• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Initiate Feat Debate!

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The really juicy thing I wanted to argue about is the presence of that spell slot that allowed my paladin to dish an extra DS instead of goodberries!

the point is:
while on downtime - you use all your spell slots to stack berries
while on adventures - you use your spell slots as you see fit, plus if you don't find yourself needing those extra 10 GB, you can get out of it an extra DS instead

apparently the consensus seems to be that you can't do this, which is fine, really: I don't care if I can squeeze out an extra DS, since what the feat provides me, it's more than bountiful already, it was just the topping, which if it isn't there, is not that big of a deal :)

then of course I can overrule it as DM as I see fit, but the debate was exclusively about the "lawyering" and not the ruling, if you catch my drift :D

If you need more slots for smite, I suggest you MC sorcerer for a few levels. If you go dragon, you only lose like an HP per level in exchange for more slots and a few spells

juggerulez

First Post
If you need more slots for smite, I suggest you MC sorcerer for a few levels. If you go dragon, you only lose like an HP per level in exchange for more slots and a few spells

Unfortunately, due to class features, dipping is not advisable. At the moment I'm at 5th, which means extra attack and 2nd level spells (Find Mount and Misty Step!). Going sorc would mean losing all this for what? 2 extra DM or two magic missiles? not worthwhile IMHO :)
Also at level 6th there is only the most insane paladin aura: your CHA bonus to all Saving Throws to all allies in a 30ft radius... 16 CHA means providing proficiency to all ST without it and doubling it to those that do; at 20 CHA you're providing everyone with the corresponding of advantage on all ST :D

I'd reconsider it twice going MC prior to level 6 just for this insane aura. It depends mostly on how lengthy your champaign is. If you're in a "sand box" one, a very interesting feature is Improved Divine Smite to look for; if your champaign is "pre determined", i.e. it's for characters from X to Y level, you'd better see what's in the middle between 6th and Y and plan accordingly: if you can't reach level 11th, MCing could prove very interesting indeed :)

Remove ads