D&D 5E Making Sneak Attack allow more weapons

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Should Rogues be allowed to use weapons that are not limited to fineness or ranged? If so how would it be worded so nothing breaks?
Sneak Attack
When you use Sneak Attack the damage die of the weapon is replaced with a d6. The weapon can’t be wielded in two hands or have the two handed property unless they are a ranged weapon.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Really, you could allow them to sneak attack with any weapon and it won't "break" anything IMO.

FWIW, we changed the restriction from finesse weapons to light weapons as our table likes the weapon selection better for flavor purposes (although some people might miss the whip, we haven't yet).

Another option that I love is to bump up sneak attack by 1d6 and have it replace weapon damage instead of augment it, and allow the rogue to sneak attack with any weapon (even unarmed if you want!).

That's my take, anyway. :)

auburn2

Adventurer
I think light weapons would be ok but I would be against doing it with others. GWM+sneak attack would break things pretty quickly. You could sneak attack with reach and +10 damage and then move away without needing to disengage. Even not counting the +10, with a greatsword you are also getting double the weapon damage of most finesse weapons. You are sneak attacking as rogue 2 levels higher ... but better yet you can get that extra d6 even when you don't have advantage or other sneak attack conditions.

You could even sneak attack with reach then dash as a bonus and be completely out of range for whoever you are fighting so the guy you are fighting can't retaliate. I know you can do that with swashbuckler already with a normal weapon, or an rogue with a whip, but is only 1d4 and precludes dual wield. Or you need to take swashbuckler to do with any other weapon and give up the bonuses and benefits you get with mastermind, assassin or thief. Doing it with a reach weapon getting massive damage would make swashbuckler more or less a useless kit.

I think to do it for all weapons without breaking things it would need to be a feat and I would still consider making it only work within 5 feet for non-finesse weapons.

Watch at about 3:00 into this video (warning language):

Last edited:

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
I think light weapons would be ok but I would be against doing it with others. GWM+sneak attack would break things pretty quickly. You could sneak attack with reach and +10 damage and then move away without needing to disenge. Even not counting the +10, with a greatsword you are also getting double the weapon damage of most finesse weapons. You are sneak attacking as rogue 2 levels higher ... but better yet you can get that extra d6 even when you don't have advantage or other sneak attack conditions.

You could even sneak attack with reach then dash as a bonus and be completely out of range for whoever you are fighting so the guy you are fighting can't retaliate. I know you can do that with swashbuckler already with a normal weapon, but you need to take swashbuckler to do that, giving up the bonuses and benefits you get with mastermind, assassin or thief. Doing it with a reach weapon getting massive damage would make swashbuckler more or less a useless kit.

I think to do it for all weapons without breaking things it would need to be a feat and I would consider making it only work within 5 feet.
I can see the damage boost, but can’t you already do that with the Whip?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Sneak Attack
When you use Sneak Attack the damage die of the weapon is replaced with a d6. The weapon can’t be wielded in two hands or have the two handed property.

Looks good to me as it is basically the last option I suggested. ;)

But you want to be careful about the two-handed thing since bows are two-handed. You are better off denying weapons with the heavy property I think, then you would only be denying great weapons (except greatclub), pole-arms, the heavy crossbow, and the long bow. None of these are weapons rogues are proficient in by default anyway.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Looks good to me as it is basically the last option I suggested. ;)

But you want to be careful about the two-handed thing since bows are two-handed. You are better off denying weapons with the heavy property I think, then you would only be denying great weapons (except greatclub), pole-arms, the heavy crossbow, and the long bow. None of these are weapons rogues are proficient in by default anyway.
So I changed the wording so bows can still be used. I put the two weapon property there since if you get a 1 level dip in fighter now you have Great Weapon Fighting where you can now reroll Sneak Attack Dice if it’s a one or a two.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So I changed the wording so bows can still be used. I put the two weapon property there since if you get a 1 level dip in fighter now you have Great Weapon Fighting where you can now reroll Sneak Attack Dice if it’s a one or a two.
As long as you're happy with it and your players find it fun, that's all the matters. :)

Remove ads