• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just got home from the Verizon Center having seen Mastodon opening for Soundgarden.

Mastodon's set was good, but the first few songs were marred by a mud(dier than usual for them) mix which resulted in some of the guitar losing articulation.

Soundgarden, OTOH, brought it all: thunderous drums, rumbling bass, artistically shaped distortion, and vocals that have not lost a note of range or second of sustain since I saw them in Austin in the early 1990s.

Also from that show in the 1990s was, I believe, someone behind me (again) smoking something that was NOT tobacco or marijuana. Back then, I likened it to someone burning a pine-tree air freshener. Tonight's choice I liken to a bar of Irish Spring wrapped in walrus bacon, wrapped in an old sock and burned by a welding torch.

Good show, though.

Surprising number of kids, too. Like 7-10 year olds.

ggroy

First Post
Yeah, it has been the same amount of time since I've listened to them as well.

I more or less stopped listening to metal sometime in the early-mid 1990's.

The last metal stuff I listened to regularly, was some of that "Scott Burns" produced death metal released on record labels like Roadracer, Earache, etc ... At the time, I was largely disappointed with how numerous death metal cds sounded. I thought Scott Burns was kind of a crappy producer, where many of his productions had most of the "bottom end" stripped out, and along with a really "thin" guitar sound. (Prior to that time, I was listening to a lot of early "proto" death metal stuff like Possessed, early Sodom, early Celtic Frost, early Death, early Bathory, etc ...).

By the time it was the early 1990's, it seemed like the extreme metal market was being flooded with tons of mediocre stuff released on labels like Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Relapse, Osmose, Peaceville, etc ... Very little of it held my interest. Even stuff released on Roadracer, Earache, Metal Blade, etc ... was holding less and less of my interest. I was largely getting bored of it all, for the most part.

I more or less stopped listening to metal sometime in the early-mid 1990's.

The last metal stuff I listened to regularly, was some of that "Scott Burns" produced death metal released on record labels like Roadracer, Earache, etc ... At the time, I was largely disappointed with how numerous death metal cds sounded. I thought Scott Burns was kind of a crappy producer, where many of his productions had most of the "bottom end" stripped out, and along with a really "thin" guitar sound. (Prior to that time, I was listening to a lot of early "proto" death metal stuff like Possessed, early Sodom, early Celtic Frost, early Death, early Bathory, etc ...).

By the time it was the early 1990's, it seemed like the extreme metal market was being flooded with tons of mediocre stuff released on labels like Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Relapse, Osmose, Peaceville, etc ... Very little of it held my interest. Even stuff released on Roadracer, Earache, Metal Blade, etc ... was holding less and less of my interest. I was largely getting bored of it all, for the most part.

I had a similar experience. While I never stopped listening to metal, mostly I went back to stuff like Iron Maiden, Metallica and other more mainstream fair toward the end of the 90s. Also I think the grunge thing had a wierd effect on metal (it felt like around 95-96 a lot of these metal bands were struggling to be relevant). Now I listen to whatever sounds good, and usually that means something a bit more on the light side. Every once in a while I revisit my old metal albums for fun though.

As I got older I think I became more open-minded as well. I will listen to anything from R&B, hip-hop, classical to metal and hard rock.

ggroy

First Post
I had a similar experience. While I never stopped listening to metal, mostly I went back to stuff like Iron Maiden, Metallica and other more mainstream fair toward the end of the 90s. Also I think the grunge thing had a wierd effect on metal (it felt like around 95-96 a lot of these metal bands were struggling to be relevant).

I more or less exited the metal scene sometime in the late 1980's, where I stopped going to concerts/gigs regularly and purchased less and less new metal records/cds.

During the 1990's, I was mostly listening to cheesy eurodance style type music. Though I didn't buy many cds at the time. (I picked up many of these cheesy dance music cds years later, when they started showing up in the bargain bins for a dollar or two a pop at places like Wal-Mart or at thrift shops).

Now I listen to whatever sounds good, and usually that means something a bit more on the light side. Every once in a while I revisit my old metal albums for fun though.

As I got older I think I became more open-minded as well. I will listen to anything from R&B, hip-hop, classical to metal and hard rock.

These days, I'm not particularly picky about music. Whenever I'm driving, I usually tune in to some cheesy dance music or classic rock radio stations.

Asmo

First Post
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MTDBb8qro]Nightwish - Storytime - YouTube[/ame]

First single from the upcoming album "Imaginaerum"

Magnificent song.

Asmo

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads