• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mando season 3

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Isn't it more of a commentary on the Mandalorians themselves?

One thing has been consistent in Filoni's portrayal of them, which is that they're a backbiting, fractious, political lot, not really the "honorable warriors who live for battle" they portray themselves as. This is historically extremely sound, because countless ancient cultures acted that way - presented themselves as super-honorable warriors, but were actually fractious and followed power and plunder, not good leadership. And when I say ancient and I think about it that actually applies pretty well to quite late in history, it only starts becoming outright abnormal after like 1000 AD.
So.... they're DS9 Klingons.

MarkB

Legend
The never take your helmet off thing is really, really, stupid. Not as stupid as having no friends or lovers, but stupid.
And if Grogu's a foundling, and of hard-to-quantify biological age, when does he have to be fitted out with fine Beskar headgear?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The never take your helmet off thing is really, really, stupid. Not as stupid as having no friends or lovers, but stupid.
It's not like there aren't people walking around in real life who have religious garb they wear in public. The Mandalorian showrunners could just ask them about how it works and make this fictional religious ritual make more sense.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Also, wouldn’t your face like rot away or something?
My understanding is that they can't take off their helmets IN THE PRESENCE OF ANOTHER LIVING BEING.

So, a life of solitude or maybe have a droid companion.

I mean, we never see anyone in Star Wars go to the bathroom. Does that mean that there are no bathrooms? Almost certainly not. I imagine that Mandalorian cultists are especially happy to go to the bathroom because, assuming it's a single person one, they could take their helmet off in there.

Also, it incentivizes cult members to try to survive long enough to get their own spinoff show or become series regulars at the very least. Because then they can take their helmet off to show off their actor face.

pukunui

Legend
So there's clearly been a time jump, but I wonder how big of one - are we talking months or years? When we last saw Din's covert on that ringworld in Boba Fett, there was just the Armorer and Paz Viszla. Now there's a whole group of them again.

When we last saw Nevarro, it was beginning to improve, with the cantina being converted to a school and such, but now it's unrecognizably upmarket. That can't have happened overnight.

And yet it also feels like no time has really passed at all.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My understanding is that they can't take off their helmets IN THE PRESENCE OF ANOTHER LIVING BEING.
i always sort of thought it should be that, but they've never actually said that. And we don't see him do it.
I mean, we never see anyone in Star Wars go to the bathroom. Does that mean that there are no bathrooms? Almost certainly not.
shrug Sure. You can explain anything in TV and movies that way. You never see him wear a clown costume, either.

pukunui

Legend
i always sort of thought it should be that, but they've never actually said that. And we don't see him do it.
I can't recall if it's ever explicitly stated, but it is certainly implied in Din's conversation with Omera in season 1, episode 4. She asks him how long it's been since he took his helmet off. When he responds "yesterday", she clarifies that she means "in front of someone else." He then points out the window at the kids playing and says "I wasn't much older than they are."

After Omera leaves, we see him place his helmet on the windowsill next to the plate of food she left for him. Presumably he eats while watching Omera and the kids outside, and I guess none of them look over at the window or else they'd see his face.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend

shrug Sure. You can explain anything in TV and movies that way. You never see him wear a clown costume, either.
Can't remember if it was Din or Boba but one of them mentioned it, when severely wounded, and the droid with that character said, "But I'm not alive." I'll have to dig for the reference.

Remove ads