D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

I really wish they'd make it an Eberron movie, whether based on an existing novel or not. Eberron is extremely accessible (id say its even more accessible to the casual audience than it is to the average dnd nerd, who brings a bunch of assumptions with them that must then be abandoned), familiar but also new, with plenty of room for tropes from both fantasy and non-fantasy fiction without feeling like the movie doesn't take itself seriously, just like how GoTG can have jokes that feel decidedly American, and it works because there is an American character on screen, while other characters act more like a classic space opera.

Forgotten Realms has to work much harder to show why it isn't Middle Earth or whatever GoT-land is called.
Agree completely. Eberron is a no-brainer for a D&D movie setting. It even looks more like how non-D&D people typically imagine D&D to look nowadays than other settings.

I will go see the new D&D movie the same way I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl -- nervously, but with optimism. It could certainly stink -- although it'll be hard to top the first one in that regard, even though it, too, has some nice bones in the form of the 3E setting that WotC appeared to have been toying with releasing, based on the snippets they posted on their website at the time -- but if it does, I have faith that the creators will have screwed it up all on their own, whether they adapt it from previously published work or not.
I mean, personally I'll wait on reviews. If it's good and we're allowed out of the house by then, I'll go see it.

All I'm saying is the odds of it being good would, historically, be a bit better if it was using an extant story. But as I've said in other posts I can see why they're not - none of the existing stories really capture what's fun/cool/special about D&D. The writers they have are good.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
On the contrary, you probably don't want to slow down an action movie with a lot of world building exposition. Most people have some idea of GenericFantasyland, even if it's only from Frozen.

Game of Thrones and the Witcher do their worldbuilding gradually, sneaking it in over several episodes (and hiding it in the opening title sequence). They depend on the audience understanding the basics of Genericfantasyland until the details get filled in. There is no need to explain the Forgotten Realms.

If you want to go for the Pompous Epic approach, like Lord of the Rings or Dragonlance, then you might start with a 10 minute info dump, but not for a GotG-style action adventure.
The FOTR movie gets away with it in part because the info-dump prologue tells a story pretty evocatively, that climaxes in a big battle scene. It's a little mini movie before the movie. It also sets the tone and stakes really well, and establishes the notion of a story within a story and the cyclical nature of the conflict. It's very smartly done, but it's a minor miracle it works at all.

The FOTR movie gets away with it in part because the info-dump prologue tells a story pretty evocatively, that climaxes in a big battle scene. It's a little mini movie before the movie. It also sets the tone and stakes really well, and establishes the notion of a story within a story and the cyclical nature of the conflict. It's very smartly done, but it's a minor miracle it works at all.
Sure, it's well done. So is the opening crawl to Star Wars. But it sets a tone that is different to the one the D&D movie is supposed to be aiming for. And I doubt anyone could make "how Eberron is different from GenericFantasyland" as interesting as "The Last Alliance of Elves and Men".

How so?

There are no good actors in the 2000 D&D movie except Jeremy Irons, who has worked with terrible material to great effect countless times. Thora Birch is probably the next best and as I recall barely got any material, crappy or otherwise. Also, was there any "good material" for "good character actors" in the 2000 movie?
You misunderstood, I agree with your statement. Jeremy is a great actor who couldn’t bring up the crappy material in the 2000 movie. The point of my statement was thar you need good material (story, writing, direction, etc.) more try an you need A list actors. Don’t get me wrong, greater actors are good, it the underlying material is more important.

There are loads of excellent actors who never get a big break in the movies. And there are fair few rubbish actors on the A list. Often it's a choice between actual talent and a big name that will bring in the audiences.

There are loads of excellent actors who never get a big break in the movies. And there are fair few rubbish actors on the A list. Often it's a choice between actual talent and a big name that will bring in the audiences.
Yeah this is a real issue, because audiences don't always respond to good actors. There's a pretty good correlation, but we often see pretty terrible actors pretty hugely celebrated. Which I think is totally fine but it's calling to see someone talking about "good acting" when it's definitely not happening from a certain actor, and what they actually means is "I'm enjoying their work". Like, I don't think anyone is saying, say, Keanu Reeves is the greatest acting-actor ever - we celebrate him because he's charming, good enough, has great physicality, and god versatility and so on. But you see other actors who are even worse actually getting called "good at acting".

A good recent example would be WandaVision, where to be frank, Paul Bettany is acting at level several stages up from Elizabeth Olsen, in terms of conveying real raw and complex emotion, humanity, and depth (even with pretty ordinary writing - it's not bad but also not amazing).

Yet if you look at it being discussed, people praise them together and often praise her acting. And her acting is just not special in any way. It's not anything elevated, she doesn't convey anything raw or complex - it's pretty basic stuff.

And it doesn't make her a bad person that she can't match Bettany - he's 18 years older, much seriously trained in acting, and has done serious acting roles vastly more than her (I'm not saying action movies etc. aren't serious, but I am saying stage acting in general is a wholly more serious thing than Mary Kate & Ashley or the like). Nor does it make her miscast. You don't actually need amazing acting from her, though Bettany being so far ahead does seem a bit troubling at times. And also she seems pretty damn cool in interviews and as a person.

But it does make my opinion of the audience steeply drop when you see whole bunch of people Emperor's New Clothes-ing Olsen's performance. Even that's almost too kind actually - it's not even that they all know and are saying that out of fear of standing out (though there is a bit of that I daresay), it's that plus a lot of them literally couldn't tell good acting from a hole in the ground but are only too pleased to say how great certain people's acting is.

Sorry, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

You misunderstood, I agree with your statement. Jeremy is a great actor who couldn’t bring up the crappy material in the 2000 movie. The point of my statement was thar you need good material (story, writing, direction, etc.) more try an you need A list actors. Don’t get me wrong, greater actors are good, it the underlying material is more important.
I agree but there is a threshold below which the actors are so bad they drag the material down with them. The 2000 movie had that on top of crappy material, with the male lead particularly (Marlon Wayans is Laurence Olivier next to that guy).

All of the actors cast so far are extremely pro though so no issue yet.

I actually though Elizabeth Olsen was considerably better in WandaVision than she had been previously. But I suspect that is acting opposite Bettany. The difference between a good actor and a great actor is a good actor makes every scene they are in better, a great actor makes every actor near them into a good actor.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I actually though Elizabeth Olsen was considerably better in WandaVision than she had been previously. But I suspect that is acting opposite Bettany. The difference between a good actor and a great actor is a good actor makes every scene they are in better, a great actor makes every actor near them into a good actor.
I think she's being given better material to work with in WandaVision - more to do. She's definitely rising to the occasion.

Some actors need the right director, too. I've seen Natlie Portman be pretty lackluster in some things, and then she's gone and won Oscars for other things.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think she's being given better material to work with in WandaVision - more to do. She's definitely rising to the occasion.

Some actors need the right director, too. I've seen Natlie Portman be pretty lackluster in some things, and then she's gone and won Oscars for other things.
it is likely a combination of thing as most things are.

Remove ads

Remove ads