Mad at Paizo?

GaiusMarius

Villager
Some people base too much of their identity upon their interests: sports, cars, rpgs, guns, hunting, running, biking, tv shows, movies etc and freak out when they think someone is enjoying it in the wrong way. Other times (with nerds especially sadly) so much of their identity is based upon the appeal it has to them that they can't take it if it appeals to others too.

Imagine a streaming show where the players gather around elaborately crafted Dwarven Forge dungeon setups, with the game focused almost exclusively on tactical maneuver and combat in the dungeon. The DM is adversarial and mocks the players relentlessly, while the players fist-pump, high-five, and do shots of jaegermeister whenever they win a combat. Each episode wraps with a graphic showing the total kills and GP gained by the players. And this stream is so popular that it defines D&D in the popular consciousness.

Now, if this stream's approach to D&D wasn't your cup of tea, if you found it off-putting, this could - in a small way - make D&D feel to you like something that wasn't your jam.
I'm of the opinion that a rising tide benefits all boats.

Or that sounds like a group trying to defeat a tournament module at Gen Con, and maybe that would make a good stream.

Or that people have been playing D&D different from the "assumed" way ever since there was D&D and a stream isn't gonna change that.

People realize I have no problem with Critical Role, right? Someone asked why a gamer might find CR put them off D&D, so I presented a scenario to illustrate why that might be the case. I personally don't really care what other people play or like.

Funny how threads become what people think they're about rather than what people actually write.

Some people base too much of their identity upon their interests: sports, cars, rpgs, guns, hunting, running, biking, tv shows, movies etc and freak out when they think someone is enjoying it in the wrong way. Other times (with nerds especially sadly) so much of their identity is based upon the appeal it has to them that they can't take it if it appeals to others too.

Yes, it does seem to be a feature of nerdom that even the slightest hint that someone doesn't like a property brings its fans out to man the ramparts with trumpets blaring and banners flying. Never really understand why people get so upset that others don't enjoy the same things.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes, it does seem to be a feature of nerdom that even the slightest hint that someone doesn't like a property brings its fans out to man the ramparts with trumpets blaring and banners flying. Never really understand why people get so upset that others don't enjoy the same things.

Yep I don't like Ravenloft or Dragonlance and to change it to suit my tastes would alienate the fans of those settings.

So rather than insist they mutilate the settings I just avoid them..

People realize I have no problem with Critical Role, right? Someone asked why a gamer might find CR put them off D&D, so I presented a scenario to illustrate why that might be the case. I personally don't really care what other people play or like.

Funny how threads become what people think they're about rather than what people actually write.
You made a post accusing CR of being actors theatrically playing D&D. Which others called you out on. Then you made up a scenario that is widely divergent from what CR is. Or from what other livestreamed games are.

From an outsider looking in I find this terribly amusing.

Just ignore it. If it is affecting you so much don't seek it out. Only you can make it as visible as you want it to be.

I think what some people are taking issue with is your saying certain ways of roleplaying is wrong. And contrived.

Imagine a scenario where a friend of yours gets really in character and plays everything bombastically. If this friend too theatrical? Too contrived?

Because roleplaying is about degrees. Doing things in character is roleplaying in my eyes. It does not matter how you roleplay. If your having fun in character and telling a story together? Your roleplaying.

TheSword

Legend

It’s not just nerfdom. People get very attached to their football teams and get pretty passionate about every aspect of them. Luckily in nerfdom, thugs supporting Critically Role don’t go around getting drunk and beating up Matt Coleville supporters at conventions.

Let’s be honest, this unhealthy attachment is used and relied upon by those subjects to make money. In advertising, in merchandising, in subscriptions. Money money money.

Critical Role is no different. It taps into a part of human nature. The fact that it’s streamed live, the ability to commentate on twitch, the YouTube comments, forum posts etc all designed to make us feel connected to our subject.

As with all things there are pro’s and cons.

Remove ads