• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Martials v Casters...I still don't *get* it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Trying to understand dissatisfaction with the current implementation of martial characters through the prism of game balance is not super useful in my opinion. Even if complaints are lobbied in that direction I think the root of the dissatisfaction really comes from the desire for a play experience the user feels is lacking. They want both more compelling gameplay choices and characters who thematically match what they are looking to play. They might also be experiencing a degree of ludonarrative dissonance. No amount of nerfing spellcasters or numerical balancing will fix the underlying issue if it does not address the gameplay experience or the desire to be more than a dude at the gym.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Although that's strictly about rules. I'm not sure it really applies in the case of most of what's being discussed in this thread (and it's not much of a fallacy anyway).
He asked what the internet fallacy that deals with just because the DM can fix an issue, doesn't mean it's not an issue. Regardless of the rest of the thread - that's the internet fallacy referred to.

Stalker0

Legend
Its called a "Glass Cannon" type monster. Very fragile but hits like a truck.
Except..... it doesn't.

One there is no cannon here, almost all of its effects are 60ft or less. The only actual big "cannon"....is insect plague....which has a great range, and is concentration and pretty low damage for a CR 15 (its less than fireball damage). No party dealing those CRs should be sweating that spell.

Two...its not glass....its paper mache. A fighter with a +1 sword will kill this thing in one round. I know because I've used it twice....and it happened both times:) First time I thought it might be a fluke, second time....no it just sucks.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Trying to understand dissatisfaction with the current implementation of martial characters through the prism of game balance is not super useful in my opinion. Even if complaints are lobbied in that direction I think the root of the dissatisfaction really comes from the desire for a play experience the user feels is lacking. They want both more compelling gameplay choices and characters who thematically match what they are looking to play. They might also be experiencing a degree of ludonarrative dissonance. No amount of nerfing spellcasters or numerical balancing will fix the underlying issue if it does not address the gameplay experience or the desire to be more than a dude at the gym.
Yes that rings true with my thoughts on the 5e martial types, though I might say "more than the DMs idea of a dude at the gym"

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Yes that rings true with my thoughts on the 5e martial types, though I might say "more than the DMs idea of a dude at the gym"
And yet is turns out more people want to play this class than any other. So maybe the cynicism in this thread and contempt for the fighter demonstrated by ‘dude in a gym’ should be reconsidered.

I also don’t know many dudes in my gym that could kill 9 people in six seconds with individual attacks, after falling off a 200 foot tall building.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I am sure there is a rpg based logical fallacy that states that just because a DM can fix an issue, does not mean there is no issue. So much time in this thread has been spent treading in this fallacy that the mess is everywhere.
There are a few kicking around in here

First you have the objective combat pillar disparity is too large to justify xyz > "no that's fine look at this wookie" chewbacca defense trying to dismiss it.

Second you have this maybe poorly named one that says "just because a rule can be abused by a bad gm does not automatically make it a bad rule". Gallacy or not that one is absolutely in play in this thread and getting used as a bad/hostile gm is something that can only ever apply to martials.

Finally there is the oberoni fallacy
someone already mentioned it, but I'm not sure that applies. No one is saying that a good GM can solve something so much as there are rules that address an area of complaint that are being ignored while others are saying those rules can't be considered because bad/hostile gms exist

There is probably one about bad white room usage or similar too but I'm not familiar with one.

Aldarc

Legend
And yet is turns out more people want to play this class than any other.
It would be a mistake IMHO to read anything more into that than "fighters are the most played class" as you appear to be doing here. This sort of ad populum is definitely not a solid argument to make as there may be a multitude reasons for this that may or may not be relevant to the issues discussed in this thread. We can get hints of this, for example, on D&D Beyond where typically the most popular subclass for a given class is the free or basic version. Is their popularity indicative of their quality or is it simply a result of their accessibility? Can people still play something but still be somewhat dissatisfied with aspects of it? Does it live up to their expectations? We don't know. We only have data that more people play this than any other class. So try not to read too much into so little.

TheSword

Legend
It would be a mistake IMHO to read anything more into that than "fighters are the most played class" as you appear to be doing here. This sort of ad populum is definitely not a solid argument to make as there may be a multitude reasons for this that may or may not be relevant to the issues discussed in this thread. We can get hints of this, for example, on D&D Beyond where typically the most popular subclass for a given class is the free or basic version. Is their popularity indicative of their quality or is it simply a result of their accessibility? Can people still play something but still be somewhat dissatisfied with aspects of it? Does it live up to their expectations? We don't know. We only have data that more people play this than any other class. So try not to read too much into so little.
Sure. All information needs to be considered based on the reliability of the source.

It does help to put in context this conversation though. Clearly claims of a theoretical disparity in power (suggested by @FrozenNorth) or tactical options (@ph0rk) or a general perceived unhappiness with martial characters in general, clearly aren’t substantial enough to stop people playing these characters. In fact they dominated.

I think one of the reasons the conversation gets such vehement responses is that it’s the equivalent of going into your local Italian restaurant, which is fully booked every night and telling them that they’re making the sauce wrong. Most people in that situation would back the chef up I think, in telling you to do one.

I have no problem with some people wanting more. There’s nothing wrong with someone wanting a martial that has abilities that do the same things as spells. However they should acknowledge that this is down to their own preference and not because there’s anything fundamentally broken with the spaghetti sauce. It’s just not to their taste. If you like your sauce particularly salty, you don’t ask the chef to put more salt in... you add it yourself at the table. All evidence presents that the restaurant is just fine. My advice would be to add some extra at the table, make it how you like it at home. Or find another restaurant that makes it how you want it.

Incidentally, are there successful current alternatives that have martial characters doing similar things to casters?... Not just by dramatically curtailing what casters can do (like say WFRP). Is anyone servicing this supposed demand?

To put it another way. If 4e was the edition that fixed the martial-caster disparity and made martials ‘cool again’ - this issue that is so important it keeps cropping up over and over again - why is there only 0.19% of 4e games being played on Roll20. One quarter of the 3.5e games being played (which has its player base split by pathfinder). Why has 4e been almost completely abandoned. It appears to be literally the least played edition online... which is ironic given its attempt to follow a MMORG. Even AD&D has more players online and we know that those players think VTT technology will lead to the end times! 😂

A lot of the assertions about ‘what is needed’ and what ‘people’ want, really doesn’t survive in the wild.

9C7088AE-41C3-499A-8603-75092F5ACBA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads