D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

or the villain.
Nope. Pine is a classic "leading man". He doesn't play villains, he doesn't play mentors (yet), and he is looking to move beyond sidekick to female lead. The announcement stated that he was "staring in", not "appearing in".

And he isn't British, everyone knows all villains are British. Even when they are shapeshifting dragons.

He also fits with what we learned about the movie before his casting was announced - "looking for an A list leading man to headline".

Last edited:

Nope. Pine is a classic "leading man". He doesn't play villains, he doesn't play mentors (yet), and he is looking to move beyond sidekick to female lead.

And he isn't British, everyone knows all villains are British. Even when they are shapeshifting dragons.
This is some pretty wild speculation dressed up as certainty. Have you considered starting a cult? I understand that kind of certainty can be very helpful! And why would he be "looking to move beyond sidekick..." when he's already been lead in several Star Trek movies? That's bizarre.

I am I admit shocked to find he is only 40. One of the few actors in Hollywood who looks a lot older than he is.

This is some pretty wild speculation dressed up as certainty.
I'm certain. Hollywood announce the casting of the lead first. It's the way it's done. Anything otherwise would be poor movie etiquette.
And why would he be "looking to move beyond sidekick..." when he's already been lead in several Star Trek movies? That's bizarre.
Because he is better known for Wonder Woman. I'm surprised you thought he was older.

I'm certain. Hollywood announce the casting of the lead first. It's the way it's done. Anything otherwise would be poor movie etiquette.

Because he is better known for Wonder Woman. I'm surprised you thought he was older.
It's pictures like this, plus he has the calm manner of an older person:

Him being first announced is actually a reasonable point, though there are plenty of counter-examples, not least stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean. Usually you announce the biggest star of the movie first, and that's usually also the lead - but sometimes they aren't. I don't buy he's better known for Wonder Woman than Star Trek though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That there are some duds as well doesn't detract from the general point, because the dud:hit ratio seems to be very much better when Hollywood works from someone else's solid story. The concern here is justified - they don't appear to be working from any kind of D&D story, not even an adventure, or someone's campaign or whatever - historically that's lead screenwriters into some really awful scripts before.
No, the point is nonsense. You claiming I'm not playing fair is requiring me to treat the point as having any value whatsoever.

Adaptations, in any genre, have no better track record than works that are not adaptations.

What makes a film successful is a combination of the efforts of hundreds of people, from the producer, to the director, to the typically team of screenwriters (no matter what gets credited, there's usually a lot of cooks in the kitchen there), to production design and a thousand other factors.

Again, if adapting works was more likely to lead to success, THAT'S ALL HOLLYWOOD WOULD DO.

If you don't know what Save the Cat is, go look it up. There was a long period where it was considered the key to financial success. read the beats of what's outlined in that process and you will likely recognize dozens of films, because Hollywood drove that technique into the ground, because they thought it was a sure-fire way to succeed.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In any case, it certainly looks like they're aiming for more than D&D fans. I'm cautiously optimistic, time will tell.
I remember walking into the first Pirates of the Caribbean film with my teeth clenched, hoping it wouldn't be a disaster. Instead, it was the best of the series and a big hit. If these producers are aiming for something similar, and it sounds like they are, based on the little they've said about their approach, it could definitely work.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Nope. Pine is a classic "leading man". He doesn't play villains, he doesn't play mentors (yet), and he is looking to move beyond sidekick to female lead. The announcement stated that he was "staring in", not "appearing in".

He also fits with what we learned about the movie before his casting was announced - "looking for an A list leading man to headline".
Ugh, wasnt Pine the villain in Horrible Bosses 2? By the writers of the guys doing the D&D movie?

Remove ads

Remove ads