Metal School

R_J_K75

Legend
I didn’t know they re-formed!
They didnt! Just started a new band, Cendric and Omar.

I saw them before their last CD...Noq...I cant spell it. We bought tickets under the guise of it being a Rodriguez show and last minute they announced on the radio...Its a Mars Volta show. They demoed the last CD live...it was great.

I know this thread is more oriented toward classic metal, but can anybody explain to me why death metal lyrics cause so much controversy when they're completely unintelligible? Like Cannibal Corpse, they claim to be saying all sorts of shocking things, but for all anybody knows they could be singing the lyrics to Louie Louie. Are there really people out there who can understand their singing?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I know this thread is more oriented toward classic metal, but can anybody explain to me why death metal lyrics cause so much controversy when they're completely unintelligible? Like Cannibal Corpse, they claim to be saying all sorts of shocking things, but for all anybody knows they could be singing the lyrics to Louie Louie. Are there really people out there who can understand their singing?
Yes, the guitar player in the band. Needs to know when their solo is coming up...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Supposedly. I guess.

I was never a fan, so I tuned the genre out early on.

reelo

Hero
Hey, Chris Barnes, the original singer, used to grunt quite unintelligibly, but George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher isn't too hard to understand.

As for the lyrical content of CC, they're the musical equivalent of slasher- and gore-movies. Bad taste, good fun, very tongue in cheek.

As for the lyrical content of CC, they're the musical equivalent of slasher- and gore-movies. Bad taste, good fun, very tongue in cheek.

I'm familiar with their lyrics from lyric lookup sites like Genius.com, but in the actual songs I can't make out one word of what they claim to be singing, even if I'm reading along as they're singing. It's basically like the whole song is naturally a radio edit because the gory verbal imagery is every bit as inaudible as it would be if it were simply beeped out entirely.

And it's annoying because most metal bands with these kind of lyrics seem to also be unintelligible like this because they gravotate toward death metal which in turn gravitates towards this kind of unintelligibility.

Can anyone recommend a band that has Cannibal Corpse-esque lyrics but crystal clear vocals?

Remove ads