D&D 5E Melee sorcerer build

Looking for advise on how to focus melee on my sorcerer. Currently 5 hexblade and 8 dragon soul. Main play is to cast elemental weapon on sword to get CHA to damage twice. But still kinda feel like it's better to just blast my way through everything. Thoughts?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Are you pact of the blade? What Invocations do you have? Are you sword & board or two handed weapons? Are you using feats in your game or not?

How does elemental weapon give you CHA to damage twice? When I read it it says you get +1 to attack/damage and +1d4 elemental damage of your choice.

Personally for my concentration spell I'd stick with the tried and true Hex and Improved Pact weapon to get a +1 weapon that could also be a longbow that uses CHA for hit/dam. Who needs eldritch blast anyway? :p

I like the tough feat for melee casters types, keeps them on their feet a bit better.

Other things... depend on some of the questions above.

Zardnaar

Legend
Assuming you have 2 attacks a round.

You can pick up green flame blade and quicken it. Sacrifice spell slots to quicken gfb, use Eldritch blast at range.

You could also hard cast haste to get a 3rd attack. I think you can cast haste, have an attack, then quicken a cantrip.

If you had divine soul instead of dragon adding Spiritual weapon and spiritual guardians.

A while ago.

Salthorae

I think you can cast haste, have an attack, then quicken a cantrip.

You could do that. Your quickened cantrip could be GFB or Booming blade as well for an additional attack. Sorcery points are the limiting factor on the quickens.

Either way, Haste is a great idea. As long as you have sorcery points you could make 4 attacks in a round (Attack, Extra attack, Haste Attack, quickened BB or GFB attack).

Hell, if you have Haste up and running for 3 attacks per round and you have Agonizing blast, you can then drop a quickened Eldritch Blast for essentially another 3 attacks in that same round.

If the target is subject to your Hex curse, you'd be dealing a potential metric ton of damage to a single target.

Mutliclass to fighter to pickup Action Surge and get another set of Extra attacks on the target as well.

In a full nova round you could get 5 attacks + 3 EB bolts each dealing Cha+Proficiency+damage dice to a target.

It's not the peak of melee potential, but it's good for sure. Burn another invocation on Eldritch Smite and then you can really maximize those spell slots and crits for damage when they roll around.

Zardnaar

Legend
You could do that. Your quickened cantrip could be GFB or Booming blade as well for an additional attack. Sorcery points are the limiting factor on the quickens.

Either way, Haste is a great idea. As long as you have sorcery points you could make 4 attacks in a round (Attack, Extra attack, Haste Attack, quickened BB or GFB attack).

Hell, if you have Haste up and running for 3 attacks per round and you have Agonizing blast, you can then drop a quickened Eldritch Blast for essentially another 3 attacks in that same round.

If the target is subject to your Hex curse, you'd be dealing a potential metric ton of damage to a single target.

Mutliclass to fighter to pickup Action Surge and get another set of Extra attacks on the target as well.

In a full nova round you could get 5 attacks + 3 EB bolts each dealing Cha+Proficiency+damage dice to a target.

It's not the peak of melee potential, but it's good for sure. Burn another invocation on Eldritch Smite and then you can really maximize those spell slots and crits for damage when they roll around.

Hmmn yeah that good. Quicken EB at range 3 attacks, wade in 3 attacks.

Sacrificing spell slots gives more sorcery points.

Ashrym

Legend
You could also hard cast haste to get a 3rd attack. I think you can cast haste, have an attack, then quicken a cantrip.

Quickening a cantrip means the only other spell the character can cast is another cantrip with a casting time of 1 action. Casting haste with the regular action prevents casting a quickened cantrip (or any other bonus action spell) because of the cantrips only rule. The character would need to quicken haste as the bonus action and use the regular action to cast the cantrip.

There's a definite rule that might mess up the plan if a person isn't careful with quicken.

Player's Handbook said:
Bonus Action
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Using quicken on any spell creates that restriction.

The restriction also means a character cannot cast reaction spells on that turn as well, such as counterspelling a counterspell.

Salthorae

The character would need to quicken haste as the bonus action and use the regular action to cast the cantrip.

Ok, so order of operator error, sure.

But it can still be done, you just have to quicken the haste rather than eldritch blast.

And on subsequent rounds, you can Extra Attack, Haste Attack, and quicken an EB for 6 attacks in a round.

Ashrym

Legend
Ok, so order of operator error, sure.

But it can still be done, you just have to quicken the haste rather than eldritch blast.

And on subsequent rounds, you can Extra Attack, Haste Attack, and quicken an EB for 6 attacks in a round.

Yeah that example can definitely be done by adjusting the approach. The advice is to watch out for that possible issue when it comes to quicken.

Ashrym

Legend
I'll add that the restriction applies to things like healing word as well and people don't always remember that cast the spell means either a standard weapon attack or a cantrip at that point, or on the round spiritual weapon is cast.

It seems like one of those easy-to-forget or overlook rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases