D&D 5E Masters of the Universe

Vaalingrade

Legend
Actually, we've seen He-man fire blasts from the Sword as well as complete or counter rituals using magic rather than might. He might well be a Hexblade.

Pauln6

Hero
Actually, we've seen He-man fire blasts from the Sword as well as complete or counter rituals using magic rather than might. He might well be a Hexblade.
Yes he deflects magical attacks and casts dispel magic, possibly absorb elements, but very much a defensive game. I'm not sure that there is enough there to build a class as opposed to an artefact.

At the moment, a Tenser's Transformation accompanied by magic items is my favoured method because there is no other mechanic for an alter ego in the game.

reelo

Hero
In which case, I would suggest Fantasy Age. I believe that Wil Wheaton's Titansgrave setting for Fantasy Age was explicitly influenced by He-Man, Heavy Metal, and Thundarr the Barbarian.
If Thundarr is your poison, let me mention the game "Barbarians of the Ruined Earth".
It's a Thundarr-flavoured post-apocalyptic sword&laser version of "The Black Hack" and an excellent game overall! I could see it work for MotU.

Aldarc

Legend
If Thundarr is your poison, let me mention the game "Barbarians of the Ruined Earth".
It's a Thundarr-flavoured post-apocalyptic sword&laser version of "The Black Hack" and an excellent game overall! I could see it work for MotU.
Don't worry. I'm aware of it and I do agree with your asessment, but thank you. ;)

A d20 "sword&laser", mixing Conan the Barbarian and Flash Gordon is possible, but a sword&laser totally retrocompatible with D&D 5th Ed then it is a serious challenge. If the players want to use firearms then the PCs will become Buck Rogers clones but nobody will want to the bodybuilder swordman.

Pauln6

Hero
A d20 "sword&laser", mixing Conan the Barbarian and Flash Gordon is possible, but a sword&laser totally retrocompatible with D&D 5th Ed then it is a serious challenge. If the players want to use firearms then the PCs will become Buck Rogers clones but nobody will want to the bodybuilder swordman.

It is possible to use a system like Mutants and Masterminds perhaps using attunement to particular tech. Without it your weapons are easily drained or damaged.

They are fun bare bones articles on the two main characters, even if the stats do look a bit out to me in terms of screen accuracy. Eldritch Knight us an interesting alternative for He-Man but if I want to try and work what we see on the screen then Beastmaster seems more appropriate. The 2002 cartoon clearly shows Teela a dex based fighter, which is a problem for weapon choices.

Estlor

Explorer
Honestly, I would lean into the pre-DC, original minicomic version of Eternia ("Miniternia") which really amps up the sword and sorcery aspect of the setting. The Great Unrest destroyed civilization as we know it and the countryside is dotted with ancient relics and powerful technology of old that has to be salvaged and repurposed. He-Man is a member of a barbarian who "The Goddess" (a powerful sorceress/druid) gifted with two magical suits of armor (one that increases his strength, one that projects force fields). The Power Sword is an ancient artifact-level item that was split in two and separated for safekeeping. Skeletor is a demon from another dimension.

Then layer in the various races from the later, Filmation-inspired mini comics and the 2002 Mike Young Productions reboot and go.

If you have to have something closer to a Filmation-style setup, I'd place it in the era of King Miros (Randor's father) after the Great Unrest. If you want to adopt the Skeletor = Randor's brother Keldor plot thread from the late minicomics, 2002 story, and the bios from the Masters of the Universe Classics figures, then you could make Keldor and Randor's relationship, fall out, and birth of Skeletor a major plot arc. Then you don't have to worry about an indefatigable god NPC solving all the problems for the party.

Pauln6

Hero
Honestly, I would lean into the pre-DC, original minicomic version of Eternia ("Miniternia") which really amps up the sword and sorcery aspect of the setting. The Great Unrest destroyed civilization as we know it and the countryside is dotted with ancient relics and powerful technology of old that has to be salvaged and repurposed. He-Man is a member of a barbarian who "The Goddess" (a powerful sorceress/druid) gifted with two magical suits of armor (one that increases his strength, one that projects force fields). The Power Sword is an ancient artifact-level item that was split in two and separated for safekeeping. Skeletor is a demon from another dimension.

Then layer in the various races from the later, Filmation-inspired mini comics and the 2002 Mike Young Productions reboot and go.

If you have to have something closer to a Filmation-style setup, I'd place it in the era of King Miros (Randor's father) after the Great Unrest. If you want to adopt the Skeletor = Randor's brother Keldor plot thread from the late minicomics, 2002 story, and the bios from the Masters of the Universe Classics figures, then you could make Keldor and Randor's relationship, fall out, and birth of Skeletor a major plot arc. Then you don't have to worry about an indefatigable god NPC solving all the problems for the party.
I was going to go hybrid, hence Adam's transformation is just a spell that also conjures the harness that boosts his strength and constitution.

The issue for me is whether his magical powers should be the sword or if there is a class that would successfully replicate them. He seems to have no ability to summon the sword, which is a tick against eldritch knight and pact of the blade.

Remove ads