• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.

D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Russ Morrissey

Russ Morrissey

Standard fantasy using iconic spells, powers, monsters should do it. Don't shy away from having a cleric or paladin that heals, a wizard that casts fireball or even something as simple as thunderwave. Make the magic and monsters look like D&D magic and monsters which have their own spin.

For me it's less about the setting (although of course that's important too) than replicating the visuals of the actual game mechanics without getting bogged down in the details of how the mechanics work. So no "magic dust", have something other than a red dragon that breaths something other than fire, have a beholder that's actually the terrifying monster that it should be. Lots of ways to make it a D&D movie no matter what the setting is.
it also needs to be fun and sufficiently good.

Standard fantasy using iconic spells, powers, monsters should do it. Don't shy away from having a cleric or paladin that heals, a wizard that casts fireball or even something as simple as thunderwave. Make the magic and monsters look like D&D magic and monsters which have their own spin.
There is a lot to be said for this approach. You don't tend to see everyday low level magic used by the protagonists in your typical fantasy movie*. It's usually good guys with swords vs bad guys with magic nukes.

*Hawk the Slayer tried to do this, with an FX budget that just about stretched to silly-string.

wicked cool

Explorer
i wonder how much the writers in WOTC are involved in this. Would love to know if Perkins was asked etc.

Are all the actors so far being cast as human?
is it an established setting/module? Nobody talks about I being in icewind dale or saltmarsh

i wonder how much the writers in WOTC are involved in this. Would love to know if Perkins was asked etc.
WotC are consulted, but on matters related to lore, not plot.
Are all the actors so far being cast as human?
No one outside of the production knows.
is it an established setting/module? Nobody talks about I being in icewind dale or saltmarsh
No one outside of the production knows. It's a secret.

I would guess: no. Possibly a few Easter eggs.

It seems likely that WotC will want to roll out a sourcebook featuring the movie's setting, villains and so on, if it's a success. That feels like it would make it less likely that it'd be set in Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep, since there would be a segment of their audience that would feel those had already been covered adequately.

I'd guess an entirely new setting or an area we haven't seen fleshed out, to the extent that WotC has any control over this. (And they might have some input, as the owners of the IP.) Of the two choices, an entirely new setting would be easiest for the filmmakers, since there's no canon to worry about.

It seems likely that WotC will want to roll out a sourcebook featuring the movie's setting, villains and so on, if it's a success. That feels like it would make it less likely that it'd be set in Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep, since there would be a segment of their audience that would feel those had already been covered adequately.

I'd guess an entirely new setting or an area we haven't seen fleshed out, to the extent that WotC has any control over this. (And they might have some input, as the owners of the IP.) Of the two choices, an entirely new setting would be easiest for the filmmakers, since there's no canon to worry about.
How about a nice new starter box to go along with that movie? While I know "we" have enough starter boxes, a rollout of a new one to coincide with the movie seems like an easy tie in. Especially if they don't do any more novelty one between now and then.

How about a nice new starter box to go along with that movie? While I know "we" have enough starter boxes, a rollout of a new one to coincide with the movie seems like an easy tie in. Especially if they don't do any more novelty one between now and then.
A starter set is an excellent idea. If you're going to cast gorgeous stars -- and presumably get them to agree you can use their likenesses -- it makes sense to splash them on the cover of as many game products as possible.

ART!

Hero
Monopoly D&D would be terrible because monopoly is a game that should not be.
It was announced back in November, so that which should not be has come to pass! I assume that instead of attaining locations you're gathering treasures, but it's probably stupider even than that.

Also, Monopoly is considerably better if people play by the actual rules. (Almost no one does; they just think they do.) When played by the RAW, games take about 30 minutes, are actually strategic and fun.

The writer/director, John Francis Daley, is a huge D&D nerd. I think we're good on that. He recently said in an interview, "Daley: I also play a weekly game of Dungeons & Dragons which has now become Zoom games. That is also a fun way to keep your foot in that world as you are writing a movie about it."

The other partner, Goldstein, also said, "We are working with the Wizards of the Coast, the brand holders of D&D. They are the experts. We have people there that we work with and it's pretty helpful, because as much as we know about D&D, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the 45 years of lore that's out there, so these guys are such a resource. If we need a particular spell that a [high]-level wizard could do, they could give us a list. It's a lot of fun.
Well, I hope everyone is serious about making it good, because every previous movie was pathetic. The cartoon at least captured a sort of crazy early-teen D&D game vibe, probably thanks to Gary being involved. I was rather past the target age for that, but as cartoons go there's not too much to criticize there...

But Hollywood and D&D? What you say sounds good, but we shall see. Hollywood basically seems to manage to butcher 99.9% of all sci-fi horribly, even when the people making the material have good consultants and scripts, so we know what is TYPICAL!

Visit Our Sponsor

An Advertisement

Advertisement4