D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
art critics are strange to me they tools they use make sense but the biases seem so odd.
An art teacher who I really admired taught us that art criticism should never be about what the critic likes or doesn't like. Actual criticism is about the traditions of the medium, the artist's intention, the artists' technique, and that sort of thing. "I like X" and "I don't like Y" isn't criticism, it's just opinion wankery.

An art teacher who I really admired taught us that art criticism should never be about what the critic likes or doesn't like. Actual criticism is about the traditions of the medium, the artist's intention, the artists' technique, and that sort of thing. "I like X" and "I don't like Y" isn't criticism, it's just opinion wankery.
And that is the why of the issue. Back then film critics where completely ignorant about science fiction. They where not qualified to comment on "the traditions of the medium".

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
in films especially I see to forms of them, spectacle selling films and message selling films they seem to mix them up into the same thing.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Most of us who went to see The Slow Motion Picture had seen TOS, so we already knew what a Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser looks like. But if you cut between two completely unfamiliar space vessels, then to the people inside one of them, is it that obvious which ship they are in?

It's an artificial situation of course. No one choosing to go to see a Star Trek movie would be as ignorant of the TV series as a critic who is only there because they have to be.
What I meant to get across by mentioning clarity is that the way the sequence is filmed and edited, it's clear what's going on. They said they were confused when the Enterprise arrives at the physical interior of V'ger and there aren't any aliens (Klingons) there, because they thought the aliens were...in the cloud? There's no way they could have thought that while watching that initial sequence unless they just weren't paying attention...or were mind-numbed by the end of the movie, when they wrote the review. ;)

Which is part of the GenericFantasyland of Disney animation - didn't you know it shares a world with Tangled Etc? It does exactly what FR does and borrows from real world cultures. Frozen 2 is the most D&D movie currently in circulation, with it's take on elementals almost a direct steal.

Parts of the Forgotten Realms are 1850 minus guns. and parts are 1850 with guns.

Waterdeep nobles:
View attachment 132630
Arrendale nobles:

View attachment 132631
I dunno what to tell you. It's not a generic fantasyland. It's highly culturally specific. As for the FR, there's an obvious problem with your claim, that being that literally every period in human history has been ripped off at some point or another by the Forgotten Realms. There is no past-set Disney movie where you're not going to be able to find some FR illustrate that doesn't have a totally superficial resemblance. The example exactly you show is incredibly superficial - the Arrendale example shows dresses and jackets that are clearly a modern take on Regency era stuff, with a sort of hint of the US South and just incredibly horrible boots on the dude. I'm practically puke. That's violence against good taste man.

But point is, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules (yeah, even that, thanks to Chessenta), Mulan, Princess and the Frog, Pocohontas, The Emperor's New Groove (yup), Hunchback, probably a bunch of others, you can find at least the same level of similarity or higher.

What you're showing is that the Forgotten Realm is ultra-cheesy ultra-generic fantasy magpie that will steal any look from any historical period if it feels like. That's it.

As for "the most D&D movie in current circulation", I think Onward would like to have a word with you. A movie literally inspired by D&D. Frozen 2 isn't even the most D&D Disney movie released in the last couple of years... Onward is and it's not even a fight. And Raya looks set to be way more "D&D" than Frozen 2, but with again, not "Generic Fantasyland", replete with swordfighting, magic powrs, ancient tombs full of traps and puzzles, magical monsters, dragons, and so on.

Tangled is Generic Fantasyland, note, and I don't think that helped it at all. It's not a hook. It's non-hook. It's active avoidance of an obvious way to get the audience interested in favour of what, pleasing a few aging grogs?

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Folks are way overestimating impact of setting on this upcoming D&D film. There has been mention of using Guardians of the Galaxy as a template. What do you know about the setting of that world? Not much really. There are aliens and a group of thieves called ravagers but what else? It was a character driven ensemble filck. We know some rather impactful background elements of each character but nothing indepth. Racoon was built in a lab for some reason. Why? Nobody cares. Groot is some tree being. Where is he from what's his people like? Nobody cares.

You also have to look at the writers. They make their bread and butter on character driven ensemble flicks. The background setting is paper thin in all their movies. Dont think we should expect any different here.

err.. yes?
Okay, lemme break it down for you:

Your success: Proving the Forgotten Realms is Generic Fantasyland
Your failure: Proving that Frozen 2 is Generic Fantasyland.

I feel like you were trying to do the latter. If not, okay, I misunderstood.

Folks are way overestimating impact of setting on this upcoming D&D film. There has been mention of using Guardians of the Galaxy as a template. What do you know about the setting of that world? Not much really.
Agree. My contention is just there's no reason to set in an ultra generic fantasy setting as opposed a slightly more specific and exciting fantasy setting. It was proposed that for unclear reasons you "needed" set it in a more generic D&D setting at first, which is clearly not the case.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I am a naively optimist on movies, I assume I will love it until the ending credits, then I may have to go "oh well, that was disappointing", but until then I allow myself to look forward with high expectations.

However, the one thing I hope to the heavens for: Please by all the powers, don't let the Marketing Team mess it up. Give it a good name (not John Carter), don't market it as a high action romp if it is grim and dark, don't market it as Lord of the Rings if it is Eberron (or vice versa).

Remove ads

Remove ads