D&D 5E Martials v Casters...I still don't *get* it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
How would you feel if a DM told you that NPCs could do this but your PC could not?
The Orc Shaman has a staff that he uses while commiting regular human sacrifice as part of a community ritual I pick it up and cannot get it to do anything at all so what?.... it took that npc 20 years to bind himself to it doing things I wouldnt do. I dont know or have his skills

Martial skills must intrinsically be so easy anyone can do it /sarcasm.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't want martial characters with supernatural abilities (unless it's explicit to the subclass i.e. eldritch knight). I don't care if they're level 1 or level 20. If we started doing epic level campaigns? That might be different but even then it would have to be a blessing from some supernatural power

I'd be fine with this if martial characters at least hit Olympic levels.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That might be different but even then it would have to be a blessing from some supernatural power.
There is blessing in the blood and not necessarily known immediately. The classic hero discovers his part way through the story (like Herakles and Perseus and Cu Chulainn did - it was even Alexander the Great's Storyline that he had divine heritage) that they had a foretold or unusual birth and that parent they never or barely knew as a child was a divine power and how he can always tell when someone is dead is a side effect of his mother blessing him with water from the river styx.

These are massively character transformative things that 4e allowed players to choose not something a DM rando applies to your character and they put them in epic destinies some of which are less supernatural flavored than others some are just very extraordinary.

Do you play out every gaining of a feat in the story do you have to find a teacher for them or do they just happen because this is a game?

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I'd be fine with this if martial characters at least hit Olympic levels.
That's more of a problem with the simplified interpretation than anything though, isn't it? That and most olympic athletes aren't doing long jumps while wearing plate armor. ;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That's more of a problem with the simplified interpretation than anything though, isn't it? That and most olympic athletes aren't doing long jumps while wearing plate armor. ;)
Well that's the whole point.

That fighters and rogues are restrained by the simple inaccurate game rules for ease and knowledge sake.

Oofta

Legend
There is blessing in the blood and not necessarily known immediately. The classic hero discovers his part way through the story (like Herakles and Perseus and Cu Chulainn did - it was even Alexander the Great's Storyline that he had divine heritage) that they had a foretold or unusual birth and that parent they never or barely knew as a child was a divine power and how he can always tell when someone is dead is a side effect of his mother blessing him with water from the river styx.

These are massively character transformative things that 4e allowed players to choose not something a DM rando applies to your character and they put them in epic destinies some of which are less supernatural flavored than others some are just as very extraordinary.

Do you play out every gaining of a feat in the story do you have to find a teacher for them or do they just happen because this is a game?
I'm well aware of your love of mythic heroes like Cu Chulainn. I don't want to play Hercules, nor do I want to play 4E. For that matter, I'm not sure I'd even want to play epic level 5E if they came out with a supplement (even though I did it in 4E). You want a different game than the one I play. There's nothing wrong with that.

As far as training and feats, I have no idea what that has to do with the conversation.

Oofta

Legend
Well that's the whole point.

That fighters and rogues are restrained by the simple inaccurate game rules for ease and knowledge sake.
It's a compromise, like one of many that was made for simplicity. I don't personally have a problem with that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
taking off the armor has no impact... it sounds like magic armor which is the most likely thing you have at high levels just fits better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads