oatmeal like chocolate ice cream, and always sleep on the cold side of your pillow. I don't CARE that it doesn't inflict any damage in combat, it is the best spell in the book.

seebs

Adventurer
I did look at the spell description. Suggestion does not allow you to impose any other conditions on the subject such as frightened, incapacitated, or anything of the like.

Right, but it doesn't have to. An enemy who has been encouraged to "lie low for a while and not do anything" will Not Do Anything. Doesn't matter that they are not in fact incapacitated.

Remove ads