D&D 5E Masters of the Universe

guachi

Hero
4e Eberron specifically. MotU is one of those settings that really reaches back to the days before Fantasy and Sci-Fi were as siloed as they are now.

Yup. And it wasn't alone in the early '80s. I just picked up the blu-ray of the cartoon Thundarr, the Barbarian. That cartoon initially ran in 1980 and '81 and rerun in 1983. He-Man debuted in 1982 and the cartoon in 1983.

I don't think it's a coincidence. And every episode of Thundarr reads like it could be a D&D adventure.

I might go with He-Man as a Oath of Greyskull paladin, who has a channel divinity that gives him extra strength (or, in the spirit of the 1980's cartoon where he never hit anyone but could hit things, gives him the siege monster ability to do double damage to constructs). His other channel divinity could let him teleport magical armor from the armory of Greyskull to him once a day (for all the gimmick He-Man figures). I am not sure what oath spells to include, but oath of glory's spells might be a good starting point.

Pauln6

Hero
I might go with He-Man as a Oath of Greyskull paladin, who has a channel divinity that gives him extra strength (or, in the spirit of the 1980's cartoon where he never hit anyone but could hit things, gives him the siege monster ability to do double damage to constructs). His other channel divinity could let him teleport magical armor from the armory of Greyskull to him once a day (for all the gimmick He-Man figures). I am not sure what oath spells to include, but oath of glory's spells might be a good starting point.
Yes, this has potential but I don't recall He-Man healing anyone. I could potentially see his aura of awesomeness having a rejuvenating effect as an alternate class feature but people hate the concept of inspirational healing.

Yes, this has potential but I don't recall He-Man healing anyone. I could potentially see his aura of awesomeness having a rejuvenating effect as an alternate class feature but people hate the concept of inspirational healing.
I assume the sorceress just didn't tell He-Man he could heal people, since that was her gig. What you didn't see was that every time He-Man was around someone he could heal, a falcon would poop on his head to distract him.

To be honest, I wish healing touch had been an oath of devotion paladin thing. I don't mind each paladin having a "magic touch", but it would have been better if each oath had its own "magic touch."

Weiley31

Legend
Question was asked in the Dungeons & Dragons forum!
True, but as a nice add on to the topic, another kind poster soul also mentioned the Cortex Prime version of He-Man that's coming soon. And said post was also in a Dungeons and Dragons forum. So I see no issues with the mention of Titansgrave.

I keep on going back and forth on trying the AGE system out, especially since the Dragon Age pen and paper rpg version is powered by the AGE system.

Aldarc

Legend
True, but as a nice add on to the topic, another kind poster soul also mentioned the Cortex Prime version of He-Man that's coming soon. And said post was also in a Dungeons and Dragons forum. So I see no issues with the mention of Titansgrave.

I keep on going back and forth on trying the AGE system out, especially since the Dragon Age pen and paper rpg version is powered by the AGE system.
It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything as far as TTRPGs go, but it's a fun, easy to run system, particularly for new players. My players enjoyed the stunt system. I would hold off on buying it though until the new core rulebook comes out.

I will also flag @Marc_C, since I know they enjoy playing Modern AGE.

I honestly had no idea about the influences: that's actually pretty cool.
Sadly, Green Ronin had a world book lined up to release for Titansgrave, but it got caught in the same litigation mess that the series is in.

Weiley31

Legend
It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything as far as TTRPGs go, but it's a fun, easy to run system, particularly for new players. My players enjoyed the stunt system. I would hold off on buying it though until the new core rulebook comes out.

I will also flag @Marc_C, since I know they enjoy playing Modern AGE.

Sadly, Green Ronin had a world book lined up to release for Titansgrave, but it got caught in the same litigation mess that the series is in.
Ah, well that sucks.

Honestly I'd only try it out for Dragon Age. But I do like the idea of trying to import stunts from Fantasy Age over into the Dragon Age one.

Pauln6

Hero
You know an Oath of the Watcher paladin looks like it has potential. I've been keeping an eye out for possible spell effects in the 2002 version. It's easy overlook possible spells due to the manga fighting style. So far it's arguable that he has used:

Absorb Elements (1st level ranger/wizard)
Jump (1st level ranger/wizard)
Compelled Dual (1st level paladin)
Thunderous Smite (1st level paladin)
Gust of Wind (2nd level wizard)
Counterspell (3rd level wizard/watcher paladin)
Find Greater Steed (4th level paladin)

You could argue that the interception fighting style could be merged with the monk deflect missiles to come up with his propensity to deflect Skeletor's bolts.

So far I am not getting a strong sense of any particular class but if Adam is a Level 3 beastmaster ranger (for Cringer (a panther), a level 2 paladin, with a view to advancing as an Oath of the Watcher paladin, I think that covers most of his bases.

The sword can cover off casting Tenser's Transformation and Summon Greater Steed, and then the magical armour that arrives can cover off the other classic abilities (Breastplate +1, +6 strength and constitution for He-Man, Barding +1 with enhance ability - Bear's Endurance for Battlecat).

Still observing the others but could do:

Teela - torn between level 8 battlemaster fighter with mobility and a level 8 swashbuckler rogue who can sneak attack with a staff.

Ram Man - level 7 champion with unarmed fighting style - adamantine plate mail +1 with resistance to bludgeoning damage and bonus damage on a charge

Mekanek - Level 7 scout rogue with darkvision, expertise in perception and a returning hammer

Stratos - Level 8 monster hunter ranger with wings of flying - not quite got to grips with his fighting style - seems to use pistols and rockets.

Man-E-Faces - Level 7 College of Eloquence bard with second skin dark gift from Ravenloft crack shot with a pistol but beyond alter self and some detection spells for his robot self I'm not spying much magic.

Buzz Off - Level 8 swarmkeeper ranger

Man at Arms Level 3 battlemaster fighter, level 10 battlesmith artificer

Orko Level 3 college of creation bard, level 7 wild magic sorcerer - Orko is very tricky - he mostly seems to levitate things so far and is definitely not trained in constitution saves.

Remove ads