[LPF] Beggar's Belief

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: Sorry I wasn't able to respond faster.
Ariel asked the Guardian if he needed more healing. The answer is yes. We cannot really use channel energy in combat anyway, as it also heals the enemies and he is down a 4th of his HP total and the others are neither full.
Are we all acting regular before Knesh (full suit of our actions)?

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
OOC: Sorry I wasn't able to respond faster.
Ariel asked the Guardian if he needed more healing. The answer is yes. We cannot really use channel energy in combat anyway, as it also heals the enemies and he is down a 4th of his HP total and the others are neither full.
Are we all acting regular before Knesh (full suit of our actions)?

WD, not your fault; I didn't give enough time between posts considering you are in another time zone. If PM wants to do more healing previous to this point that's fine. As for actions, actually I just asked for initiative but if you want to post your action if you beat Knesh's initiative then you can. If you don't beat Knesh's initiative it would be best to wait for Knesh to act. There is no surprise round so when you do act you will get your full round of actions.

VVilhem, I'm still considering/consulting concerning your character action.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
OOC: Megan will have enough speed to move to I15 so that Knesh is within 30 ft. Her crossbow is also preloaded.

Ok, talked with other judges. The consensus is that you can't walk around with a loaded crossbow stowed. I'll need a revised action for Megan.[/sblock]

VVilhem

First Post
OOC: I feel that I must defend my position of this situation. I mean no offense and have posted my revised actions below if you deem my explanations inadequate:

1. Every DM is different. I get the feeling that details is very important to you. Differentiating between stating what you are holding in your hands vs. assuming you have your primary weapon in your hands (and it is loaded), which we never have to worry about with AFG, suddenly becomes essential. This style of play is absolutely fine with me, but I wish it had been made more clear when you took over. If we were on the same page to begin with, I would definitely have mentioned that Megan reloads and readies her crossbow, her signature weapon at the beginning of every combat thus far.

2. There is plenty of time after we got ashore and swam back to get the treasure/our belongings. Is it fair to assume that Megan can use a bit of that time to ready her crossbow?

If my plea does not change your mind, then Megan will move to H13 and draw her dogslicer. Thanks for listening.

Walking Dad

First Post

Surprised that Knesh had so easily found them, the Guardian readies his shield and takes a defensive stance for now.

[sblock=OOC]

move: ready shield
standard: Total defense

AC: 19, Touch: 12, FF: 16
CMD: 16
Fort +3, Refl +4, Will +1

HP: ?/19

[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Ariel Esimae, Female Aasimar Cleric

[sblock=OOC]Not one to pass up an argument. :p

Since we had a few minutes while waiting for Ariel to don armor, then Megan had plenty of time to load her crossbow. I agree, slung over her shoulder (stowed) it is not loaded. But if she had it in hand in preparation for moving out then it would naturally be loaded.

Without using mini-stats like I do, there is perhaps nothing clear to go on but the player's view of how they intended. If VV thought Megan was moving out with it loaded, I think you should allow it.

By using the EnWorld dice roller, you know the posted intentions were made before results, so Megan thought the crossbow was ready to go. Since we advanced a bit quickly (with at least one dangling conversation hook) then perhaps some leeway should be granted. [/sblock]Since the Guardian requested, Ariel channels again another wave of positive energy. He is almost healed completely only a purplish scratch remaining, while all traces of Megan and her injuries are gone.

With the treacherous employer's appearance, Ariel is faster to react than him, exclaiming, "Knave! Your treachery shall be rewarded with JUSTICE!" The cleric moves forward pointing her finger at the beggar and a fire bolt of divine creation darts forward to hit Knesh squarely.

[sblock=Actions]Megan & Ariel at full HP, Guardian at 18/19HP
Move Action: To H-14
Standard Action: Hit Knesh (ff and tch AC) for 6 damage.[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +2
AC: 19 (17 without shield/flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 16 Current: 16
CMB: +2 CMD: 14 Fort: +5 Reflex: +3 Will: +7 (+8 vs. Fear)
+1 for all with Resistance
Resistance: 5 Cold, 5 Acid, 5 Electricity

Current Weapon in Hand: Shield & Javelin

Fire Bolt: 4/6 Remaining Channel Energy: 1/5 remaining
Deflection Aura: 1/1 remaining
Spells Remaining: Orisons: (Light, Resistance, Guidance, Detect Magic)
1st Level 3/4 (Doom, Bless, Burning Hands) [/sblock]___________________________________________

Nicki-Aycox_9-29-03_Wescyde-Scan.jpg
Ariel Esimae

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC]
Megan drops her dagger and moves swiftly to a position where she can get a clear shot at the wretch (I18), pulling out her heavy crossbow as she does so. Aiming down the sight, she whispers, "Thank you for saving us the trouble of finding you."

The highlighted area is what I believe has me wondering. It all looks like you are still standing around where you came ashore. And didn't yet go looking for Knesh.

And then their is the pulling out the crossbow. That means it is definitively not loaded.

The time between coming ashore and when you hear the boot scuff isn't posted but if Megan still had her dagger in her hand it wasn't to long after.

There is no judge for this to give an official ruling. If it is ok with everyone I would like to take that spot. Thus letting a third party not involved help out.

Don't wish to slow down the game just wish to be fair.[/sblock]

VVilhem

First Post
OOC: Thanks for everyone's input on this situation. The reason I posted the way I did (dropping dagger, pulling out crossbow) was because GE stated Megan had dagger in hand, whereas I had assumed, when Megan told her companions "Yes, let's secure the boat and then deal with that double-crossing thug once and for all", that she had crossbow (loaded) in hand. Once GE had posted, I had to adjust to get Megan's range weapon ready. And if I had know that crossbow can't be stowed loaded (common sense in retrospect), I would have definitely said something as soon as GE posted with dagger in hand.

I, however, do not wish to slow down the final combat of this adventure and will accept GE's rulings. So instead of using the crossbow, how about I have Megan throw her dagger at Knesh from H13? Knesh is 20 ft away so Megan will take a penalty (-2 I think), but I think there is a good chance that she'll hit. Below is the dmg roll for the dagger.

EDIT: Almost forgot that STR applies to thrown weapons. So that'll be a total of 7 dmg including SA.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]There are a couple of issues here that I see:
First, carrying a loaded and stowed crossbow. You've already conceded that probably wouldn't work well. Issue resolved.

You also have to remember that this is a new game to me. Yes, I read along but I've been reading as we went and frankly, didn't pick up or forgot that Megan has used her crossbow first in every combat. The box I posted was just a paste from our previous combat so until I received more information I couldn't update it. If your standard mode of operation is to walk around with your crossbow at the ready, I need to know that. I have a lot of other things to concentrate on, so I feel it's your responsibility to say: 'Hey, this is what Megan normally does...' especially with a new DM.

I assumed a space of time before heading towards the boat where the characters prepared themselves. Only Perrin mentioned preparations taken by his character but I assumed that all the characters did so. I'm not such a stickler for such things, really. If Megan's SOP is to have her crossbow at the ready then it's at the ready. I'm certainly not going to hold you to what I posted in an outdated combat sblock.

So, next issue. Altering character actions.
When I said that Megan was outside range for sneak attack you changed her position. I don't know if you miscounted or if you forgot that ranged sneak attack has to be within 30 ft. or something else. In general, it's bad form to change your action after you've stated it. AFg didn't allow Perrin to change his action when it didn't work as expected earlier in this game and I don't think I should allow it either. However, with all the other kerfluffle I'm willing to ignore that and go with the action that you intended to happen.

Finally, I'm a different person than AFg and so, obviously, I'm going to be a different DM. I think it's self-evident that I'm going to do things differently; I'm not exactly sure what I was supposed to say when I picked this up to tell you all that. I am always looking for ways to be better at the DMing thing so feel free to message me if you have some idea how to go about this.

So, where are we now?
Ariel has done healing as requested by the Guardian; everyone is combat ready (only sensible on an island with a hostile) which means Megan has crossbow in hand. I'll stay with the intended action (and rolls) that VVilhem made for Megan. I need to review other initiatives and actions and make a summary post. Expect that a little later.

My apologies for the length of this and my apologies if I've said anything above to offend. That certainly isn't my intent. I'm still working on this 'Communication' thing, too. ;) If you want to continue to discuss some (or all) of this I would prefer to do it in private messages or in the social group discussion thread rather than here in the game thread.[/sblock]

Remove ads